1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

a good 12g shotgun for a women?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bore00, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bore00

bore00 TS Member

I am a female wanting to take up trap shooting and need some opinions on what type of shot gun to buy. I am about 5'10 and have played sports my entire life so I have an athletic build and have a strong upper body to support a gun. I am wanting an under/over shotgun, but I am not sure on whether to purchase a 12g or a 20g. Also, I have been looking at a few remingtons and also some berettas. I have grown up around guns and shot them quite often so I do not necessarily need a beginners gun. My budget is preferably around $1500, give or take. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Brandi Ore

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Brandi,

You should be alright with a 12ga. Go hangout at the local trap club and sample a few of what others are shooting. This will give you a lot better idea of what you want in a shotgun.

In the price range you mention, a good Beretta, SKB, or Browning should fit the bill.

ss

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yeah, do what short shucker says; ask shooters if you can admire and maybe shoot around with guns that attract you. I'd suggest sticking with 12 gauge since it can be loaded for less recoil while the 20 gauge will be more "maxed" out for serious target use. The 12 gauge generally will weigh a bit more also and that absorbs recoil. It sounds like you could handle the somewhat heavier guns. My two most favorite suggestions for beginners are an Over/Under break open gun so you can try any of the clay bird games having 2 shots available and the several auto-loaders which permit the same varied uses. Eventually, if the desire really bites you, you'll want a single barrel gun for handicap and singles but you can get along for many years with the O/U or auto-loader. Many of my "victims" have started that way and never changed. You could look for used Browning O/Us or used Remington 3200s; great guns for your price range. You will find many auto-loaders well under your price. Best of Luck!

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

there was a very nice Browning Special Trap that would be perfect for you here on TS..the fellow is asking 1295 and the gun looks as new...thats a great deal on a real comfortable shooter..you'll never lose money on it

5. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Def go with the 12 ga.from your description you should be able to handle anything with 30" barrels with no problem and there is a lot to chose from in your price range,try to stick with one of the newer models with backbored barrels as they help to reduce recoil.Jerry

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

You say you think you like O&Us, this is fine, but as with the above replies don't rush into the 1st one you see. Look around a little a your local club--watch what others are using-- ask lots of questions--most shooters are proud of their equipment and will gladly tell you all the good points & why they chose the one they are shooting. Don't discount the semi-autos too quickly they are very versatile & noticeably easier on your shoulder, especially on 100 or 200 bird shoots. Ammo selection is much larger and better availability in 12ga. Ask someone if you could try a few shots with their gun 99% will be pleased that you asked them and let you try their gun. Don't be overly concerned about a perfect fit with someone else' gun at this point you are just wanting to get a "feel" for the heft--balance--weight--swing--etc. the fitting process will come later. Does your husband--boyfriend have any interest in shooting (I hope) take him with you as sometimes it's a little overwhelming right at 1st. It's a GREAT sport & you will meet nicest people in the world. In my opinion I would look at 3200s for an O&U & an 1100 in semi-auto as they are both fairly easy to get repaired if needed. Good shooting--Ross Puls

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I just took in an old style BT-99 32"IMOD. This one is completely original and in great shape. The perfect Ladies gun. $799 plus shipping to your FFL!!

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

My wife shoots a 12 gauge browning single shot bt99 micro, she is 4' 10" tall.. my daughter who is 13 shoots a 12 gauge Perazzi, and we have a squad mate who is 14 and she shoots the 12 gauge bt99 micro also.. so to answer your question..yes..

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Try an 1100 or 1187 before you decide. Gas autos have less felt recoil than other action types.

10. mcurry2507

mcurry2507 TS Member

My wife shot my 30" browning XT with 1225fps 1 1/8 12ga with no problem. She is 5-7" 125lb. we just bought her a sx1 and she loves it more than the XT. (The SX1 is an auto)

11. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Brandi,

Definitely a 12 gauge with 1 oz loads. And don't be afraid to go to your local club and tell them that you're looking to purchase a 12 gauge and chances are pretty good that people will give you all the information you need (and probably let you try theirs!) and know someone who has a used gun for sale. I love Browning, a good solid gun, hold their value well, and you can definitely find one in your price range.

Once you find the gun, do yourself a favour and get it fit to you. It might take a little more money but we women have additional items on our chest that can impede a good fit! Trust me, a good fit is the difference between good and great scores.

Good luck--you'll meet the nicest people out there at a trap range and if you're ever in Minnesota look me up!

Calamity

12. mcurry2507

mcurry2507 TS Member

Keep in mind if your heart is on a o/u there is alot of recoil solutions like absorbers, cone cutting, and wieghts. And i bought that XT that is gradeIII for 1500. beautiful guns!

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Brandy, Do listen to the ladies on here!!! All Women that I have seen that had their shotguns fitted to them have a adj. comb and a adj. butt Plate. I too say go with a 12 ga. as well. Now there is a recoil system called Precision Fit Stocks that are made by Vern Brown (719) 547-4432 cell is 250-7727. His system works on the most common guns. Browning XT a few others and Beretta 682 and 687's, some others as well. This way you can shoot any 12 ga. load and it will feel like a 28 ga. or 410 ga. The adj. comb and butt plate will run about $400-$500 to install on your gun while you can get the PFS as they call it for around $800 (used) and it is totally adj. in every way and you can add weights to get it to balance any gun. Most guns are made to fit men so this added stock is a winner for women. You can sell gun and PFS stock seperately if you ever stop shooting and get all your money back. You'll never get your money back on a adj. comb and butt plate. Forget the auto's, there is a reason most people have called them a jamb-o-matic since I was a small child. Now go out to your local clubs and see if you can shoot different guns. You may find 28 inch barrels better than the 30 inch, but try both. Have fun with it and take your time and you will end up with a gun for a lifetime. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

14. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Brandi:

Please do exactly as the other ladies here suggest, no matter what you buy have it fit to you. Your learning curve will be alot easier and much more enjoyable. It seems you have an idea what you want, I'd suggest talking to some local shooters about what they shoot. What problems they have had with the gun and why they like it. I'll bet a few will let you try theirs and then you'll have a good idea what you really want in a gun. Have fun! HJH

15. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Bore00; Try to get your hands on a trap plus.I have found them to be the the best for women shooters do to recoil and adjustments.A 4 way adjustable pad makes them the the best to fit almost any shooter.The price is just a little over your range but you won't ever lose any mony if you decide to sell which I will bet never happens.I would think a 30 inch barrell is best for a smooth swing and great from 16 to 27.The o/u or single are are very good and parts are easy to get if you need them other than for the recoil system.Resale is easy if you want to.

16. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Several clay target videos that address women shotgun shooting (scroll down the page).

http://www.losttarget.com/claysforwomen.html

Also, a number of links for women shooters in general.

17. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

Brandi,

Here are two that I have currently for sale, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Jonathan

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=240960&Messages=7

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=240961&Messages=4

18. zzoom

zzoom Member

my wife started shooting with me last year, shoots BT-99 micro that we had stock cut to fit her better. Great gun for her, you should consider all above advice, do include a 99 before you buy. Reasonable cost with good resale when you want to "upgrade" down the road

19. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Browning Citori Plus.

Won't be that easy to find, but one shows up on here occasionally so they are out there. Already has all the adjustments on board to get it to fit you (after the addition of a Jones Stock adjuster - about $50). On board recoil reducing device, decent weight that won't wear you out, 30"-32" barrel lengths, no complicated action to malfunction or keep meticulously clean, no shells flying onto other shooters (or shell catcher to buy and maitain), just walk out there, mount and shoot. Should easily be within your price range.

If you had said you wanted a single barrel gun, then a Browning BT99 Plus Micro.

Good luck.

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Next time I need trapshooting advice, I'm going to have a woman ask for me...look at the response! And she got all kinds of good advice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12g shotgun for women

best way for woman to shoot 12g