1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Dog's Ten Commandments

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mixer, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting that.

Eric

2. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Ran 200,

Thank you. I finished reading this with tears in my eyes because I have done all those things over the years. Never because I didn't love my dogs but because I expected too much and didn't think before I acted. I had to put one down many years ago and I couldn't handle it so I wasn't there and I have regretted that ever since. The last one went down in my arms with me telling her that I loved her and would see her again.

Thanks for posting this. I couldn't put it into the words you used but I understand it in my heart and will always try to remember it when I get my next dog.

Brownk80

3. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Ditto Browns words,,,

4. glenns

glenns Member

I promised our last dog that I'd be with her and I was. Would not forgiven myself.

5. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Good post EB. How ya doing Buddy???? puablo

6. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I lost two dogs, Max and Maggie, this past July. they were siblings and we had them since we found them as tiny puppies abandoned in a wood lot. Maggie was sick and we sort of expected her to pass, Maxx just seemed to give up on life after she died and a week later we had to put him down as well. I held both of them as they went and cried. 13 years is a good life for a dog, God only rents them to us for a relatively short time then we have to give them back. Treat them as a gift from God as the above thread points out. They deserve in return the same affection they so freely give us.

Thanks for the post.

Bob Schultz

7. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

guys I'm single and disabled and my dog Pete has got me through a divorce, my mother and father passing and is there every minuet of every day. both of my dogs are very loving, but jealous of my time with each other And I will tell you you could not have a better hunting buddy Pete!! Also I hope I go first and they put him in the coffin with me because I don't think he could stand it with out me, we have both been through hell and back. He is a English setter and about 8 1/2 yrs old and only had him 5 1/2 and I have spent right at 3,000 on him and would do it again, anyway sorry to go on but these are my thoughts.

thanks
    lee
    [​IMG]

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

A great post thank you!

9. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I just had to go through #10, with one of my Basset hounds. She wagged her tail until the end.

Ronbo

10. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Actually this is a dog's OWNERS Ten Commandments. The dog's list goes something like:

1. Bark at everything
    2. Eat, beg for more
    3. Sniff everything especially if it embarrasses my owner
    4. Pee on everything
    5. I forgot the rest so I'll drool and start over at number 1.

Woof...

11. copper

copper Member

Dogs are like children if taught compassion they are compassionate, If taught to be hatefull they are that. I have seen men exspect dog to read there mind and the same with children. We are products of our enviorment. Instinct thrown in in human and dogs , pack animals and don,t understand at times our taking them out of the pack, and our lack of looking at it from there point, throw in breeding for trait and then try and be understanding. Then like people the occasional nut that sould be put down. Maybe only thing lacking is vanity, or ego foolish pride human traits ,whay we yell at dogs when they don,t do something we were unable to teach or never did exspect them to just do it. same as children Dave

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If a Dogs owner can be half the man the Dog thinks he is, you are doing okay ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. abcd

abcd Member

Friends come and go ,My best friends where my dogs that never left me down ,My father said , PEOPLE THAT LOVE THERE PETS ,LOVE PEOPLE ALSO !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your post
    Jack Lyons
    God Bless you and your Pets

14. Twixter

Twixter Member

I just read a bumper sticker that said " Dogs love stupid people also." This just may apply to Uncle Screeh, don't personaly know him but think he could of kept his opion to himself.

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

birddog1964, the most we can hope for is to meet them up there in those lush fields full of birds and those brilliant colors of autumn. I've lost several and distinctly remember alot of our time together with each. They do get one through a tremendous amount. I had one that in a 5 month period spent over 3 g's on and I too would do it all over even though I lost her in the end. She had a truly admireable trait. She didn't like my ex :)

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have a cat. I have had a lab that endured me. My cat tho has become a bit crazy of late. She is 16 and stays in the house. Now when she wakes up from sleeeping she screams bloody murder. My wife thought the time had come to end her unhappiness. We went to AK this summer and when we returend the cat was worse. But we decided to giv eher more attention intentionally and these bouts of fear she has have ended... Hoping fo r another few years from her...

[​IMG]

I hunted my lab. He loved every minute. He loved to "follow his nose". He would be out around me one minute and then be gone. Following his nose of some thing he imagined he woudl find. A honey most likely. But then about 2 hours would go by and I would get a call from some guy that had his garage open and my lab wanedered in tired and dry. The garage guy would giv him water and then encourage him to rest. He did. Adn then he never did quite know why I showed up to take him home. I did that many times and he never quite figured it all out. But that was my lab's life. He knew when his time had arrived as I kept him thru thick nad thin wiht his hips... I recall his last moments as if they were jsut an hour ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.