1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A decent gun safe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BudsterXT, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I need some advice on purchasing a decent "low cost" gun safe.

What brand, how many guns can it hold, the price, etc.

Evidently, the 870 trap guns are finding my house, for some unknown reason, and they need a place to nest.

I am sure other brands will find the path, and I think I should provide a safe haven for them.

Income tax returns are coming, I hope. They will be spent wisely.

2. quartering

quartering Active Member

no such thing. you get what you pay for: steel. but a good rule of thumb is to buy a safe better than the power tools home depot sells. good luck with it

3. quartering

quartering Active Member

or lowes

4. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

http://www.patriotsafe.com/

Great safes! You get alot for your money when you compare them to other safes.

Not exactly cheap but when it comes to safes, you get what you pay for.

Good luck

Josh Andersen

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Always get a bigger safe than you think you'll need. If you don't fill it with guns, you can always put cameras, jewelry, etc., in it. In fact, if deep enough, you can make fixtures to hang or hold spare barrels on the inside door face.

Get a safe made from plate, not gauge metal. The thicker the metal is, the better, because the longer it will take to cut through with a grinding wheel or cutting torch. And yes, thieves will not be deterred by the thought of your guns igniting from a cutting torch. They'll hope you have a fire safe that will protect them until they can get into it.

Get a safe with a recessed door face.

Don't worry about external hinges. They're not what keeps the door on. They only support the door for opening. You need the door to have bolts coming off the hinge side that will prevent opening the door from the hinge side if the hinges are cut. These bolts are almost always fixed position.

Locking bolts on the top and bottom of the door are a nice feature, but personally I would rather spend the money on size than on bolts in these positions. If you have the budget, then get better features like these.

Don't worry if the safe does not have holes in it for lag or through bolting to the floor and wall, or that it lacks a hole for a power cord. You can always drill it yourself. Do not assume that your safe cannot be carried out by a group of determined men. If they can carry in huge freezers, they can pack out most safes. Bolt it to the floor and wall. Do not skip this step.

Make sure the locking mechanism is quality, like S&G, instead of a no-name mechanism.

Make sure the opening handle has a shear pin on it, preferably internal (though that is much tougher and more costly to fix if it does get sheared off).

Makes sure the welds are quality.

A fancy paint job and pin striping is nice, but there are less well finished safes that can do the job at a better price. If you need to, chose size over looks.

Most of the interior shelving and gun racks are made from particle board. If you have a particle board shelf with a lot of handguns, loaded magazines, ammo, etc., on it, it's a matter not of if, but when, it will sag. I wound up replacing mine with plywood. My suggestion is to not get too enamoured with a particle board interior. I'd rather have no interior and build it myself, or plan on using the particle boards as templates for plywood.

Fire safes. If you are close to a fire department that has a good response time, you may not need one. If you live further out where response time is lengthy, in areas with fast moving fires, or vulnerable areas where there are too many homes for them to concentrate on just yours, a fire safe is a very good idea. Problem with fire safes is that they attract moisture. You need to plan on putting a dehumidifier, maybe two depending on size, in the safe. Like a Goldenrod. Plan for a powder outlet.

If you have an alarm system, and if the safe is installed on carpeting, consider putting a pressure switch mat under the carpet in front of the door, or some other sensor that will cover the safe area.

No safe will stop determined thieves. You can only discourage the less determined, or delay them until (hopefully) your alarm system does its job, or protect the contents from fire.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I don't like storing my guns upright and letting the oil soak into the stock. Does anyone make a chest type?

7. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

Had the same problem as Barry,so I turned my safe upsidedown,now I can store my guns muzzle down !

8. trapster100

trapster100 Member

These are getting decent reviews.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/safes/cannon-ts6030e-21-gun-safe-3809071

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

installed your safe upside down??!! I hope that was a joke, psycho.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

How important are your things? How valuable are your things? Buy the best safe you can buy. I have looked over spec's of most of them and I have found that Fort Knox safes to be a very good safe. Also when buying a safe get one that is bigger then you need. You would rather grow into it then already have grown out of it when you buy it.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Barry,

American Security does or did make a chest type gun safe, not sure if its for the same reason but the guns lay down in it ... I stand my guns on the muzzle end in the upright safe and that seems to work also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I just don't put so much oil on my guns that oil drips. Never had a problem with this.

Another step that can be take is to seal exposed wood.

I don't buy the argument that a chest safe is better in this respect, because if you have enough oil on the gun that you have to worry about drips or runs, then there's enough oil for capillary action too.

13. laura!

laura! Member

Check out Heritage Safe Co. Our safe came from them and is a high quality safe at a reasonable price and made in the USA. Brian's post is right on, especially the first part - the safe is never big enough!

Do not get sucked into paying for any kinda lighting to go in your safe. I can't remember exactly what they wanted for putting the lighting in, something like $150-200. We used clear Christmas rope lighting - works great and has lasted for 5 years so far.

14. mt

mt Member

Costco will often have good deals

15. zzoom

zzoom Member

I have Cannon safe, purchased at Tractor Supply on sale for $599, very pleased with it, will buy another when full!

16. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Most of us need a strong box like the one at Tractor Supply. I use one and they will keep out the folks most likely to break in my humble house. Druggies and kids. A serious safe man would walk right in and open it up in a few minutes, but I don't have enough in there for a serious thief to steal...they don't want a pile of shotguns and a couple of rifles. If you have serious valuables to protect, gold coins and heavy duty jewelry for example....none of us would have unreported cash in there of course... Get a serious safe. John Tann or an ISM are great safes and even a serious safe man will leave them alone and go find an easier mark. If you have one of these, put it where its easy to see...they'll know what it is and move on.

Bob

17. quartering

quartering Active Member

we endorse safes like we're a bunch of safe crackers with the inside scoop. but all we really know is big and cheap because that's what we're shopping for. and i know, real men don't "shop" for a safe. but you get the idea. toss in some luck that you've never been broken into and, as far as we know, bass pro sells the baddest ass safe out there for only $499! really? next time you're in a lowes or hd, tell them you need something that will drill or cut through a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" steel plate. they'll sell you something that will do the job in less than a minute, probably battery powered. hell, how did you secure your safe to the wall studs? you drilled a freaking hole through it! give me a break. other than the visual intimidation the presence of a safe conveys to the unknowing, we're really not very well protected against anyone who has given it more than just a couple of minutes of thought and/or planning. good luck with it

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'm drawing up what I want. I'll see if I can get someone to build one for me. I have stored all of my guns muzzle down but that's not wonderful either. The typical interior allows for a lot of banging around and dings.

Thanks for the tip Bill. I'll check I'll check A.S. out.

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Years ago I bought the best safe I could buy. I have more valuables and cash in it than guns but have never regretted buying a good one. With the economy as it is today I like cash and gold readily available

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cracker tosser for trap shooting