1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Graduate and a Boxer Puppy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fssberson, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Well, the proud daddy has got to post this. My daughter, Samantha, graduated Tuesday night from Cal. State Univ. Northridge, with a Recreation, Tourism, Managment B. S. degree AND Wedsnesday got a Boxer puppy, 12 weeks old. The puppy's name is Lex for Lexingotn, Ky. where Samantha roomed with 4 other girls and two boxers [dogs]. If I knew how to post a picture of the puppy I would, he is the cutest darn thing and tough... doesn't take anything from the other dogs in the house. His daddy is 110#'s... hope he is not that big.

Now the really good news... Sam has a job starting today with the Marriott Hotels... actually in her major!

Boxer Question: for those who have boxers, are they as smart as people say? I have always had K9's, English Springers, and a Standard Poodle, all ranked in the top 10 dogs in intelligence. Boxers are ranked 48th, but people tell me how smart they are???? So...

Fred

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Boxers.....smart? not being a smart a$$, but most I've seen are a little quirky and have weird personalities.

3. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

My aunt and uncle have had 6 total boxers. In my opinion, not the brightest. They've also had a lot of health problems. The last two they got from Tennesse and seem to be a lot better than the previous.

Either way, dogs are sometimes only as smart as the owner. In your case, that dog is going to be very smart, lol.

Good luck with the pooch.

Matt Ski

4. laura!

laura! Member

Boxers are nowhere near as smart as German Shepherds but are way smarter than labs and Golden Retrievers. They are stubborn as hell when you're trying to break them of a bad habit. That said, they have very quirky personalities and mine cracks me up all the time. They are very loyal, can't catch a ball worth a shit, but love to chase them anyway and they don't shed. Mine is the kind of dog that will be hard to get over.

5. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

Can't tell you how smart they are compared to other dogs because it's all I ever had.Had one around now for the best part of 40 years and there will not be anything els for the next 40. Although the sickness thing is so very true,they can live to be 12 or 13 but average is about 8. Get them pictures onj here , I got to see it.

6. RJ

RJ TS Member

My neighbour has a Boxer and she is a very smart dog. My wife and I have a Labradoodle we got her as a puppy and she was checked out by one of the instructors that teach assisted living dogs. This test is just to see if they qualify to go on into the ptogram. And YES Moly is in, providing Uncle sam comes up with the money for her schooling. This is through the Veterans Administration. We had the guy who was working with Moly take a look at our Neighbors dog. He said they didn't normaly use this breed of dog for this situation , but he would this dog because it has been house trained properly and shows many qualities in doing what the dog is supposed to do after training. She is to old though, they have to be between 12 months and 30 months old, but will squeek them through at three years old. Or 36 Months.

An Assisted living Dog helps in the home when there is one that does not have the capabilities of tasking care of themselves by there selves very well That person is me. The person needs someone around at all time because of falling down and possible other things going wrong. This is our second dog. The first on was stung by s Scorpion and when we found it out it was to late to save her. We had her put down several months ago. We had her 10 years. One of the best 10 years we ever had with an animal. She would be the caretaker when my wife went out like to the store or to work then. She even knew how to dial 911 on the phone. This new one will learn just as much as the first one. Were looking to start her in school within the next two months.
    They can have there own health insurance and they see the vet two times a year no matter what is wrong or write with them. They have a special tag on there color as well as an imbeded number registered with the county. Just did Moly's implant. She didn,t even know it was placed in her. If we have to take her out of state then they issue her a folio with everything about her in it. Meaning all her shots and what kind of Dog she is. (RichinAz.)

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Had a shepherd and a rottweiler and now a standard poodle [plus the English Springer Field Trial dogs]... puppy boxer learned to go outside in two days [most of the time]. I felt the need to have another protection type dog. The poodle is the brightest, but nothing will take the place of the shepherd [just too much hair]. I will try to get a picture up here, but he is the cutest puppy in the USA. Fred

8. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I can speak from experience, we have had three total two were are males Gunner is our latest. Yes prone too cancer 6 to 10 years is our range. The fawns seem to run a little more stocky were the brindles are lighter. Great people dog and protect when they feel the need. My wife says when I leave the house the boxers move up a notch in alterness.They can be bull headed and will hog the sofa or bed.Gunner does not have his ears cropped but our first two did.Enjoy and good luck to your daughter and her room mates.
    Jim

9. LFT687

LFT687 Member

Had a boxer for 12 years. He was my best buddy from day one. Smart? Who decides, but he loved most everyone and tolerated those he didn't love. He was such a good looking dog that people driving by would stop and start conversations. If you are looking for a companion, you can't go wrong with a boxer. Great with children, too.

10. puddin

puddin TS Member

One word TRAINING. Everyone that says boxers are bull headed are right. But I cant think of another dog I would want. And you cant help but laugh at the old lady face they have! Chris

11. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

I certainly haven't known boxers to be stupid, but every one that I knew were hyper bundles of energy...

LWL

12. RickdM

RickdM TS Member

I think Boxers are plenty smart, just not always cooperative when it comes to training. They love everyone in the family and are extremely affectionate. My current Boxer never fails to bring a smile to my face. I grew up with a Boxer and as a teenager when I would take him for a walk I always had to keep him on a leash or off he'd go. But my little sister who has Down Syndrome would go out into the neighborhood and that dog would not stray more than two or three feet from her even without a leash. They can sense vulnerability and are extremely protective of their family. I won't own another breed.

rickdm

13. Bob M

Bob M Member

I'll echo what has already been said about the stubborn streak and protectiveness. I have noticed that ours seem to pick one member of the household and the dog seems to 'bond' to that person most of all. Outstanding companion dogs and great with kids. Ours have all been rescue dogs. They range from a still hyper 3 year old, Abby, to the grand old lady of the house, Gertrude. Gertrude is 13 and was in a puppy mill until she was 12. Vet says she probably had somewhere between 80 and 100 pups. She still wiggles and kidney beans when we come home. She is just so happy to have a family. Gonna be hard when she goes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.