1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A great day fishing

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pocatello, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I spent a great day today trout fishing with two friends on Jackson Lake in Grand Teton National Park. The one friend has a cabin cruiser he keeps at the northern end of the lake at Leek's Marina. He lives in Idaho Falls, we live in Pocatello, and we all left home about 5 AM, so he was about 40 minutes ahead of us. He drove straight up to get the boat ready, while the two of us from Poky stopped for a quick breakfast at Jackson Hole, and arrived at the dock around 8:30. We quickly got loaded and crossed over to the west side of the lake to begin fishing. The lake was almost glass smooth, the day was sunny with hardly a cloud, and the scenery can't be beat. We started fishing with red and white Daredevels, two on the surface, and one on a downrigger at about 25 feet. Almost as soon as we had a line wet we started catching fish. It was pretty steady all morning, with Cutts and Mackinaw in about equal proportion. We had our limit of six apiece before noon, with at least as many released as we kept. The Cutts were mostly between 14" and 17", and the Macks up to about 22". After we limited we had a leisurely lunch on the boat, cruised around to take in the scenery, and were back to the dock by 3. Then a leisurely drive home over Teton Pass and along the South Fork of the Snake. Life is good, and sometimes it is fun to get away from trapshooting!

In a day or so I'll try to post a picture of our stringer of trout to make you wish you could live in the greatest part of the country too.

2. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

Like the great fisherman, Izaak Walton, once said,
    "The time a man spends fishing is not counted against
    his lifetime". I think that is absolutely true, unless
    we start talking about Tournament Bass fishermen. I think
    the time spent Tournament Bass fishing is deducted at
    least twice!....

AdamsRibs

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

AdamsRibs, I agree about the bass fishing. Been at it for 27 yrs. Backing off a little to shoot some trap again this yr. From the frying pan into the fire. LOL----Steve

4. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

Steve,
    The one question that must be asked of every Tournament
    Bass Fisherman is; How much HorsePower 'ya got on that
    thang? I assume the trolling motor is at least 75 Horse,
    just to be keeping up with the Waltons......

Adam

PS: I don't know which one is more stressful, Tournament
    Bass Fishing or Registered Trap Shooting???

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Well, Adam,I don't know which is really more stressful, but I do know they are both expensive. As for the boat and motor, I have 67lbs. of thrust at the bow and only run a 150 optimax on an R-series Ranger. 62m.p.h. on GPS. Fast enough for an old man.LOL--Steve--Oh, and by-the-way don't have to get up every morning at 3 to get to a shoot and can sit down between events.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

SStrap, It sounds to me like you are running a 15 foot bass boat. Around here you must have a min. of 10 horse power per foot of boat. So a 20 foot bass boat requires at least a 200 hp. motor. But I live not to far from Lake O.and that is the run of thumb down here.Break-em all. Jeff

7. gotbass

gotbass Member

Having done both and owning a 20 foot boat with a 225 horse motor I will state that trap shooting is the most stressful as you only have yourself to blame. Bass fisherman can always say that they fish were just to smart that day, but no selfrespecting trapshooter will admit to being out smarted by a clay bird. Trap is at least 90% mental. Bass fishing requires less mental. Therefore trapshooters are smarter? Trapshooters are more mental, no, trapshooters need mental health services more than bass fishermen. I've got it, both are forms of mental illness. Nuff said. Mike

8. teleskier

teleskier Member

There is only one kind of fishing....and that is BASS fishing....PERIOD

9. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Jeff, not really sure what you are trying to say in your post, but I do sense a bit of skeptisim and lack of knowledge about bass boats on your part. No, my boat is not a 15 footer. It is 18ft. 10in. with a 10 inch setback on it. Set up by Ozawkie marina in Kansas in 1999.

Whereas I do not live near Lake of the Ozarks, I have fished bass tournaments there since 1982. In 1988 I fished a B.A.S.S. regional tournament there finishing 4th and qualifying for the National Bass tournament held on the TN. river at Chatanooga that same yr.

By-the-way, what kind of a bass boat do you have and where do you fish most of your tournaments?---Good fishing and good shooting---Steve Elliott

10. dwmiller

dwmiller TS Member

I also tournament bass fished for 20 years.I backed off four years ago to shoot more with my kids. I think they both take mental fortitude to be successful.

20' Champion 200 Merc.

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Larry asked me to post these - sure looks like a great day of fishing to me!

Jackson Lake:

[​IMG]

And the sort of fishing that lake can provide:

[​IMG]

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.