1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Case of Defending Yourself

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GunDr, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

"Two men broke into my townhome at approximately 12:30am early Monday morning. I was out of town but my girlfriend was home upstairs watching tv."

"She heard noises and then two men talking downstairs. She called 911 immediately. The men turned on lights downstairs and were looking around. They must have heard her moving around upstairs because she heard them say "I think someone is upstairs... go up there and check it out." The upstairs hallway light came on and my girlfriend heard footsteps coming up the stairs........."

I found this on going topic, posted on shotgunworld. I copy and pasted part of the first post. Click the link above for the......"Rest of the story"

(http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=131327&sid=c2dc5bde26c80409092c5b4b7e5814b7

Doug

(edited 1-17-08, 2:29pm)

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Jesus Doug!.....Don't just leave us hanging there! What happened upstairs? In quiring minds MUST know!

3. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

That's a scary story, Doug. The dummy rounds part made my blood run cold. Glad it turned out OK. I think inquiring about the 30 minutes is entirely appropriate. There may be a good reason, but maybe not. I'd guess most of us have a wife, daughter or mother who isn't prepared to fully assume the responsibility for defending her life, and it'd be wrong to blame her for that, considering our culture. Good luck to you guys with the range lessons. Phil E

4. porky

porky TS Member

I'm surprised that someone hasn't said that it isn't so according to Snopes

5. nicky

nicky Member

Doug that's whats upstairs in my house a Nova 18" barrel with rifle sites and no plug in the mag. And yes my wife and I both know how and would use it.

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Just in case.....this story is NOT mine. I found it while lurking around on the other site.

Doug Braker

7. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

We keep a Cobra 380 close by in the bed room but no round in the chamber. The clip is in the gun, it is loaded. Like the sound of it when you inject a round in the chamber. Makes mucho noise. It really is her gun so she knows how to use it very well. I gave her the choice either the 38 5 shot stub or her 380. She, like me, likes the sound of injecting the round in the chamber and besides, there is no round in the chamber at all until. The 38 would have to have rounds in the chamber. Looked at it several different ways. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

A nice test:

1 Call 911

2 Call Domino's Pizza

3 Tell me who gets there 1st!

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Rich ... sometimes not having a round in the chamber for your home defense gun will get you killed.

The best home defense gun is a double action anything that is fully loaded with a round in the chamber ... pull the trigger and bang! Ya aint got to worry about rackin the slide or anything ... ask your wife if she woke up some night with an intruder in the room standing in the room staring at her if she would have the time to grab the gun and rack the slide to inject a round into the chamber or if she would just instinctively rather grab it point it and squeeze ... BANG

Any defense gun that is not fully loaded and ready to do what it is there to do is nothing more than false security.

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Kimber 1911 Custom. Full, 8-round mag; 1 in the pipe; cocked, locked; the way Dr. Browning intended it to be carried.

Rem 870, 12ga, extended mag. 00 buck in the chamber, then 00 buck, 00 buck, 1oz slug, 00 buck, 1oz slug, 00 buck. Nice defensive load.

Glock 27 in another room.

Agree 100% with Lumper. Autos are intended to have around in the chamber. The time it takes to chamber a round (think 1,001, 1,002, etc. ...) is enough time for the bad guy to shoot you with his POS Raven.

Best,
    Dennis

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Nicky....Might I respectfully make a suggestion. Unless you KNOW you will always be on good terms with the wife[a proven impossibility], I would sell the Nova, buy a handgun, and hide it upstairs someplace without the wife knowing where it it is! I'm talking self defense here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.