1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Better Shotmaker

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ellen, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Gentleman:
    If you are tired of the current rising cost of shot in todays market then you need to contact Jim Stewart, he makes the Better Shotmaker. It puts the Littleton to shame because he uses a cast iron ladle instead of a aluminum ladle; he uses heavy duty heat shield wire; he uses a heavy duty burner; he checks every shotmaker personally and has it making good shot before it is shipped; if you need more information please call Jim at 256-587-0107. He lets everyone else advertise his shotmaker. There is a web page at: http://www.geocities.com/jstewart1934/My_page.html
    and he does have his own email at:
    jstewart1934@hotmail.com
    Ellen

2. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Well , Ellen , can you tell us a bit more ? Images ? Price ? Production Rates ?
    It expected that quite a few shooters may be interested in getting more information if you'll be Jim's "Front-"man" " .

Charlie

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Bob, snap a pic of yours so we can see what they look like.

Jerbear

4. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Charlie,
    At the moment my DSL service is having technical difficulties and I can't send pics. They hope to have problem solved within 48 hours. I have been on their case for 24 hours now.
    Single Bowl is $350.00 plus shipping (UPS Ground Insured), Double Bowl is $640.00plus shipping. Uses 220 volt 15amp ONLY. Ladles are cast iron, has a heavy duty burner(s) and insulated heat shield wiring. Jim test runs each unit prior to shipment to make sure they are making good shot. Instructions, tips on how to run shotmaker, and pictures of Jim's personal set-up are included when shipped.

5. imissone

imissone TS Member

What other equipment will you need after you make your shot?
    What's a single bowl? How many pellets will it drop or make?
    After you make your pellets do they need to go into a cooling tank.
    Then put them in a mixer and add some type of coating?
    I don't fully understand the process?
    Buying shot at $30.00 is killing me. It's costing me over $4.00 to make a box.

6. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

How about the price of Lead??? Isn't it up quite a bit in price as well??

Rich in Az.

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

One of the secrets is to find a good consistent source of cheap / free lead. Used wheel weights are good as they have a fairly high content of antimony. Bill Malcolm

8. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Imissone:
    Yes, there is other equipment needed to make your shot. The dripper sizes are 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2 or 9. A single bowl has 7 drippers and it will produce approximately 45lbs/hr of size 7 1/2's.
    Yes you need a coolant pan to drop your shot in but there is no need to coat with Graphite as your shot cup on your wad would keep your shot from scraping the barrel and making it out of round.
    You need used wheel weights to make the best shot. If you buy your wheel weights at $15.00 for a 5 gallon bucket you can make your shot for approx. $3.00 for 25lbs. Yes you also will need to melt down your wheel weights and take the clips out and make lead ingots to melt in the shot maker. I suggest you use cast iron muffin pans (which I have avaiable also ) to make the lead ingots.
    If you will email me at ellencnor@hotmail.com I will send pictures of my personal set-up, etc. Please put "shotmaker" in subject line.
    Jame Stewart

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Here's a pic I just recieved from James. Looks good too. Hap

10. Bobshouse

Bobshouse TS Member

One biggie...is there a thermostat on the unit by chance????

11. 333t

333t Member

Looks pretty much like an exact copy of the Littleton. If Littleton had a patent, it must have expired. I don't know if cast iron would be preferable to cast aluminum or not. I would think the aluminum would heat up and get going a little faster. The cast iron is probably more durable but also may be more prone to cracking. I have used a Littleton for a long time with never a problem except replacing the internal wiring once.

The Stewart machine with the cast iron ladle may be an improvement and competition is always good for the consumer. But it doesn't seem like a smart business practice to make disparaging remarks about the competition whose design you may have copied.

Phil

12. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

If you folks will search past threads, you will find a large number of pictures, testimonials, and helpful hints have already been posted. I have read most of them so I know that I have picked up a lot of good tips. See the link to a helpful thread I found.

13. scott k

scott k TS Member

WHO COPIED WHO?

14. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I bought Jim's unit, but have been slow to get it in poeration. He told me he has been making shot with a like unit since the 60"s. He claims he had no patent, and someone used his idea.

I have my unit installed over an old parts washer tank. My catch tank is directly under the lip of the drippers, and Jim said I need no more than 1/4 inch from the dripper edge, to the coolant. This is sorta tricky, but I think I have it figured out.

I'm working on a recovery tank, with a pump to re-circulate cool liquid up to my catch tank. My catch tank holds 3 1/2 gallons, so it may take a while for it to get too hot.

Still working!

Danny

15. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

James Stewart now has a web page that you can go to:
    http://www.geocities.com/jstewart1934/My_page.html
    You can read all about his shotmaker.
    You can also contact Jim by his own email address at:
    jstewart1934@hotmail.com

16. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Phil:
    I would like to inform you that I had the original patents on my machine in 1964 and Littleton didn't start till 1967 and thats when I had my lawyer send him a letter of notice to stop making machines as he was infringing on my patents. He did stop until the patents ran out then he started back up again. So please get your facts straight before saying I am copying the Littleton.
    Thank You,
    Jim Stewart

17. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Bobhouse:
    No it doesn't have or need a thermostat. If you run it correctly the way Jim tells you in the instructions a thermostat is entirely unneccesary and only adds to the cost of the machine.

18. Bvr Tail

Jim,

My apologies about you not having a patent. I thought that is what you said when we talked.

As I get closer to firing mine up, I'll probably touch base with you for an update.

Thanks

Danny

19. Bvr Tail

Jim,

My apologies about you not having a patent. I thought that is what you said when we talked.

As I get closer to firing mine up, I'll probably touch base with you for an update.

Thanks

Danny

20. 686

686 TS Member

YOU HAVE IT BACKWORDS. LITTLETON COPPIED JIMMY STEWERT. WAS FORCED TO STOP . WHEN THE PATEN RAN OUT THEY STARTED BACK UP AGAIN. THANKS CHARLES

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

better shot maker

better shotmaker

better shotmaker reviews lead

littleton shotmaker uses what for a burner