1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A First In 11 years - Mec Repair

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hmb, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What's a groumet? HMB

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

How many shells you loaded, 200 in eleven years? Mec's don't last that long without some problems, if they are used all the time. No way, I've had to many. You a troll?

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I bought a MEC 650 used, pre owner says it was bought new in 80. I bought it replaced the primer tray spring and the charge bar spring, they where rusty. I havr loaded 3000 shells so far. No problems. I do not know how many he loaded? He just told me enough to shoot. Proper care and cleaning....many things can go a long long way.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Shoot410ga, Squibb and I must be the exception to the rule. I bought a used 9000G four years ago and have loaded just shy of 30,000 rounds and have never had to fix anything on it since I started using it. I also have 20, 28, 410 which I purchased used and have yet to replace anything on them except for installing an adj. charge bar. I use the 410 and 28 more than anything else. Jackie B.

Yes, I know that is not 11 years but considering the amount of use they are doing very well.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Can't guess at the round count (it was high), but went through 2 gas springs in 7 years. Good machine though.

6. tomk2

tomk2 Member

What truly amazed me is that you make shotshells specificaly for shoot offs.

7. K-80 GUY

K-80 GUY TS Member

I must have the poster child for MEC 650s. I bought mine in 1972 and the only thing I ever changed was the rubber washer under the shot bottle and the only thing added was an adjustable powder/shot bar.

I have in excess of 200,000 rounds through it.

Jon.

8. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I have loaded over 30,000 with my used Grabber I bought in 1999. I have replaced several parts. No complaints.

I too use the Universal Charge Bar and no problems with it. Ray.......

9. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

That's why you don't count the cost of your reloader when calculating shell costs.

The cost for a 9000G is around $400. If you reload 100k rounds the cost is $.004/round. I see most of the responses show very minor maintenance costs.

Best,
    Dennis

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I too have had outstanding performance from a '70s Grabber and a late 80's 9000H. Both are equipped with adj. bars and are still clicking better than my glass back, rubber arm, and addled brain. At the first sign of a sticking bar, I change out the rubber grommets and check for a sheared piece of shot. A little lube and common sense and I'm back in business. I even still use the orange replaceable wad fingers on the ancient Grabber....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. shot410ga

I thought that would get the attention of all the hard core Mec users. You get what you pay for. I never liked Mec's. They have to many punched sheet metal parts, and sound like everything is about to break everytime you pull the handle. Everytime I loaded on one I though it was going to "Rock and Roll" itself off the bench.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have sold and serviced most brands of presses. I prefer and recommend the Mec 9000. Period.

If it does go belly up, it is cheap and quick to fix. If a person cannot load a great shell with it, they probably need adult supervision for most of the day. LOL

13. K-80 GUY

K-80 GUY TS Member

I have 3 MEC 650s and I cannot find one punched sheet metal part. Don't know where you got yours but I think you are FOS.

14. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

There are about a dozen people on this site who do not use MEC reloaders. Whatever. The rest of us use MEC or buy new.

MEC owns the reloading business in the USA. It's machines are the standard. If reloaders had to rely on the few other makes, there would be no reloading worth talking about.

MEC runs the show with an excellent machine at an affordable price.

15. shot410ga

OK, OK, You've beat me up. Mec's are great!!

16. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Say Uncle, 410.

17. shot410ga

Uncle. So sorry, so sorry. Mec's are the king, except for Spolar, Dillon, and DL 366's. Please note! I did not include PW's in the other "list."

18. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Lets see,

My dad bought our first 650Jr, in the early 70's, we loaded many thousends of shells with it, until he decided that a grabber was the way to go, I know it is just me but that grabber is a pain!

he had sold the 650, no reason to have to loaders!

After a few years of fighting that grabber, a friend with a 650Jr, said he was jto an age where he just, couldn't shoot enough to keep a reloader around. I bought that reloader that had even more shell reloaded then either the 650 I started with, or the grabber.

After between 6 and 8 thousend reloads, the handle cracked, that grabber donated it's handle until I had a chance to but a new handle, what's that 10 12 bucks?

The other day I was replacing another part that the grabber had given up to my 650, for grabber it is called a mounting bracket, for the 650 it is called the knockout bracket.

In 30 to 35 years, and some thousends of shells, the only gripe I have had with my MEC's and other then just not getting along with that grabber, are 2 bent 1 that just would not stay adjusted, knockout brackets, a mounting bracket from the grabber fit in here perfectly and stays adjusted by the way, and one handle.

For the use that I have gotten out of may MEC's that is pennies per year in up keep, I would not use anything else!

Al

19. oz

oz Active Member

don't forget the little brass spring washer under the grommet in the powder side. oz

20. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

I wish I had your luck with MECs. I do love my 9000G, especially since I mounted it on an Automate, but it does break regularly. On the other hand, I have loaded a minimum of 80,000 rounds each year for the last 3 years. Even when I had a PW, I loaded over 20,000 rounds on the MEC. I believe the total number of rounds I've loaded on it is now approaching 400,000. That's an average of 80,000 rounds/year. I've had the MEC for 5 years, gone through 6 handles in the first 3 years (metal fatigue at the bend), 3 collects 1 crimp station, one turret, and I've lost count of the number of wad guides I've replaced. I also had MEC rebuild it once. They just aren't designed for the volume of shells I reload, but with everything, it's still a lot cheaper than a Spolar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.