1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A/C-Heat Pump?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

lumper TS Member

Could it be the unit is to small if it is not keeping up with the load?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Might be better to ask the people with the info.

HM

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There is a tag on the units cabinet that has the information you are asking for ... If the unit is over 15 years old, it probably needs to be replaced ... The new units operate a lot cheaper than the older units and will pay for them self in time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Phil, not sure on the SEER rating, but that is a 2.5 ton condenser. You say the compressor was replaced 3 years ago, do you mean the compressor in the outdoor unit, or the entire outdoor unit (condenser)? We recommend replacing the entire sealed system on a changeout, coil, line-set and condenser. That way you have an all new sealed refrigerant sytem and matched coil & condenser for peak efficeincy and life expectancy. A 2.5 ton system typically cools about 1500sq.ft. in the Midwest. Thats a rule of thumb, not how we size them to sell, that requires a heat gain survey. Harv

5. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Phil, a couple more rules of thumb. The larger of the 2 copper lines at the outdoor unit (suction line) should be beer can cold when it's running. Also measure the difference in temperature between the return air and a supply air close to the unit. Use the same thermometer, your looking for 16 to 20 degrees colder at the supply. Again, these are rules of thumb, we charge A/C's by using superheat or subcooling temperatures, but the rules of thumb will give you an idea if it's working properly. Also make sure the air filter in the return is clean. Harv

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Is it a heat pump or an air conditioner?

With the hot and humid climate of Eastern NC a heat pump unit is not the most ideal thing to have when the temp and humidity rise ... some, like it sounds with his just cannot keep up and do the job.

7. trobmx14

trobmx14 TS Member

unit is a 10 seer 2.5 ton heat pump. If matched correctly to evaporator heat pump or a/c has no bearing on cooling.

8. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Just a thought here... We have an air based heat pump and love it... We had an issue a couple of years back with the unit we have keeping up with cooling in extremely hot weather. It turns out that the unit is on a system similar to off peak, and the electric company in times of high demand will limit the time of the unit running. I think ours was at 15 minutes per hour, and we were not keeping the house cool. Maybe they have a similar system there...

We love the heating as well in the spring and fall, as we are in the North country. Not as efficient as geothermal, but probably the next best thing....

LWL

9. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

hire a PROFESSINAL and cut the grief,
    #1 the home should be measured,windows ,walls and insulation factor to get a true heat and cooling load.this is a called a manual j load.
    #2 then pick equipment upon needs of home and homeowners.
    #3 there are federal tax credits avaible for this purchase ie seer and varible speed motors.
    #4 spend more now and spend less every month and have good longevity on the system and go to bed not worrying about.

10. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

always replace all of the the components mentioned above when ever you replace any condenser as shoshell mentioned. the manufacturers warranty was voided on the condenser when it was installed on a coil that it has not been tested with. i was in the hvac business for 33 years and was a LENNOX dealer and that was their policy. they couldn't give a btu or seer rating on a mismatch system as this so no warranty. whoever did this was not a very reputable company just someone out to make a quick buck. unfotunately there are a lot of these types in the trade thats why i got out of it two years ago.

11. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

jackmitch is correct but there will always be bottom feeders in contractors and customers let them swim together I rather make more money on less business and enjoy a happier customer list with better referals coming my way ,i left the tail chasing years ago and raised my own bar to less agg.

12. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

i stand by what i said above, if you did what was mentioned above and lennox found out about it there was no warranty from lennox. todays higher efficiency units will sometimes flood the indoor coil with liquid refrigerant if the indoor coil and expansion valve are not matched. also as stated before lennox said if the coil had not been tested with the indoor coil how could you tell the customer that it was a certain btu or seer.in iowa we have rebates for high efficiency equipment and the unit must be rated by ari to get rebates. not trying to argue just clarifying my reasons. i know it will often work fine but i always liked to have the manufacturer in my corner if there was a problem.

13. gsaucedo

gsaucedo TS Member

It should also be mentioned that it is getting difficult to find 10 seer units since the government has mandated 13 seer, which means replacement requires upgrades which means more out of pocket expense on new units.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.