1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A good habit

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hardage, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Here is some food for thought that I put at the end of a long thread but worth repeating.

For those of you shooting breakopen guns who reload. Try adding this to your preshot routine. Before reloading, look down the barrel and check for daylight. You might have to blow a bit of air to clear the smoke from time to time. It does two things, one it gives you a second or two to get your head right for the next shot, and two, it gives you a visual that your barrel is clear. It does not take long to make this a habit and it is very well worth it. It has saved my left hand twice so far.

Won't work for auto's of course.

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Maybe you can't look down the bbl. but if you blow in the receiver (auto or pump) a puff of smoke will tell you that the bbl. is clear, I have done this if & when shooting paper ever since I started shooting, actually ANY 2 piece hull. No smoke ??????? no shoot until I find out why. I personally have never had a base wad dislodge & stick in the bbl. but a couple months ago a friend (he shoots a SBT) and I were shooting some practice when he had an off sounding shell, we checked immediately & found about 1\2 (half) of a new style AA stuck (tightly) right in the choke, this is the one & only time I have witnessed this, but it just makes me more cautious. Ross Puls

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

One of my routines I have had since the day I started shooting trap.

4. Shawn

Shawn Member

I shot with a guy that did that once. It sounded like he was calling a moose.
    It was the first and last time we shot together.
    It was interesting.
    Shawn

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I was shooting sporting clays one winter day with the late Michigan Outdoors host, Fred Trost. Fred's timing was sometimes a little off. Getting set to blow down the barrels of his SxS, he opened the breech and simultaneously inhaled a great cloud of 700x smoke.

He said later it was an interesting high.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

another never happen horror story for the old BS-ers at the club.

7. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Blowing the smoke out of the barrel enables the shot to see the target better...

8. warren

warren Member

That's one reason I shoot a break open gun, however I've been told since I was a kid that blowing the smoke out of your gun causes rust because of the moisture in your breath, not sure it's true but it sounds reasonable to me.

warren

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

A REAL man would inhale vice blow, the smoke!

Guy B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.