1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A-5

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wahoo, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

A-5 will not cycle after firing, that is eject and reload. The bolt shuffles but cannot tell how far back it moves. This is with both factory and reloads. Gun has been cleaned and is in VG shape. Does not recycle with friction ring in either position. Any A-5 users/fans or others who are thoroughly familiar with the A-5 have any suggestions about the cause and what to look for?

Thanks.

2. Birddogfella

Birddogfella Member

Yo, 'HOO,
    If the gun is really clean and lightly, lightly lubed, set her on light load friction ring configuration and fire a 2 3/4" MAG through her. That should free up any stickiness in her.
    Actually, I have only had to go up to HiBrass loads to make this work.
    Best Luck,
    ///olde pharte/// Scottsville

3. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Clean it clean it clean some more than soak in brk free and re try it.

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Btw that friction ring should float down the tube. I had one once that was gummy. Had to emery cloth clean friction ring and oil up. Worked perfect after that.

5. Duck

Duck Member

Wahoo,

Light 12 or ?. We are talking trap loads not cycling correct?.
    I think you need to introduce some light oil to the magazine tube
    cut down some friction since you've cleaned it. Light twelve should have the steel ring under the recoil spring flat side up beveled side against the receiver. Brass ring should have bevel side up and the flat side directly against the spring for light loads, should also have a steel wrap around the friction ring.

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

The only time it does it on mine, is when I have the friction rings in wrong.

The Browning web site has the picture of how they are suppose to be for light or heavy loads.

Both of mine, the paper under the forearm has become to hard to make out, so I printed out the manual from their web site.

Good luck

7. Duck

Duck Member

Great post Eddie!.

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Just make sure you realize that picture above is the opposite of what you want if shooting target loads. Ducks first post is right on.

9. WJN

WJN TS Member

I found the above link useful in figuring out whole system.

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The drawing is for high brass/magnum loads

the picture is correct for low brass/light loads,

Brownings instructions for this also say that the magazine tube needs enough oil to look wet.

Al

11. motrap

motrap Member

Actually the picture is NOT "completely" correct for light loads ....

the slot/separation in the wrap (spring steel) and the slot separation in the bronze piece should be lined up ...... (not crossed as in photo) (shown correctly in drawing) .......

Drawing is correct for heavy loads, all you really do for light loads is remove the friction ring (leaving the bronze w/ spring around as before) ...

place the friction ring against the receiver under the spring, flat surface against spring .... ( it isn't really doing anything down there, it just isn't getting lost ........

12. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Yes, I was referring to "Sketch A" which I see would heve been better described as a drawing instead of a picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.