1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

9mm.Pistol Primer help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 02, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 02

02 TS Member

I was given about 400rds. of reloads from my neighbor. The problem is, I did some checking on the Primers he used were Remington 5 1/2 small pistol primers. Remington recommends the 1 1/2 small pistol primer. The 5 1/2 primer is for .357 mag and .40 cal. Should I not shoot them?

Thank's
    Paul

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I would shoot a couple and see if there are any pressure signs on the primer. HMB

3. 02

02 TS Member

just wondering should I shoot them with used pistol? kind of nervous using them in my new beretta!

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

O2

I would look at the rest of the components and compare it to published data. The main difference might be that the 1 1/2 ia a standard small pistol primer and the 5 1/2 a "magnum" small pistol primer. Pressures may or may not be different with the other components in the load. Sometimes the primer cups are thicker in the magnum type primers. If you have the details of the load, post it and maybe someone can verify if the load is published somewhere.

As a general rule, I don't shoot other people's reloads unless I have the utmost trust and confidence that they are as anal as I am. If you can confirm the load's data and it is listed as safe enough, then shoot them. If not, break them down and reuse the brass and bullets.

5. 02

02 TS Member

the cases are all trimmed to .744. powder is Alliant Bullseye 4.2 grns 115 grn
    copper plated round nose bullets

6. 02

02 TS Member

what primer would be good for the 9mm? using bullseye powder or should I get different powder.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

O2

The data looks alright, except for the use of the 5 1/2 primer instead of the usual 1 1/2. The case length is listed at .754" maximum. I usually trim the 9MM to .749", since the round headspaces on the case mouth. That gives me a little wiggle room for a tight chamber, but not too much to worry about. I would prefer to use a standard primer. Bullet seating depth is also critical. Seating bullets deeper into the 9MM case will raise pressures dramatically.

The proper primer would be the one listed in the data you are using, as well as the case and bullets. There are some variations in all components, so keeping them to a minimum might not be a bad idea.

I summary, if the loads don't appear to have deep seated bullets, they would probably be safe enough to shoot. If loading in the future, I'd be sure to use the right primers. My thoughts on the Remington primers and why they use the 5 1/2 in the .357 Magnum, .357 Sig, and the .40 S&W would be that a thicker or stronger primer cup might be in order in these high pressure calibers. It may not be that they are much "hotter". A call to Remington or an eMail, might be a good way to verify that.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I would NOT shoot someone elses reloads..

9. 02

02 TS Member

Thank's guy's for your help! I am in midst of breaking them down. Can I save the powder? or should that be discarded

Paul

10. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Magnum primers are not always specified for "magnum" calibers. They are most often used with some of the harder to ignite powders like H110. I'd steer clear of anything in 9mm that is not exactly up to spec from the manuals. I blew the bottom out of a case, wrecked a magazine and split one grip panel when a bullet telescoped into a case (we figure). It cured me of several things: sort all cases and toss any that seem thin or have any kind of wierd markings, stay away from max loads, taper crimp to spec and don't overcrimp as that will swage the bullet smaller and let it slip into the case on feeding.

As an aside, for those of you who rotate magazines, ammo and so on.....if you drop a magazine, pull the slide and eject the loaded round..don't put it back on top of the magazine again....repeated chambering will move the bullet small amounts into the case, gradually decreasing the OAL and increasing the pressure at that time that it is actually fired. Loaded rounds for semi autos should be able to withstand 20-25 pounds of force (push them against a bathroom scale, measuring before and after). 9s are notorious for pressure spikes.

Shoot safe, shoot often and learn from every shot.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You guys are a bunch of whimps. HMB

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

I would not save the powder.

I agree with the advice to not shoot them. Why take the chance.

I also would trash the cases. De-priming a live primer is not a good idea and 9mm brass is not that expensive.

Don Verna

13. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Bullseye is not the powder to be experimenting with.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

4 grains of powder, devastation is on the horizon. HMB

15. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Where are you located? I'll take them off your hands. GOOD LUCK

16. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

4.2 gr of Bullseye with a 115 gr bullet is a VERY mild load to say the least. My PD loads with the 115 Speer Gold Dot are 5.0 gr and my IPSC Minor loads are 4.6 gr with a 124 gr Zero in my STI Stinger. I load the same for my AR15 9mm but use pulled carbine primers which are essentially rifle primers.

There is no way in Hell that using magnum primers with the load you have is dangerous.

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

There is quite some truth in what Claybrds posted..BUT.. How do you know for sure what the whole box of shells are??? At that point.. I pull the bullets..and reload with a slower burning powder..off the top.. and reassemble.. then.. every time I pulled the trigger.. I'd have no doubts..

I NEVER shoot someone elses reloads.. I do not allow anyone to shoot their reloads in my guns.. and when I shoot a fellow shooters gun.. I only shoot factory shells.. PERIOD...

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

Is your pistol rated for +P loads? If it is, I wouldnt worry about that loading.

19. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

To follow up, the Alliant Reloading Guide that I'm perusing lists 5.0 gr of Bullseye and a 115 gr bullet as giving 1180fps @ 30,000psi. That is with Winchester Small Pistol primers but there is a great deal of safety margin if you are loading 4.2 grains.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.