1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A G OOD way to buy tires

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kolared person, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

I just bought some tires from discount tires direct. They are completely professional.They have low prices free postage and no tax unless you live in ohio texas or california. Check it out?

2. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I'll also make a plug for tirerack.com

They did a great job for me.

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

What did you pay to have the tires mounted and balanced? What will you do when your tires need service or you have an issue that may be a warranty issue? Just some food for thought, after spending thrity years in that industry a pet peve was a customer tha bought products from a Tire Reack or Discount tire wholesalers that offer no service after the sale.

4. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I dont think I could walk into a tire shop and ask them to mount some tires I bought off the internet...

5. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I did. $20 per tire, take off mount and balanced.
    Saved over $200 by going with tirerack

6. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tire Rack has a list of shops in their website, that will install tires bought from them. You have the option of having the tires shipped to you, and have them installed on your car; or have the tires shipped directly to these shops for installation on your vehicle. I have bought four sets of tires from tirerack without any problem, and with substantial savings. Chichay

7. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

www.treadepot.com is another source.

8. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I had a little bit of a unique situation Bruce in that I bought rims too so they came mounted. If I was just buying the tiresi don't know if I would have done an online purchase.

9. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Be sure to shop around on the net between the tire outlets. I found when looking for a set of somewhat hard to find 17" tires for my wifes ride, that prices vary widely. The same Cooper tire went from $177 to $97, and you have to be sure they do not gouge you for the shipping.

I get mine mounted on the wheels and balanced at the local ag co-op tire shop. They sell farm tires mostly and are not really in the auto tire business. In the winter things are always slow for them, they are glad to switch out a set of tires just to break up the day. I take them off the vehicle and haul them in. $9 each for mount and balanced and new valve stems.

10. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I have done tire rack too. Local guy mount and balance. Saved about $100.

Mike

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My last set of tires came from Treadepot, top of the line stuff at about $100 per hole less than the quote from the local big name tire retailer.

I also had some guilt pangs about taking those internet tires into a local shop for mounting and balancing but I did it. The folks there were more than happy to do the mount and balance at their usual rate. I paid them $40 cash and when you think about it it wasn't a bad deal for them. A local guy got some wages and the store didn't have anything invested in inventory. Also being cash well .... thats the end of that story.

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I used to get mine direct from Michelin (one of the few perks that trickled down to engineering). The UPS guy delivered them and I would have my GM dealer install them.

Jim Skeel

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

If you own a vehicle that is often customized, you would be surprised the deals you can get at a custom wheel shop. My buddy got 4 take off tires for his suburban that still had the nubs on them for a little over $200.00. I guess some people do not care what bling costs.

14. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

I will NEVER and I repeat NEVER purchase from Discount Tire.

We tried them out for a set of tires and the price was OK, but they offered 90 days same as cash if we applied for their credit card.

A month later, we were called by their collection department because we didn't pay the interest on the account. I said "HUH? we are on the 90 days same as cash plan", they were rude and basically treated me like a piece of garbage...

Long story short, I immediately paid off and closed the account. It's amazing when they say "Why do you want to close your account?" after treating their customers like trash.

No further purchases from me, or my friends or family. I tell everyone when I have a bad experience with a store.

They lost out on a good future customer.

I now visit Les Schwab for my tire needs and haven't had a single issue with them.

15. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bought the Michelin's for my car from Tire Rack and saved about $250 after all was said and done.

Bob

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you belong to a wholesale club like Sam's or BJ's, check with them. I use all Michelin tires and belong to BJ's. Like most of those places, they only stock the fast-moving models of four or five brands but can get you any model of tire from the manufacturers they represent. About three times a year, Michelin has a 30-day or so $70 discount if you buy four tires and BJ's takes the $70 right off the sale price of the tires - no waiting for a rebate check. Coupled with BJ's lower prices, that brings a set in pretty cheap. Plus they offer free rotation AND spin balancing every 5,000 miles.

Ed

17. shadow

shadow Active Member

I just did a computer search for the best price and took the printout to my Ford dealer. They matched the price.

18. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

IF you know EXACTLY what tire you want, go to Ebay. Look for an established Seller with consistent good Feedback and a Return Policy. Last 4 tires for my wife's Range Rover were sourced on Ebay. VERY happy customer since I could not get tires locally. Toyo tires. Much cheaper than the local guy (that quit selling the tires we like) even with mount & balance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.