1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A book every trapshooter should read

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pigkiller, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Bob Palmer, the author of the "Own the Zone" column in Trap & Field, has published a book geared toward the shooter titled "Mind Vs Target." It is simply a must-have for shooters in all skill levels. Bob offers various techniques for staying in the flow; his "fusion" technique alone is worth the price of the book. Find it at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble or order directly from his company, SportExcel. You won't be disappointed--I am reading it for the second time in less than a week.

2. windyflat

windyflat Member

I agree... I'm on my second time through it as well.. Good stuff

3. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Looks interesting, here's a youtube video from the author.

4. Greevesman

Greevesman Member

I got excited and bought the book yesteday for my Kimbal. So far it's like an info-commertial for the book. 1/8 of the way in and he's still telling me how great it is and what I will learn. Enough already! I bought it!

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I sure hope it's better than that video! I was left with one question: "Will it slice and dice and make hundreds of julienne fries in seconds?"

I guess I'll have to get the book on the recommendation of a top-shooter friend last Saturday, but I have serious reservations.

Neil

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Bought it online on a whim...I need reading material here.

Three observations:<UL><LI>too much motivational RAH-RAH-RAH for me,<LI>too many little stories about what other people do / did<LI>too much reference to / dependence on coaches and coaching</UL>I don't need the first, I find no value in the second and can't afford the third. It doesn't hold my interest...not something I'm likely to finish reading.

My opinion? The book has limited application. If you shoot on weekends and travel to a few big shoots a year, save your money and buy shells with it. This book wants more from you than your present level of commitment to trap warrants. If you shoot every night of the week, keep logs and records of every time you shoot and have a regular circuit of events you travel to each year, you might get something out of it.

Keller

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Well after the first couple of post I bought the book to read on my tablet. But now there have been other post and it has me thinking I made a mistake. I guess I'll read it and figure it out myself.

8. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Who is. Bob Palmer ?"</I></blockquote><I>SportExcel</I>..... He's what I'd call a sports psychologist...

Keller

9. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I think some of you have already set this book up to fail long before you got past the first few pages. Of course the author is going to give you some of his back ground and prove what authority he has on the topic. He is in no way saying he has authority over clay sports, but the psychological aspect to the mental game of today's sports cross genre and have a lot in common.

Folks, you need to keep an open mind and read the book with trap shooting in mind. At least this guy is willing to tackle the mental game of clay sports. I applaud him and I am so far enjoying his book. It can be hard to explain the "zone" he speaks of because it is different for a lot of us. He gives you the tools to help with your mental game.

Keller, I don't know how far you got before making your conclusion, but you have to start some where and explain where the author is coming from. I only found that the rah-rah-rah, as you put it, was in the forward and not in the main chapters.

If you keep an open mind it may help. If you walk away with at least one good thing then you learned something, no?

Bryan

10. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Opinion--once fundamentals are established--this game is 90% mental, hands down, anything to make your mental game stronger..........I'm in. Scott

11. Unknown1

Bryan..

If you think the book is gonna help you, good. If you like the way it's written, fine.

I didn't like it and I said why.

You don't have to evaluate my opinions. It's not going to change them and they're no more or less valid than yours.

Keller

12. ramen39

ramen39 Member

I bought the book also. I am also about done reading it the 2nd time. It hits me where I am the weakest. The mental part. I've shot sporting clays since I read it the first time and I think it is going to help. I've spent A lot more on things that didn't help.

13. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

I bought the book because of the posts here on TS.com. I am not bashing the book, but I can't say I'm as impressed as others are. Much of his information/technique has been out there for decades. If you hadn't read much about sports psychology before the book may be very helpful. I had, so it wasn't as much for me. There are a few new ideas in his book, however, and I am happily going to try them.

But...the one thing that is really missing in the book are specifics of how to 'work the zone' for our game. (I believe this info is missing for skeet and sporting clay shooters too.) Is the author suggesting that you stay 'in the zone' for every second of a round?

I don't know that it is possible to stay 'in the zone'--at least as I understand his description of it--for every second of an entire round, not to mention for every second of shooting a hundred birds. Other sports psychologists suggest that you can't maintain that degree of 'zone-ness' for sports like trap because of the delay between shots/individual action. (It's different for a skier, though, as they complete their event in a single attempt.)

I get the idea of 'not thinking' for the entire round, especially between birds, but is that the same as being in the Zone? Is there a 'deep Zone' and a 'shallow Zone' then? Do you go into the deep zone for each bird and then back away to the shallow zone and rest a bit until it's your turn to shoot again?

Anyway, I am going to re-read the book several times to make sure I fully understand his methods.

Mark T.

14. Scott Johnson

I just received the book, and am on the 3rd chapter and can tell already there is knowledge here to be gained, so far worth the money. I will update you as I finish it sometime tomorrow. You know trap is 90% mental, to not work on the mental side is to not move forward. This is my opinion, YMMV. Scott

15. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I have read very little about the mental portion of the game until now, im finding that alot of what he says could be helpful as long as you dont have to think about it. I dont think I will be able to follow all the steps in his book but I figure if I can find one thing that will be helpful, its well worth the $16.... The only thing ive ever read about the mental game is much different then what he is explaining, opposite actually. I guess i will find out.

16. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I have spoken to Bob on the phone and found him very engaging and helpful. I strongly encourage you to contact him at SportExcel at 1-877-967-5747 with any questions. Bob's generosity and willingness to discuss his program is refreshing.

His program has helped me break through in trapshooting and the business arena. I have applied his "fusion" and "deja vu DVD" techniques successfully as I prepared for competition and as faced challenging times in the workplace. The "vista" technique is an innovative approach to problem targets.

This is one of those books that begs a second reading. If you apply merely one of Bob's tips, you will no doubt see an improvement in your mental game and scores. I know I have.

17. Scott Johnson

I am on chapter 6, still well worth the money, this has the makings of taking a person to the next level. Will be back in touch. Scott

18. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Vincent Hancock has worked with Bob Palmer for over 10 years. There is no person I know of in ANY sport with more focus, determination and mental toughness than Vinnie.

Whether Bob is a trapshooter or a golfer or sprinter does not matter if he can help to keep a positive focus on the target field.

Bob does not consider himself a Psychologist but a Strategist.

SW

19. windyflat

windyflat Member

This book has helped me quiet my mind on the line.
    Prior to reading it I struggled with keeping my mind clear and focused on the shot.
    Bob's description of the zone "feel" helped me realize what I needed to focus on to break a good score.

20. Greevesman

Greevesman Member

Waste of time and money. I am surprised, since I ordered right away that I didn't get two for 19.95, all I would have to pay was the extra shpping and handling. I did learn that a normal clay shooters regimen includes "strutting". Going to have to try that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bob palmer zone feel tingling hands