1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A cheap and Effective Recoil Producer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolared person, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

Buy some egg sinkers you use for catfishing and put as many as you need down your bolt hole. This has worked for me!

2. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Dude, re-ducer.

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Yelling at Holga my Russian bride produces plenty of recoil.

Seriously, weight is all I've ever used.

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip, and I agree, weight does work. I would use a sponge up by the bolt head, add some shot and fill with more sponge. It works pretty good, but not as well as a regular recoil system.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've loaded a lot of empty shells with lead and crimped them up good and sealed with super glue. They fit nicely in the stock bolt hole.

ss

6. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Weight works for me in reducing recoil. I've never had a desire to produce recoil, not being a masochist.

BB

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Not that it matters to me but putting unconfined lead in the bolt hole in a stock is not a good idea.

I have seen a stock that had a lead slug inserted in the bolt hole to add weight. When the shooter wished to remove the stock the lead could not be extracted from the hole. The recoil had caused the lead to form around the head of the bolt.

The lead had to be chopped out of the hole with a long screwdriver and a hammer and it took a long time to get it to the point that bolt could be gripped and turned. Proceed with caution!!!!!!

A metal slug of the correct size is a better bet. I made one from a piece of stainless steel which I drilled(in a Lathe)and threaded the end.

I filled the SS with shot and and used a half inch socket cap set screw in the thread hole with lock tight. I took up the space that was left with the right length piece of wood dowel.

I have use this for fifteen years in various stocks and it did what I wanted it to do. It still is.

Bob Lawless

8. checker

checker Member

OK....insert a piece of proper size PVC in the stock bolt hole, put a cross pin in open end with short chord to remove the PVC tube, plug in other end if you wish....then fill with lead....20 Ga hull will be close if ID is close.

9. vdt

vdt Active Member

now fellows ..listen to this old guy ,i use copper shot [i was for waterfowl but can not use that stuff now ] fill the stock as much as you want then get out your glue gun and fill up the end ,if you want it out just pop it out with a straight blade screw driver..did you get that Bob

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

vdt

"did you get that Bob"

Did I address you? Did I give you a hard time? Did I insult anyone by giving my opinion????

I have already stated,

"Not that it matters to me but putting unconfined lead in the bolt hole in a stock is not a good idea."

When I said, not that it matters to me. That is exactly what it meant. You of course have to get something started don't you I gave my opinion you gave yours. So do everyone a favor LEAVE IT ALONE.

Bob Lawless

11. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Cheap and inexpencive for a cheap and inexpencive gun gives you a cheap and enexpesive fix for a gun fit problem. I don't care either. Post-2

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

That's about the oldest recoil reduction system know to man. It must have been invented on the day the first shotgun was produced.........

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Here's a picture of straight copper tubing filled with melted lead I use for felt recoil reduction. I use this with a fitted to me adjustable comb stock on a semi-auto. It's like shooting a BB gun.
    hapmectweaks_2008_030369.jpg

This filled tubing weighs approx. 4.x ounces per inch. Some are sealed on both ends with metal plugs so no lead is exposed at all. Easy to make, change out and lasts forever.

Both cheap and very effective for reducing felt recoil and acts quicker than commercial weighted spring or sloshing type recoil units.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.