1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A-FIB

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootsome, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsome

shootsome Member

I've had a-fib for three years. Didn't know I had it unitl I had a routine EKG. I have chronic a-fib which means I'm constantly in a-fib. I had three cardio-versions, two ablations, and all the anti-arrythmics available to no avail. Looks like I'm stuck with it. I have a question for those folks with a-fib. Did it effect your shooting negatively? I went from a 94 average in singles to an 82 average in three years. Is it the a-fib or is it some other problem effecting me?

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Sir:
    I can't even imagine continuous A-fib! I have fought with mine for at least 7 years and it only flares up once in a while! I take sotalol (not sure right spelling?!) which controls it 99+% of the time! However, when mine acts up, such as in the middle of the night, no amount of beating on my chest (I have even contemplated using my dog's shock collar) stops the event. Sometimes mine lasts for well over an hour and I have tried different things to no avail! Again, I emphathize with you if it is continuous! I can't even imagine shooting with it! Tom Rhoads

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Can it have an efect on your shooting?? I had it for 39 days in a row and could not walk up the stairs to the second floor without stopping to rest. I couldn't dream of picking up a gun to shoot a round. I couldn't last that long. When your heart is in A-fib you are only getting about 40% of the oxygen needed for your system. Your heart is not pumping properly(effiently) and as a result your body does not get enough oxygen. I was fortunate in the fact that after having it for around 12 years an ablation did the trick for me. Now I only seem to get skipped beats now and then. I understand there is a new procedure, a different type of ablation. Find a doctor that is really up on this and find out about it. Bulge.

4. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I was diagnosed with that problem in 1956 when I joined the Military, spent 20 years in the Navy with a few tours of duty with the Fleet Marine Forces in both the Atlantic and Pacific Fleets, Have been on mediation for about 12 years and just enjoy the hell out of every day. Spent 3 tours in Viet-Nam and never had a problem, I am 72 , I se my Dr every 3 months and take 7 different meds. I shoot trap year round here in Fla. with temps ranging from ;ow 30's to upper 90's, I refuse to give in. See a Doctor and get it taken care of. I also hunt every fall. Woody

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a college classmate that just won the senior national cycling championships in Bend Ore this month

He has AFib

I imagine thinking about it has a great effect on your shooting

Heck thinking about anything has an effect on your shooting

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. shootsome

shootsome Member

If there is anything good about my a-fib, the only symptom I notice is being short of breath. I don't have the rapid, out of control, heart beating that a lot of guys have. It just beats in a random inconsistent way all the time. The main reason I've tried to get rid of it is the chance of blood pooling in the heart and pumping a clot which will result in a stroke - the end of my shooting days -or any day for that manner. I guess as long as I'm in a-fib my shooting will be shity.

7. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

I have it also, I don't have it all the time like you but when it does hit me it effects everything I do. I was at a shoot last weekend and doing great, I was 25 for 25 and was on my way. We was walking to the next trap house to shoot our second round, about half way there it hit me. I went ahead and shot and shot 16/25. I sat down after we shot for a few minutes and it stopped. shot a 23,24. I think for me it does effect my shooting. Rick

8. shootsome

shootsome Member

Gene in Iowa,
    Your college class mate is a remarkable guy winning a cycling championship while in a-fib. I used to run 4 miles every day but the doctors told me to stop when I got diagnosed with a-fib (I'm 68). Now they tell me I need more exercise. The longer I go to doctors the more I think many of these guys were educated beyond their intelligence.

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Shootsome, i hope you are on a blood thinner of some type so your blood doesn't clot. Bulge.

10. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I had A-fib all my life. I'm 65 now, but my heart would take off at anytime without warning ( Standing around shooting baskets, or trap shooting or watching TV etc.). I was always afraid of doctors so I never got it checked out.
    I had 2 strokes this past August, one at my sisters house and one at the hospital.
    I take rat poison (Warfaran, Coumaden) and other meds. I shot 21/25 at 16 yds this past Sunday, I am glad I made it to the emergency room. A-fib is nothing to wait on, I am just very lucky to be alive. Modern medicine has come along way and still has alot of hard work to solve the cancer issues and so on. Checking out things on TS.com relaxes me, but the A-Fib would still put my heart in race mode.
    See a doctor is all I can say sooner the better. I am on a special diet of salad
    only food. Some times I break the rules at my own risk! Keep shooting until the doc says stop and then break the rules once in awhile!! Good Luck to everyone.

Harry

11. g7777777

Obviously everyone cant do what he did- and his doctors said exercise is good and there is a risk

I guess there is a risk to anything

Its kind of like jumping out of an airplane- when you are in freefall you can be absolutely certain of only one thing- that you will hit the ground

This guy took the risk

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. g7777777

Obviously everyone cant do what he did- and his doctors said exercise is good and there is a risk

I guess there is a risk to anything

Its kind of like jumping out of an airplane- when you are in freefall you can be absolutely certain of only one thing- that you will hit the ground

This guy took the risk

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. shootsome

shootsome Member

Harry, I like your attitude! Rules are made to be broken!

I'm beginning to think the medical profession over plays the impact of life style on health. I used to work with a bunch of guys that went out for lunch every day so they could have a smoke. Not me. I went to the gym and rode the thread mill and did the weights. My buddies are all in better shape than me health wise! I think it's in the genes. You either have it or you don't. Nothing you can do to prevent it if it's in the genes. I only wish now that I would have drank a lot more scotch and smoked a lot more cigars!

14. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

My wife has had it for the past ten years. She has had two ablations and a pace-maker installed. She still has to take medication and it still beats her up when it acts up. I know there is a new procedure for the ablations where they use freezing instead of burning. Dr. at Rush in Chicago is the inventor, and it is supposed to be more effective and less damaging.
    Pat

15. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've had it for the past 18 months or so. I've been on meds to prevent clotting and I have had no problems with my shooting. In fact, since I stopped looking back at my barrel (I didn't realize I was doing it), my shooting has greatly improved over last year.

I've had several doctors tell me that the studies show that someone in A-Fib is no more likely to suffer a heart attack than someone who is in sinus rhythm. The danger of A-Fib is a clot causing a stroke and the meds keep that from happening (I sure hope).

Other than sometimes noticing the irregular beat, my only symptom is the shortness of breath. For example, if I had to walk two miles, I'd get there. But it'd take a while and I'd have to stop and rest several times to get my breath back.

My doctors say no to exercise.

Bob

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

This is a subject I'm all too familiar with. I've suffered with a-fib all my life. My heart just goes in and out of it whenever it feels like it. Early on, my doctor diagnosed it as an "irregular heart beat". Well, I didn't do anything about it for about 60 years, and never seemed to suffer any ill effects from it other than periodic shortness of breath. At 60, my doctors told me I was running a major risk for a stroke because of my age, and put me on coumaden and was told to have my protyme level checked twice a week. Well, that lasted about 6 months, and after failing miserably to control the vitamin k in my body, and making continueous trips to the coumaden clinic, I went to a cardiologist. I told him I was done taking the coumaden and there had to be another way. He put me on a one aspirin a day regimen (Bayer 325mg.) That worked fine until I was 65. Next trip to the doctor, he told me I was running a higher risk of a stroke the older I got and wanted me to go back on the coumaden. I flat refused. After doing some extensive research, I found a new drug on the market that is safer, and more effective than coumaden, and requires no testing. The drug is Pradaxa. One pill in the morning and one at night and no more problems. A-fib has never, to my knowledge, effected my shooting. I can feel it coming and just relax, let it take its course, and continue on. It very seldom lasts for more than a minute or two.... Check with your doctors and inquire about Pradaxa. It is the ONLY alternative to coumaden, and it's safer......... Just my experience...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. g7777777

Another A Fib story- I was on a medivac flight going back to Walter Reed. A young LT was also on the flight-

His chest had been crushed between two tanks

I saw him sometime later at Walter Reed and he was up and walking around- several weeks later

He told me that his life had been saved- when the doctors operated they found he had some growth of extra nerves that could have caused his heart to stop anytime- but that because of the operation the doctors saw that and corrected it.

Probably like anything each case is different and each individual is different

Regards from Iowa

Gene

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've also had it most of my life, it does bother me sometimes, lately most of the time is when I'm sleeping it wakes my up, kind of like apnea, I always get short on breath from it

I can't wait until the Va starts using Prodaxia, but that will probably be another 50 yrs, as they always go lowest bid

The main PITA is the tests every month, sometimes it will go wacko for no reason then I have to go in every 2 weeks

The stupid part is I had it when I was in the USAF, passed flight physicals as they too called it irregular heart beat, they said it was no problem at the time, but the cardiologist that discovered that I had it said it was impossible for me to have had it back then, but I couldn't hardly make out his English

19. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Gene, this subject has come up at least 3 times in the past year and each time we all seem to reach the same conclusion. A-fib has an effect on different individuals in different ways. Mine would knock me out of action but a friend that worked with me also had it and it didn't do anything noticable to him. He didn't know when he was in A-fib. A lot like diabetes in that it has different problems with different individuals. Bulge.

20. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've had one cardio-version...and have gone into a-fib a few times since but could resolve it with a hard cough...thankfully...no other adverse effects...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.