1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Bad Win factory 209 primers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by striper, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I have probably loaded at least 10,000 factory 209 primers and never had a bad one until this last 100. I have had 5 primers that were struck by my mod 12 firing pin and they did not discharge! Tried several times and then gave them to another fellow shooter to see if it was my firing pin and nothing! Is this a rarity or should one expect this every now and then? We took several of them apart and everything else checked out. Has this happened to others?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Has never happened to me but considering how many primers are manufactured it is not surprising that a few can be bad. Send them back to Winchester and you might get an answer.

Also, make sure your firing pin is not broken. A M-12 will shoot much of the time with a broken pin.

Pat Ireland

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

As shooters I think we sometimes jump to a conclusion about components too quickly. If it bothers you that much call Winchester with the Lot number. They need and want to know more than anyone else.

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I have one AA primer sitting on my work bench that was struck twice and no detonation. Cut the shell open, saved the components, primer looks normal, but did not go bang. Fred

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

i just bought 2k of them b/c thats what I like in the .410,,,at $27/k they better go off every friggin time

6. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

This is the reason I stopped using them 5 years ago

7. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Yes...quite a few over the last year. Daughters SX-1, my Y model 12, and BT-99 all fail to detonate the Winchester primers.

I probably have about 30-35 loaded shells with multiple dents in them. I forgot to take them to the grand last year to show the Winchester guys.

I even started seating them a little proud of the rim to help alleviate any question of adequate strike depth...seemed to matter very little.

Bob

8. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I had a few back in 1999 or 2000. Winchester said something about the anvil. Gave me $10.00 gift certificates to spend on Winchester products but our club Manager (?) would not accept them. I still have them even thou expired.

At the Arkansan state shoot, same time frame, one person had over a hundred that did not fire.

Winchester said it is a very small percentage of all the numbers of them being made. I am sure that is right.

Cost me a $60.00 win at one shoot. Oh well.

I still use them and have not had any problems since. Winchester supports our shooting sport and I support them. Ray......

9. joshif

joshif TS Member

Did you say that you took primers apart? You like to roll the dice don't you? Tell me you didn't take a primer apart and all the components of it checked out OK. Please elaborate.

10. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

I've had dud primers with Win 209, and Cheddite 209 primers, at a rate of approximately 1 per 1,000 loaded. While I reconize that is a very low failure rate, it still is disconcerting. These duds have occurred from 2003 until the present. I've switched to fiochi 616 primers for two reasons - no duds, and $25 per 5,000 cheaper. By the way, I load between 90,000 and 100,000 shells per year. Bobk

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

At the Dixie Grand, I had two new Win AA shells that seemed to have the primer dented adequately but did not fire on one event. That evening, I had the firring pin chamber cleaned and replaced a few springs by a gunsmith at the shoot. Now, the primers seemed to be dented the same as before the work, but all of the shells fire now.

Bad primers are a possibility but minor mechanical problems with guns are more common than bad primers.

Pat Ireland

12. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

This comes up quite often with Winchesters and that is why I stopped using them years ago , Same thing then , Winchester checked them out , gave me some certificates that weren`t reclaimable by my supplier after I purchased other Winchester products . Since then I have switched to almost every other cheap primer with out a malfunction . Those being Chedittes , PMC`s , now Fiocci`s and 1 other I can`t remember . They are used in 4-5 various guns and all seat well and fire without failure . I will never go back to Winchesters .

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have also had some primer problems with Winchesters.

One really bad batch of pistol primers.

Don

14. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I've had one bad Win primer out of 24+ thousand I've loaded, not counting factory shells. It must have been assembled wrong because it would not dent properly. I'm sticking with Win.

I also found one that has about half the primer compound it should have. I haven't tried to shoot it, it's just for looking at.

15. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I had a federal 209A primer that did not go off on Saturday. Tried it several times, another shooter tried it, no good.

Took it home and cut it open and salvaged the components. Put the empty shell in a vice and used a center punch with a small hammer. Could not get the primer to detonate.

Remover the pink covering over the flash hole, the anvil was there. However, I could not determine if there was any compound there. The primer (I assumed) did not have any compound in it.

Frank

16. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

I,ve loaded win primer.s fore 37 year,s and never had a bad one. Jess

17. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Double check seating depth. Also sometimes hulls may have enlarged primer pockets which allow too deep a seating depth. Win 209's in my experience are the best, having reloaded too many to count on my Spolar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.