1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A better bullet for Deer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by miketmx, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I reload 1000s of shotgun shells a year but have always used factory ammo for deer hunting. I have a 270 and have used 130 gr Remington Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt cartridges for probably 35 years just because I don't know any thing else. I got my whitetail last weekend but I was not impressed with the bullet performance; I admit it was not a perfectly placed shot at a running deer but the bullet broke up and did not penetrate very well. I am wondering about Winchester Silver Tip or XP3 for next year ?

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Mike how many deer have you lost shooting remington ammo? Jeff

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Running shot, dead deer--sounds pretty good to me!

Guy B.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Most factory ammo uses 1910 technology in their bullets.

Get ammo loaded with Nosler Partitions or Barnes X bullets. I lean toward the Partitions.

The ammo is the cheapest part of the hunt, but can cost you the most if it fails to perform.

5. deadnout

deadnout Member

i use a 270 also. but i use the 150 gr. remington corelock factory ammo. its a soft tip and works quite well. i got my buck sat morning and it dropped like a rock. try em.

6. Ol Faithful

Ol Faithful Member

I've shot A model 88 .308 w/ 180gr silver tips for years - Knocks the hell out

of deer. Give them a whirl - I would'nt use anything else.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you use hard bullets designed for deep penetration you will need a new pair of boots to wear out tracking deer that had small exit wounds.

I use Sierra Game Kings and for the pistol Hornady XTP. I would not use the Barnes X, I load it for a friend for bear and moose. It's too solid for whitetail.

If you can only use factory ammo, Get some Hornady Interlock or Interbond loaded 130 grain. You should not have to rezero, but a shot or 2 at the range will help for fine tuning. For antelope I would use the SST or Vmax stuff.

If you handload the Game Kings or Hornadys have it. A bullet with a cannelure will hold a little better than a smooth one of the same type.

Bullet performance and matching to the intended use is one of the most neglected aspects of big game hunting.

Good Luck.

HM

8. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I like the Winchester supreme in my 7 mag. I shot a deer head on, hit him between the legs and recovered the bullet just under the skin on his hip. It was an immediate kill. less than two steps. The recovered bullet showed picture perfect expansion. a mushroom that was a little more than double the size of the bullet. This was not an extremely long range shot, approx 175 yds. this stuff isn't cheap but made a beleiver out of me as to how well he bullet performed. I'll see if I can still find the slug and try to post a pic for you.

Bob

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have had decent performance with .25 cal Corelokts, they are fairly conventional but they are a good hunting bullet. Today you can get most any bullet in a factory load. I really like the Nosler Accubond in my .300 WSM. Several ammo makers offer this bullet in most of the popular calibers. I have used the Barnes X bullets in 7mm handloads and they do expand as advertised and penetration is very good on elk. - these are also avialable in factory loaded ammo.

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I used a Chevy Blazer S10, Jeep Waggoneer, Ford 150 pickup and a Chevy Silverado pickup over the years of being on the road at 4:00 AM....All 4 were deadly on deer........ lol

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

BTW, I used a 3/4 ton '07 Silverado on a deer. Damn if nothing happened except one dead deer and a bent license plate at 40 mph. Very lucky, one small dead doe. Called hiway patrol etc. From now on, a .357 handgun travels with me in case a critter is mortally injured and in pain. Lesson learned. I only hunt varmints and clay discs. Sorry if this was a bit of a hijack, but this city boy learned a lesson.

12. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Core Lokts are a pretty soft bullet. They will shed most of their weight when they impact an animal near the top end of their designed velocity envelope.

For all big game hunting, I am a dyed in the wool convert to mono-metal bullets like the Barnes. They kill better than they should. They exhibit expansion within the first few inches of penetration, retain almost 100% of their weight, and penetrate like nothing else. They damn near defy small arms physics as we once knew it.

I shot a northern Michigan whitetail that was facing directly at me. She was about 90-100 yards away. I was using a .270 Winchester (Beretta Mato w/ 24" barrel) loaded with 140 gr. Winchester Fail Safes. I hit her directly in the center of the brisket. The bullet traversed the entire length of her body and exited out of her ham near the anus...almost straight line penetration through about 48" inches of animal.

When I opened her up I had never seen anything like it. It was as though someone had removed most of her internal organs and replaced it with 20 gallons of diarrhea. It was mush. There was very little left intact to pull out. I had to hose her out.

I have used that same bullet on elk and bear (and other deer) with results that amaze me every time.

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My reloads on deer with 270 always had Sierra or Speer bullets as they just are plain tougher than factory bullets that dont use premium bullets...never had a problem with corelokts but never had any tough shots either

14. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I've been handloading centerfire rounds for deer for over 30 years now. My thoughts are that you really don't need a premium bullet for whitetail unless you are after a 300lb monster. Some 25 years ago I read an article about the nosler partition and gave them a go. It killed the deer, but I had to drag them twice as far. I'm too danged old for that now. I've shot the standard bullets from Sierra, Hornady, Speer, and Nosler. Some rifles like certain bullets with regard to accuracy but they all kill deer just fine. 270 Win is as good a deer caliber as there is and a corelokts are fine.

If you want to get into centerfire reloading it is a fun hobby but don't expect to save any money

Just my opinions. Best to you.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just looked,..my 270 loads use the old Bronze Pt 130's...they group at a half inch out of my Savage 110...but I do use the standard corelokts in 30-30, 308Win and 35Remington..never a problem

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Got my best trophy with an Izszu Trooper and a baby buck with a Ford Aerostar

Phil Berkowitz

17. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

I have hand loaded the 270 for years and have found the best bullet to be the 140 gr hornady boattail spire point, being pushed with imr 4831 and a win mag primer. I have taken many whitetails with this load and have never found the first bullet in a deer. The bullet seems to expand well leaving a nice exit wound. Some of the deer that I have taken with this load was shot in the shoulder and the round exited through the opposite rear hip (quartering shots). The 140 has better sectional density and ballistic coef than the 130 or 150 gr bullets which I feel makes them the best choice for weight. These bullets are also cheaper than the others. All the deer I have taken have either dropped in their tracks or within a few yards of where they were shot at.

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

We are blessed with bullet selection in todays day and age. It doesn't make up for the ability to place the shot properly. I have killed enough deer and elk to fill several 40 foot semi trailer with factory ammo and lost only those I had no business shooting at in the first place.
    Jeff

19. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have found that a slower moving bullet does more for you then a fast bullet.

Friends didn't want to use my 150 gr Round Nose bullets(reloads)one deer season so they bought factory 180gr Soft Point bullets. Well after the second deer they found out that the fast moving 180 gr went right through a deer and didn't expand like they should. They then asked me if I had any more 150 gr RN. I did and they were happy with the results. The 150 gr RN would expand and I have knocked them down on their butts at times. Hornady and Seirra make the 150gr RN bullets and you can find them in any reloading store.

20. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Sierra Game King for deer. Nosler Partition would be second choice. Love Barnes Triple Shock for large game....Elk, Bear, African Dangerous or Plains.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
pointed soft point ammo on deer no exit wound

reviews on 100 gr hornady interlock softpoint in 250-3000 for deer