1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#9's for handicap???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I have a few bags of 9's that I will soon have to use, how will they work 22-25 yards?

2. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Yes, but I would be very afraid of them.
    Don

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Trade 'em to someone who shoots doubles.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Will work but expect plenty of dusted but not broken targets!!

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I "found" my .410 this winter and have had a ball shooting it again. The .410 bore only shoots 1/2 oz of lead. I use either 9s or 8 1/2s. I am not a long yardage shooter, but fooling around on practice days says 1/2 oz of #9s is all you need at 25 yards (I wish I could say 27 yards, but I am not a very good shot and cannot hit anything at that distance). I am convinced that we as trapshooters believe in too many old wives tales.

6. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Thanks for the all the info. I'll load them up after I'm out of 8's and see what happens. I know that 9's work pretty good from 16 yards. I just want to use them in practice, I usually use factory ammo in competition.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I discovered my weenie skeet loads were good for trap by agreeing to shoot with friends when they were the only shells I had. It was that way that I discovered they were very effective for singles and first shot of doubles. But, there were times when the buddy(s) also wanted to shoot some handicap and I'd walk up to the 25 while he/they were on the 27. There were several times this happened and I can say that I broke in the 20s, a couple of 24s with the 7/8 oz of 9s from 25 yards at practice. Do I rely on them for 25 and up? Heck no! Would I expect to use them for 22 to 24 yards? No, I'd suffer from lack-o-confidence and make no such recommendation. Could you use them at social practice? Sure, why not. They've broken hundreds for me from up close. Then, are you talking about 1 1/8 oz loads of 9s? Well, now, theres going to be somewhere around 658 #9s in an ounce and 1/8th load. Give'em a try.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

8. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Maybe if you are just going to use them for 16's then mix a bag with the 8's and you will get rid of them plus you will still have some 8's mixed in as well you would have your own duplex loads.

fog

9. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Kolar-G,

Easy now....dont give away Foggy's secret to his newfound winning streak!

Forrest

10. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

My theory is this: If your on-your on! I have my own shot maker and shoot 9's exclusively. I am proud to say I just took 5th place in the Va. State open
    from the 21 1/2 yard line using nines. I have a friend that shoots the nines from the 24. And altho' I wouldn't shoot nines in competition passed the 24, I just had a friend ask if he could shoot my gun and I agreed, but he was standing at the 27 yd line and I told him I shoot 9's and they are only 7/8th oz. He said he only wanted to try it because of my PFS stock. He crushed the target at the 27. I couldn't believe it I gave hime 3 more shells and he crushed everyone. But thats the difference between a great shooter and me.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am not able to perceive a difference between 7.5 and 8 shot from the 27. Most likely, 9 shot would work OK but my mind likes me to use 7.5 shot. What my mind likes, even though it is a rather simple mind, is probably more important than what actually goes down my barrel.

I could miss a handicap target because of a poor shot and convince myself that the fault was really the shot size that I used. Then, more misses from that box of shells are guaranteed. I know that a bag of shot labeled 7.5 does often contain other sized shot. That is OK, it is the label, not the shot size that is important to me.

Pat Ireland

12. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

good insight Pat Ireland!!!!

13. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

YUP!!! I think all shooters should shoot #9's from ANY distance. Your scores will go up, and just think of all those pellets!!!!

GS

14. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

It's probably mostly in the "USER" but most would balk at 9s for caps. That said I have used my #9 skeet loads for practice handicap back when I shot both games and was low on trap shells.I even ran a few 25 straights with them. Arnold Reigger won a major handicap with them once(but he also won several shoots with a mod. 37 single barrel Winchester)! They are OK for 16yd. and probably have enough umph for short yd. handicap, but they are probably light in whack e'm power a long hdcp. distance. 8-1/2s are a better choice if you want mulitple hits.

15. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Pat, You crack me up when you say it's a rather simple mind. I have read your posts to many times to respect your thoughts and I speak for many others as well. And now your modest. What a guy.......shoot str8 my friend

16. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Pat, You crack me up when you say it's a rather simple mind. I have read your posts to many times to respect your thoughts and I speak for many others as well. And now your modest. What a guy.......shoot str8 my friend

17. frank t

frank t TS Member

I know when I miss it always because of the shells or the gun or someone on the squad. Sometimes the puller. Sometimes the wind or the sun. When I find the perfect gun and perfect shell and a day with perfect conditions I probably will not shoot because there would be no challenge. From experience I think 8 1/2's are a better choice than 9's

Frank T

18. scuba pete

scuba pete TS Member

just make sure its not windy. the smaller the shot the more the wind effects it.outher then that it gives you more pellets thats all..i shoot 8 at the 30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.