1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A day at Arlington park race track

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    This will be my last thread for some time as I will be going back to school full time shortly. Yesterday, I wanted to do something different before school starts. I took my wife to Arlington park race track to bet on the horses.

It was senior day, and it reminded me of trap shoots with the majority of people attending having gray hair. I also noticed the large percentage of little kids at the track. Most were leaning up againt the rail looking at the horses.

I purchased a program, and I love the names people give their horses. My wife and I know nothing about horses or racing etc. We are not big spenders as we are usually camped by the $2.00 window.

On one of the betting windows directly to the left of the $2.00 window was an elderly employee behind the counter with a sign that read $10.00 minimum bet in front of his window. As I am waiting in line to make a $2.00 bet, a cigar chomping older man who looked like a die hard who would step over a dying man on the floor having a heart attack in order to make a bet before the race starts.

I hear him place A very large bet to win, as I also hear the number of the horse he bet on. I switched lines as I am thinking, he must know what horse has a good chance to win.

So I plop down my $10.00 to win bet on this same horse and wait for the race to start. As I am telling my wife what happened, and how she is bending my ear for betting $10.00 instead of $2.00 and not picking the horse she wanted, I am starting to say to myself what was I thinking?

The race starts and my horse is dead last. Little by little, my horse is moving up and by the final turn my horse is in the third position. As I am standing up cheering, this same horse has another geer and was involved in a photo finish. As we are waiting for the results, as it seemed for ever, the horse I picked actually won and my horse won a nice hunk of cash.

Suddenly my wife looks at me, as I am now not as dumb as I originaly first looked after making this bet. Out of 9 raises we won 4 just picking by the name of the horse as we picked one horse each for each race.

It was a fun day to end the summer, as I now start school on September 6th.
    Steve Balistreri

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I always bet $2-$5 across the board on a favored horse with good odds and $2 across the board on a longshot. That basically gives you "Win, Place or Show". In laymens terms, if your picked horse gets "1st, 2nd or 3rd", you won some money. I can play all night and not blow alot of money. I'm a heck of alot more sucessful winning money at Fairmount Park Racetrack in Collinsville, Illinois than i am at Trap shooting. LOL My wife and i have a good time at the horse track and don't have to have alot of money to do it. Anytime i can play all night betting and bring home at least what i left with, i had a good night. I have come home several hundred in the green before. I don't have to win big to have a good time. Never go if you can't afford to lose what you are going to gamble with. You'll lose it!!

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Love to bet the ponies, love the ponies period. I used to go Arlington park quite often. Boise has a track and I actually worked there drivinf the Cat and Tractors to recondition the track for the first year after I retired. I learned a lot but my wife can pick the winners regularly as she grew up on a horse ranch. Even if ya dont bet it is fun

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

That's why I love the Calcutta's. Pick your favorite shooter or yourself if you've got the nerves.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Lou--Although i don't use it to pick my horses, a horse owner/trainer did show me years ago what to look for in a horse while they are in the staging stable at Fairmount Park. Now like everything, its not bulletproof but there is real science to what he showed me. It really easier to pick a horse thats not gonna do well that particular race than one thats gonna win. I'll bet money your wife knows a few of the signs that i'm speaking of.

That brings me to my new book:

"How to pick the horse that won't win"

It's $19.95/copy and if you act now you can get (2) copies for $50. Buy two and i'll personally sign the copies for an additional $5 a piece. Order Now. :)

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

In 1941 my dad took me to my first Grand. On our return we had a 12 hour layover in Chicago between the train from Dayton and boarding the train back to Spokane.

He loved horses so we boarded a train to Arlington and went to the track. My memory of the trip was passing the all silver Burlington Zephyr as our trains passed.

I don't know if he wagered but we did spend lots of time in the paddock admiring the horse flesh.

He took 8mm movies of the whole trip. Some of the GAH movies from that trip I put on tape and gave to the HoF.

7. twotimer

twotimer Member

Steve, are you gonna be able to go shoot a round when I come up in Oct? If not, maybe we'll meet for lunch in the school cafateria. Mike

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Mike:
    Send me a PM around one week before you come.
    Steve

9. twotimer

twotimer Member

Steve, will do. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.