1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A better camouflage face mask or face paint?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Cstraight, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Cstraight

Cstraight TS Member

I have used a thin material camouflage face mask with a cutout for my eyes and most of my nose for duck hunting in years past. However, I’m tired of my breath fogging my eyeglasses so I’m looking for another solution. I’ll even consider face paint at this point.

I’m open to any suggestions that you guys have tried and like.

Thanks.

2. DandyRandy

DandyRandy Well-Known Member

I have tried all kinds for hunting and snowmobiling. I don't wear eye glasses but do wear sunglasses. I have to use one with an open mouth hole. Your breath will always come back up inside your mask and fog your glasses. My new snowmobiling helmet has a built in washable breath mask. The breath mask pinches over the nose and keeps your breath below your nose so the warm air can't rise to my sunglasses. Don't think or at least haven't seen one like that for general use. Maybe for mountaineering at higher altitudes.

3. Cstraight

Cstraight TS Member

I hadn't thought of a face mask with a mouth opening. Thanks DandyRandy, I'll look for one of those.

If anyone else has any ideas please share!

4. Allenn

Allenn Member

I've had good luck with a thin mesh breathable face mask. The mesh will let your breath go in and out.

TheoShooter thanked this.
  5. Claypoppy

Claypoppy Well-Known Member

I've worn face masks or face "paint" camo on my face hunting ducks and bow hunting for over 40 years. What I use depends on the style of hunting that I'm doing. For example, a face mask can be somewhat aggravating if you are trying to bow hunt and in this instance, I prefer face paint. What works just as well is a cork burned with a bic lighter and then spread on your face and the backs of your hands. I always use this method when duck hunting. I carry some "wet wipes" and it easily cleans it off when I'm through. One heck of a lot cheaper than camo paint kits and just as effective.

6. Jethro15

Jethro15 Active Member

I use black Halloween grease paint. I stock up just after the holiday, usually $.99-$1.99. Goes on very easy and comes off the same. I wear glasses as well, and find that covering all of the area behind the lenses cuts down on glare as well. Just my $.10.

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

When downhill skiing I put cat crap on my glasses under my goggles. It works but I still cannot wear a helmet because the glasses will fog. Decot shooting glasses don't fog near as bad as the every day bifocals.

8. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Krylon, blk, brn, olive green, be sure u close your eyes before you start mixing colors, spray straight onto skin ,, and can last almost all season, if you scrub your face almost raw before application.

9. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

When I was 18 or so, coming in from a duck hunt at the boat landing an old guy asked me what was on my face. I replied lamp black (had just read about it in Outdoor Life). Guy replied, by the time a duck could see that I was wearing that, Id'a kilt it. Hehe...

10. DandyRandy

DandyRandy Well-Known Member

You just need a little to break up the outline of your face. A mask with eye and mouth hole or just do like Claypoppy said. A piece of cork and a lighter. Goes on easy comes off easy. I have used this also. Doesn't clog the pores of your face like a lot of the paints. Not necessary to go overboard.

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Maybe this would work. Those evil ducks would never recognize you as a hunter.

And your kids would just love it!

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

12. octoberclaire

octoberclaire Active Member

Try burnt cork. It's what i use for waterfowl and crow. It washes off easier than most paints.

13. o-hale

o-hale Well-Known Member

There are some camouflage baseball style caps that have a thin veil that hangs off the front of the bill.
    I use them for turkey hunting to hide the glare from my eyeglasses.
    Does not interfere with seeing or mounting gun.
    Better than the face paint for sure.

14. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

All you need is something to take the shine off or keep your hat bill pulled down.

15. dwdds1

dwdds1 Member

I use a mesh facemask that has a cutout eye section that has a wire lining around it. I can fit and pinch the wire to contour to my face and nose. I have never had an issue with glasses fogging. Face paint requires cleanup.

16. Sea Duck

Sea Duck Member

Octoberclaire, I haven't heard that one for years!!! I used to use the cork method when I was a young lad at Halloween,
    For crows I use a hat/mesh screen for bear I use face paint Hunters Specialties, ducks I use a face mask

17. johnboy

johnboy Member

Contacts.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]
    This rather poor quality photo shows me wearing a fine mesh head mask over a warm cap. I don't wear glasses when using optics, but I do with iron sights, and have not run into too much problem with fogging. The mask is loose enough I can pull it down far enough to expose my nose if need be.

(Not wearing snow camo because I was hunting from a tree line just out of the frame.)

19. IANative

IANative Member

I like the turkey hunting masks that are made out of the netting material. Use them for turkey, deer and duck hunting.

20. Oldman1949

Oldman1949 Active Member

Draw a circle about the size of a soda can on the pit wall in front of where you are sitting . When the caller starts working birds place your nose in the circle and keep it there until he calls the shot .
    If your nose stays in the circle you can not be pie faceing the birds .

Search tags for this page

open mouth camo face mask