1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A different "Paris" take

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

A different

There have been lots of posts here about Paris Hilton and her trevails. I am cutting and pasting from a different board an analysis by a very good criminal defense attorney. I am NO Paris fan, that's for sure. But it seems to me that right is right and fair is fair. Anyway, here is the post:

The mob mentality has overcome the legalities of what has just occurred. And what this judge did in Metro Court is a travesty of justice. I hope Paris's attorney, Rich Hutton, has a Writ of Habeas Corpus in the works, and I hope that the CJP ultimately sanctions this judge for his unlawful behavior.

Here's what actually happened.

1. Paris was arrested for .8 DUI. Unwinnable for the city attorney. Standard Operating Procedure in Metro Court is to offer to the D, a "dry reckless" or an "exhibition of speed" as a lesser offence. Paris attorney, who is as adept at DUI law as, say, a medmal attorney, offered a "wet reckless", which I understand the city attorney's took, and later laughed at because any knowleadgable lawyer would have know he/she could have done substantially better if they knew what they were doing. When I had my first .09 DUI in Metro Court many years ago I was annoyed that I got an offer of a :"wet reckless." I ran into Rich Hutton, Paris's lawyer, who suggested I go to Cathy Rodriguez, supervising City Attorney upstairs, and negotiate with her directly. I got an offer of an "exhibition of speed."

2. Initial lawyer did not advice her of the requirements and consequences of plea. Another problem not of her making.

3. I am member of California DUI Lawyer's Association and I know for a fact that not a single lawyer who practices in LA, and quite frankly no attorney any where in the state, has ever seen a 45 day "straight jail" sentence imposed in a violation of probation case for a non-DUI case. NEVER.

4. The Sheriff's Department has complete automony, to decide how to house its inmates. And it is under court order to reduce overcrowding, allowing for dramatic reductions in sentences. In fact, in violation of probation sentences in traffic matters, the Sheriff's Department in LA , and SD, can easily "book and release" on sentences under 30 days, or keep people for a few days and the release. Paris falls into that category.

5. Paris was released by the Sheriff. To take her out of her home with out proper notice, without Due Process, handcuff her, drag her to court in handcuffs, humiliate her, was a violation of her constitutional rights. Rich Hutton did not have PROPER NOTICE to prepare, although he REQUESTED that notice, and requested a continuance.. This easily could have and should have been on calendar in a week or two with proper, legal notice. Even sex offenders are given valid legal notice. Paris was gravely mistreated.

I was asked to comment on Oberman and on Hanity & Colmes, and I wish I could have, but I was in trial. What I saw on ALL of the news shows disgusted me. Talking heads and lawyers alike were like rabid dogs, talking about her getting her just deserts. They continuously accused her of driving drunk - which she was not and which she did not plead to, and blaming her for not knowing the requirements of her probation even though her ignorant original "attorney to the start" did not properly inform her. They were gleeful when viewing the photos of her sobbing the back of the police cruiser. I have no problem with any of these people wishing a giant zit emerge on her forehead on the day of her wedding, or giggling just a little if her Hollywood mansion falls into a pit during an earthquake. But LEGAL analysts were fueling the fire of the ignorant public, "Off with her head", rather than discussing the improper legal maneuverings - and misconduct - of the city attorney and the judge. Very few supported her and those that did were vilified by the mass majority of idiots who just wanted to see her burn.

I have to try cases and I know my jurors are infected with this mob mentaility. I see if all the time. I've actually had jurors say to me that they really didn't know if my client was guilty, but they wanted to send a message. So much for applying the law of reasonable doubt.

SO, to respond, the "pathetic" one is the judge who treated her substantially harsher than anyone else in similar circumstances. I laud the Under Sheriff who released her.

It was Justice Brandeis who said so long ago that the Government cannot be the lawbreaker. Paris knowingly or unknowingly broke the law and she deserves some punishment consistent with the behavior. But the Government here, was the more egregious lawbreaker. Paris was not treated equally and they knew it.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A different

Please explain to me why celebrities should not get the same punishment metted out to ordinary citizens?

3. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

A different

I bet that if they announced on the news that some guy named bcnu got put in jail for ANYTHING, the world would be saying so........

4. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

A different

I'm waiting for the Paris Hilton "Caged Girls in Prison" movie...coming to an Internet server near you, soon, we can only hope ("let's shape up those tongue muscles, prissy girl!...")

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A different

She should have just taken her first punishment and been done with it.

Judges don't like arrogance.

HM

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

A different

Zara,
    I agree with almost everything you say. Paris is a spoiled brat, narcissistic pain in the butt. Obviously, she pissed off the judge, something that is not very smart. In her arrogance she thought she was above the system. She is paying a price for it.
    My point with the post was just to show that she is not getting the same treatment as others. The post I copied above is not by a criminal defense lawyer in her case. In fact, it was posted on a lawyer BB by a very hard charging young female defense lawyer with a great reputation not L.A. She was making the post in response to the many gleeful posts by others about Paris' trevails.
    Read the details. I ain't buyin any "Free Paris" t-shirts, I guarantee. In fact, I am sorta enjoying her perdicament if the truth is known. But objectively, I do think that the law ought to be somewhat blind (just like the statue).
    Regards, Jake

7. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

A different

Bill, I have no idea what you are talking about. You must be reading another thread.

8. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

A different

Why should anybody dedicate more than 15 seconds to a celebrity-low-life skin and bones brat like what´s her name?

Must be a slow day at the club or you guys ran out of reloading components again.

Berettaman7

9. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

A different

Rev, you are talking about a real woman not a stupid sac of bones.

Berettaman7

10. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

A different

Zara,
    Injustice can be found for real all too easily. I mean, who gives a crap about Paris? I frankly agree with Berettaman, more than 15 seconds on this story is probably too much. A for real example is Genarlow Wilson. Who? He’s the now 21 year old Black man doing a ten year stretch without possibility of parole in a Georgia prison. His crime occurred when he was 17. He engaged in consensual oral sex with a 15 year old girl at a New Year’s Eve party. He would have been immune from prosecution under Georgia’s “Romeo and Juliet” provision if they had engaged in intercourse instead. The law has since been repealed but the prosecution still opposes the young man’s release from prison. The legislator who originally sponsored the bill has said it was never intended to apply to the likes of Genarlow or his circumstances. For his part Genarlow Wilson was an honors student, a standout athlete, homecoming king and was preparing for college and a life of limitless horizons.
    Life ain't fair. It is probably lots more fair to Paris than most. I expect she will survive her present difficulty. Best, Jake

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

A different

For starters, let me say that I was never caught DUI but as a alcoholic I drove many times recklessly endangering other people(I haven't drank now in over 30 years). However, I have seen how people are treated often when they were caught DUI and didn't receive any special treatment. If you read about Paris's arrest they you know that she did receive prefential treatment and yes by her remarks she thought she was above the law. This could be a wakeup call for her. I doubt that this is the end of the story but I bet she doesn't run out and drink and drive when she gets out. Jackie B.

12. oletymer

oletymer Member

A different

FlaLagarto, you have it right. Forget this spoiled kid. She is nothing more than a rich bitch.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

A different

Paris learned a long time ago that money talks and probably was told that if you have enough money you can buy your way out of most anything ... I for one think the Judge did her a favor in showing her that what she learned is not always correct and maybe she will learn something from it, if not maybe she will the next time ... She was treated Justly and deserves what she got and how she got treated, maybe it will humble her pompus attitude ass just a little bit ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

A different

zarathrusta

Too many "Hilton's" trying to run the military now.

Rock

Jim

15. Butterfingers

Butterfingers TS Member

A different

Jakearoo. If you are a drunk defending another drunk, why should anyone listen to you,

16. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

A different

defence lawyers make sick with thier euphemisms like "wet reckless",
    "dry reckless","exihibition of speed". we all know that "unauthorized use of a motor vehicle" is car theft. why can't they call it like it is? that is why defence lawyers are at the bottom of respectability

17. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

A different

Why do Lawyers wear neckties ? Jeff

18. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

A different

To keep the foreskins from coming over their heads !

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

A different

Jerry B. I agree with you 100%, at least they are not a lost cause who poses for the camera like she is some sort of movie star when she see's one, either that or she is hugging herself ... The Judge should make Paris Hilton enlist and she will have a new respect for things that money cannot buy and really give her somthing to cry about ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

A different

Among other things, Paris was the victim of a sorry attorney. IOW, an attorney whose only concern was the fear that he might lose a case and look bad.

If Paris had gone into the courtroom and said " Judge, I know where you're coming from and agree 100 percent that I deserve the jail term. I don't want to go to jail but then again no one does. However, I'm going to learn from this experience and let it make be a better and more mature person".

If she had been so counseled by her attorney, she would have been viewed 180 degrees from the way people now view her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.