1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

9's for 16 yd singles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by REDD04, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

I just found a bag of #9 shot that I had misplaced. With the price of lead the way it is, and since I no longer shoot skeet, I have decided to try it on the 16 yd. line. Anyone have any experience with 9 shot at 1220 fps at the 16? I am thinking about 18.3 gr. Red Dot, WAASL wad, Win 209 primer, & WINAA case. What do y'all think?

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

9's will work fine at 16 yards.

I use one ounce of 8-1/2's in competition.

3. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I bought some #9 STS light targets (1145 fps) on sale at wal-mart. They work great for 16 yards, I haven't missed a target with them yet, of course this is only after 50 rounds. None of the targets I hit with them were chipped, they were smashed. I will be using a lot more 9's for 16's as I have 4 bags of them, I like the Idea of having all those extra pellets out there.

4. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

A very good load for 16's. Just watch the wind. Not that great on a windy day. Of course there isn't much that will do that good against a wind of any kind except 7 1/2's. But you can have problems with them as well. I like shooten 9's as early as possible on a 16 yard shoot. Thats when the wind or breeze hasn't awakened yet. They smoke when this is available to ya and you are on target. Really! it's a good load. I shoot Red Dot for everything. Handycap's, dubs.& 16's. I just lighten up the powder on dubs and 16's and go with a full 17 Grain for Handycap. I load 8's for Handycaps. Use a 1 OZ. shot load with 16.5 grains Red Dot for the dubs and 16's. If you want go more shot like 1 1/8 OZ. Go for it! But I have been shooting 1 Oz. shot for quite sometime now and have shot basicly similar to 1 1/8OZ. Just gives me more rounds per bag. To me the difference in 1 1/8OZ. and 1OZ. in birds isn't that much. Good Luck and Keep Shootin Straight!! Rich (inPeoria,Az.)

5. Bernie

Bernie TS Member

Everybody should shoot 9s at singles- that way there wouldn't be as many shootoffs.

6. Bernie

Bernie TS Member

Sure thing alfie, they are hitting them 5 yards out of the trap house. Beam me up Scottie.

7. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

If you're a good shooter, you should be able to hit a target with anything. I bet Leo Harrison could run 100 straight with 3/4oz of #12's.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

REDDO4, Sir shoot is correct, I've been shooting 7/8 of 9s at about 1210/1220 fps, my personal skeet load, at singles for a number of years and suffered no downside at all. With 512 of the little pellets in the swarm, pointing at the bird reduces them to a cloud of dust....Bob Dodd

9. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

Thanks for all of the replies.

I have one other question. Do you normally have to choke tighter with the smaller pellets? My initial pattern testing seems to indicate tha my patterns are larger with #9's. I know every barrel is unique, just wanting to know what other's experience has been.

10. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

I haven't shot 9s myself, but last year a friend wanted to shoot a few targets before pheasant season. He was shooting an old Ithaca 37, full choke, 1-1/8 9s. He was calling for the targets with his gun down, and was shooting them way, way out. He didn't hit them all, but the ones he did hit were smashed.

11. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

9's lose energy mighty quickly...and I'm with bernie; watch targets from the side and you'll see even the fastest shooters have a hard time hitting the birds before they have gone 10 yards.
    Yes, 9's will crush a target if you get 4 or 5 pellets on the bird, but I don't believe ONE #9 will break a piece off the same way one #8 or #7.5 will.....not as often, anyway.

That said, I have used skeet loads on 16yd birds and broken them. Would I have broken one or two or three more if I'd been using #8's? I'll never know.

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I use 8 1/2 all the time, but I don't think tey work any better. they sure smash em when they are hit though.

13. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Never had any trouble at all with 9's from 16 yds. If all I shot was singles I would probably use 9's, but since I shoot handicap also I shoot 8's for everything. That eliminates the need for keeping different shot sizes on hand and keeping my ammo seperate.

hubcap

14. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I think EVERYONE, should shoot 9's........just think of all the pellets!!!!

GS

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

REDDO4, Choke? I use the factory #3 (Imp. Mod.) in the KS-5 special with the weenie load and see no reason to change either up or down. RE distant shots with 9s, code5coupe, I will make some multiple and terrible moves on birds occasionally like any other tyro. But 512 of the little boogers (9s) still render a bird to a cloud of dust even at the peak of a flight if the final move is relatively correct. If the final move isn't good, then I'd not hit the target with 512 baseballs.....Bob Dodd

16. dawg

dawg TS Member

I just broke a 197 at the West Virginia State shoot with Remington STS 9s. The wind was blowing the targets like crazy, not to mention you shoot over a steep hill. I really don't believe the wind affected the shot, I had 3 mistakes and I know where I missed at.

Dawg

17. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I continued my hitting streak today with the STS light target 9's, there were a few that I thought for sure I was going to miss as I pulled the trigger, but they were smashed just like the rest of them. I think this may be my new 16 yard load.

18. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

we us to use 10 shot for grouse hunting. i wonder if they still have that size shot?

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I repeat this for those that haven't heard this story before. I watched a skilled shooter empty a box of 25, .410 caliber, skeet loads, packed with #12s, in a field grade, breakopen gun, from 30 yards behind the trap house, at the Martinez Gun Club in the SF.Bay area in the '70s one evening and he scored 18 hits. He made it real easy for himself by shooting them all from what would be the 30 yard, #3 post. Will #9s break 16 yard targets?.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Earl, those # 10s would work ok for the early part of the grouse season, especially on young birds. Late season fully feathered grouse require a heavier dose of medicine from my grouse hunting experiences.

Bob, 8.5s with new zest? :) HappynAZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.