1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

a black eye for gun owners gets worse

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by AveragEd, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Some of you who live in the east may have heard about Meleanie Hain, the "pistol-packin' soccer mom" from Lebanon, Pennsylvania. Last year, she went to her kid's soccer games with a Glock 9mm handgun strapped on her belt and when other soccer moms complained to the police about it, the Lebanon County sheriff revoked her concealed-carry permit, saying she used "poor judgement" by carrying her gun openly to such an activity.

Not a week went by for months afterward without an article in the newspaper about her and the anti-gun crowd was filling the letters to the editor column each day with their venom. As I said in a letter to that local anti-gun newspaper (a letter they never published, by the way), the fact that she carried a firearm openly, which she may do under our Second Amendment, to a youth soccer game when she had a permit to conceal it indicates that she craves attention regardless of how big an ass she has to make of herself in the process. And although the sheriff was wrong in his actions, which changed nothing as she could still carry her gun openly under the Second Amendment, she did exercise judgement that is embarassing to gun owners everywhere.

She then sued the Lebanon County sheriff for one million dollars but the case has not yet gone to trial and now, it probably never will.

Last evening, this woman and her husband were found dead in their home as the result of an apparent murder-suicide with their three children in the house. Her husband was in law enforcement, if I recall correctly, but had stayed out of her gun-carrying affairs.

Details are still sketchy but you can read the story thus far at the link above. Sometimes I do believe there are some people who should not own guns.

Ed

2. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

In North carolina you may carry holstered and exposed without a license, but if you get a CCW license you now must conceal and can no longer carry exposed. Can't have it both ways.

3. AveragEd

Cy, I believe the Second Amendment might override that state law. Here in Pennsylvania, permit holders can carry either way while non-licensees must carry openly.

Ed

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The article did state her husband was a police officer. If he used his service weapon, the whole story about her is mute. It wouldn't have been her gun.

Should police officers be forced to keep their weapons at the station and not be allowed to take them into their homes?

5. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

With the media and with instant access to everyone- the media controls most of the stories that get major attention.

Ed you are right- another black eye- and those kids of course are devastated- and having lived with media attention already - scrutiny- something like this will only scar them I fear.

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

7. AveragEd

I didn't mean to imply that her gun was used. My point was that she wasn't mentally balanced yet managed to not only own a handgun but acquire a concealed carry permit.

Ed

8. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Ed, what qualifications do you have to decide whether or not a person is mentally balanced?

9. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

I don't know what Ed's qualifications are, but in this case he seems to be on target, shall we say. Last night the kook and her husband killed each other - with the kids in the house.

HEY! Could this be More Republican Family Values - Part 4?

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Zara, you must have been getting more information that the police aren't letting out to the public. I haven't seen anywhere that says "the kook and her husband killed each other". Are these known facts, or just someone spouting off? How could two people "kill each other"?

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Regardless of who did what, this is the kind of stuff that makes headlines and forms negative opinions about gun ownership and CCW. Bad news indeed.

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I suspect that more and more Americans are seeing this stuff for what it is - aberant behavour by a miniscule fraction of people who wouldn't be deterred from their wierdities by lack of a firearm. Right now people in America are emotionally stretched by things a lot closer to home, and I don't think these stories have the impact they did at one time.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Well-Known Member

Ed?/ WTF??/ How do you know weather or not she was mentally balanced? Maybe she chose to never be without her firearm? Listen. It's this world we live in that has chooses to paint pictures where people are dumb enough to think they are safe in society. She was the wife of a cop with kids. Always a target for some scrotes payback directed at the husband. Bottom line you don't know who killed who or that this woman was mentally not stable. 150 years ago in this country in was common for everybody to pack a gun. There were 100x fewer people and 10,000X less violent crimes. But because the media and idiots want to believe otherwise with ZERO evidence to back up their claims people of today are not balanced if wanting to not be caught without a gun? Sorry... It's the other way around and the people who feel no need are the ones in living in la-la land where the fox and the chicken are friend and bed down together each night.

Ed It looks like you have been buying into the medias non-sense. This is how we lose gun rights. When normal people with a voice start to no longer exercise basic common sense and buy into the dream that We will all be safe if we just don't do anything to piss them off. Sorry but no. Anybody with any sense should have learned all they ever needed to know about people, human nature, violence, and the governments ability to protect it's citizens during Katrina. I know people that pack in church, soccer games, and taverns. all totally legal in Oregon. I hope one of them is next to me if things ever go south in any of those places. There is a difference between being paranoid and being responsible for your own personal safety.
    PS I work in mental health and there are a million ways people draw attention to themselves quite successfully without using a gun. Jeff

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I'm confused, why is it ok to carry openly and not ok once one gets a CC? 'Don't seem to make sense in my pea-brain.

Guy Babin

15. superxjeff

It's that way in many states. In Oregon you must carry openly if you do not have a CCW. If you do have it ( the CCW) your gun must be totally concealed as it scares the crap out of people to see other peoples guns as the media has programmed us to believe that guns are used only for crime. This is also the reason that in Oregon you could very well get a ticket for disturbing the peace if you carried openly ( Legal as I mentioned before) as folks get nervous when they see people carry a gun and it's not a cop. As the bumper sticker says.... 100 million american gun owners killed nobody yesterday with their firearms.
    We hear about the criminals that did.Jeff

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Jeff you underscore my confusion. Reading your entry, it implies that CC is more scary to johnQ public than open cary....

probably my inability to read.

Guy B

17. AveragEd

I'm sorry if I what I wrote was misconstrued. I am not an expert on much of anything, much less a person's mental state. But as pro-gun as I am, the son of a federal investigator and as someone who wore a badge himself for three years 35 years ago, I can't fathom a need to openly wear a sidearm to a kid's soccer game. I have a carry permit but never packed to any of our son's soccer, baseball or football games or wrestling matches or our daughter's softball games. The city of Lebanon is a typical American city, so it has its problem areas, but their home and the soccer fields are in a suburban area, not a ghetto.

If you read some of her comments in the numerous articles written about her, a pressing quest for public attention becomes obvious. People like that do all kinds of things to get it; she chose to wear a gun to a function that didn't warrant doing so. She never mentioned a need for a sidearm until AFTER all the publicity came about DUE TO HER ACTIONS. That's when the threats, etc. are supposed to have started.

Even if she felt a need to have a gun with her at all times beforehand, I think she should have concealed it. She would have had it accessible in the event she needed it without causing all the furor that she did. She wanted attention, plain and simple. For the tarnish that put on the image of all gun owners, I criticized her.

I guess you really need to go back and read the many past articles about her to fully understand the image I'm trying to convey.

Ed

18. superxjeff

That's right Guy! Poorly concealed guns scare the crap out of people. They think it's a dumb criminal. I have seen people get stopped on two occasions at stores for this very thing. It must be concealed 100% if you are to carry the handgun that way.Jeff

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I'm with Ed... She was obviously making some kind of John (Jane) Wayne statement wearing her gun openly at a kid's function.

Very inappropriate... but not illegal. Ask David Letterman about inappropriate behavior that's not against the law.

It is a 2nd ammendment catch 22 Ed.

Guy

20. superxjeff

Daddy shot mommy!!! Daddy shot mommy!!! I guess that she should have been carrying in the house. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.