1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A "Date" that is not taught in schools anymore

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Coyote 270, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

a day of rememberance

2. kbarnes12

kbarnes12 TS Member

A

I take great offense to the title of this thread. I teach middle school History, Geography and Government and tomorrow in all my classes the attack on Pearl Harbor will be the focus.

Several years ago I was selected to attend a workshop at Pearl Harbor and had the honor of visiting with survivors of the attack both civilian and military. The one common theme in each conversation with the survivors is that they did not want what happened there forgotten when that generation is gone. I pledged to them that I would always honor this day in my classroom.

December 7, 1941 will always be taught in the school where I teach and I am sure it will be in most other schools as well.

3. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

A

This was not posted to insult you kbarnes12, but to point out what tomorrow is and how it should not ever be forgotten.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

A

kbarnes I'm glad to hear that you are doing your part to remember this important date, it seems not many other people care though

5. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

A

It pains me to say this, but I forgot. I was up early working a big project and ran into town for lunch. I did notice the flags at half mast. THEN, it dawned on me what today was, Dec. 7.

There is no note on any of the three calenders in my house...yet all 3 have Boxing Day, Canada...what ever the heck that is was important enough to note.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

A

Mismost, If my memory is correct Boxer Day is when all the roles in work places and misc switch. The Boss is now the Janitor, and the Janitor is now the boss. Its works very well for the morale of the middle and lower class to be a high roller for a day. Again if my memory is correct it used be very close to Christmas, but now on the 7th I guess. Break-em all. Jeff

PS Dec. 7th a day that will be remembered in infamy!!!

7. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

A

i just asked my 6 yr old what dec 7 1941 was and he told me it was that thing with the bombs and the boats. hes in 1st grade so theyre teaching it still. but i must say that i didnt remember what today was until reading this post.

thanks to all who have served. My family and I appreciate it!

Paul

8. tachyon

tachyon Member

A

I had already scheduled a physics exam for today so I added a set of bonus questions about December 7th.

1. What happened on this day that makes it historically significant.
    2. What year did this happen, who was president and what did he say on December 8th.

More than 90% of my students knew that December 7th, 1941 was the day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. About 70% knew Roosevelt was president and about 50% quoted "a day that will live in infamy". Like kbarnes stated earlier, many schools still teach American history and teach about December 7th.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

A

Every year about this time a group of volunteers from our local American Legion go to the middle school and talk about Pearl Harbor and their experiences during WW2. They have been doing this for the last 40 yrs. They are still getting enough volunteers to do this but as it is everywhere else the pool of men are dwindling.

"May God bless the greatest generation" our true American heroes.

Bill

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

A

Boxing Day is primarily a UK (and its former colonies) holiday....it's a paid time off holiday. Read more about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

11. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

A

I taught American History for the last 17 years of my career in public education and I still substitute and I can guarantee you that Pearl Harbor happening on December 7th is still taught in our high school! Jack Farrow

12. otnot

otnot Active Member

A

After reading this post I asked my 4th grade son if the teacher had mentioned what happened on this day and to my disappointment he said NO. So I sat him down and told him the whole story. Time to to talk to the teacher.

13. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

A

Maybe I was under a rock on the 7th (And I'm embarrassed to say that I had forgotten) but it seems that there wasn't any mention of it in the news media. Now, on the 8th, I could get away from hearing about John Lennon's death anniversary! Don't get me wrong, I liked his music but but ...

Like I said, maybe I was just under a rock on Tuesday????

Gene

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

A

Gene.

You experienced the same feelings as me.

There wasn't much coverage here(Ohio)either.

Everything is that damn Wiki Leaks or whatever it's called.

I hope they string that little wimp up by his thumbs.

Regards....Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.