1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Dick's Sporting Goods store opening ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

A Dick

The Sportsman's Warehouse here closed about a year ago.

Dick's Sporting Goods is opening in the same building in a few months.

Have never been in a Dick's Sporting Goods store. Guess many other locals may not have either.

What can we expect in the way of guns, ammo, reloading components, accessories, and in the way of prices ?

2. Imamusd

Imamusd TS Member

You are not in Billings by any chance are you?

3. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

The prices are just as high as any Bass Pro, Cabelas or other large retailer. Usually, even their sale prices aren't anything to write home about. Neil

4. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

No.

Down here in Idaho.

If I was in Billings I would be getting in more prairie dog shooting. As it is, have to drive a long ways.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

When Dicks opened around my digs, I went in checking for M1-Carbine ammo; I found none on the rack. I asked the "expert" behind the counter about that ammo, he came out and looked on the rack, and offered some 30-06 ammo as "perhaps close enough!" I haven't been back......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Dick's sucks.

Big 5 is bad enough, but at least you don't expect much from them.

Dick's is the kind of store where you know they don't have what you want, but sooner or later you break down and go in anyway. Only to find yourself thinking, "WTF? This place is a joke and a complete waste of my time."

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

He must be from the Pocatello area. That has been the rumor for about 6 months now. I could care less if Dick's comes to town as I am not a fan at all but I guess it's better than the SW building being empty.

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Brian said it all "Dick's is the kind of store where you know they don't have what you want, but sooner or later you break down and go in anyway. Only to find yourself thinking, "WTF? This place is a joke and a complete waste of my time."

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I went in to my local Dicks yesterday looking for a 28 gauge boresnake...the "sales rep" from the gun dept said they don't carry the 28 gauge boresnake because they don't carry 28 gauge shells...Umm, ok,well what do you call those boxes on the top shelf, just above the 12 gauge shells?? Oh wait, 28 gauge shells!!! a whole bunch of them!!!

don't expect any help from the sales people...most who work there are just doing it for the paycheck. They have no clue about the stuff they sell.

The one thing I like about my local Dicks, besides the cute looking female cashiers, is that they tend to screw up the shotgun ammo pricing all the time. This past summer I scored a several flats of Win AA for $53 and change because the cashiers couldn't figure out what price to give me (sales sign said one thing, the cases rang up another price, and their sales ad stated another price LOL) so after spending 20 minutes trying to figure out what price to give me, the nervous young sales manager on duty gave the cases to me for $53 and change...

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

The same "expert" sales represenative in the gun and fishing department will have the exact same background qualifications and retained knowledge as the represenative in the running shoe department!

11. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

When I was still looking for work after moving to NC, wife and I were in a Dick's in Durham and they had a help wanted sign at the entrance table for there firearms dept. Was told to fill out the app. and go see the Mang. His first question before even looking at app. was work related experience? Told him of my knowledge of firearms and shooting and he told me I was "over qualified." Never heard from them. Don't think I met the quota!

Scott

12. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

I agree that if you want to look good in just about any sport Dick's is the place to shop.

I also have to say that there one of the guys in the 'gun' department of the Shadow Lake shopping center which is south of Omaha, knows his shot guns.

I stopped in there one day just to seen what they have. Of course I headed straight to the gun department. There the manager was talking to a young man about purchasing his first shotgun, a hunting or trap.

He was doing a good low pressure job. I left before a sale was but not before I gave the my email address to the potential buyer in case he want to shoot trap.

Haven't herd back

Jim

13. k810329

k810329 Member

Im not a big Dick's fan.ive found plenty of things the kids needed for football,basketball and track but nothing i needed for shooting/hunting or fishing.I will say I have eye-balled a tree stand or two at the one in knoxville,tn. but thats about it.They are definately not fat people friendly when it comes to theyre outdoors clothing.I will stick to Bass Pro until sportsmen's warehouse decides to build in east tennessee.

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have found that Walmart is cheaper then Dick's. Dick's most of the time doesn't have what I want. They will carry something that sells well then not carry it next year. You at times have to tackle a sales person just to get something from behin the counter. As you can tell I now rarely go there.

15. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Dicks was started right here in our hometown. And I would agree with just about every post on this thread. When the old man ran the company they used to sell a lot of guns around here. Then the kids took over and all they know about sporting goods is that Nike has a swoosh and Adidas has 3 stripes. They finally got a couple people that know a couple things about guns when they opened a Gander Mountain store in town. Occasionally they have ammo sales that are useful. But mostly I go there when I want a good chuckle of how to run a modern day, politically correct, gun shop with idiots for employees, and everything over priced. How they sell anything to anybody is beyond me.

16. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

When they run a sale, the prices in the computer will be wrong. Watch carefully when you go through the cash register up front.

17. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Walmart is cheaper for the Win AA and Rem. STS ammo, in all gauges....

here is another recent Dicks story...was in there on Friday buying a case of ammo when I brought the case up to the register. The cashier looked at me and said they don't accept returns on ammo....HUH??!!! I'm buying a case of ammo, duh!

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

If you want to buy a Stoeger or other disposable firearm, or enjoy seeing if you can trick an 18 year-old clerk into accepting a fake coupon you printed off the internet, Dick's is your place. You can get good deals on shells occasionally but you have to work for it, be willing to deal with the ignorant, and get there in the first few hours because they have so few in stock. Their corporate marketing tactics are razor sharp so be careful. For example, watch out for the 20-per-box shells they use to dupe the dummies. And read the small print on their sales flyers. The "50% OFF on such & such" is actually 25% off because you have to buy one at full price to get 50% off the SECOND one.

-Gary

19. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

On the 16ga.com forum, people frequently mention big sales at Dick's on 16 gauge ammo.

From the postings, it appears that the Dick's folks don't know one gauge from another. When they're supposed to have a sale on 12 gauge promotional loads, they extend it to everything. Which is not bad for the individual consumer but does reflect how little the in-store people know. A shotgun shell is a shotgun shell.

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

In Dicks clerk lingo 16ga ammo is referred to as "bullets." LOL, I wish I was joking.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how long is dicks sporting goods open