1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

9mm, 9x19, 9 para, 9 luger??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jjv1234, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjv1234

jjv1234 Member

I am a shotgun shooter first, in distant second I like to rifle shoot and occasionally break out a handgun. Most of my handguns are larger caliber revolvers(except for a .22lr) and have never owned a 9mm.

What are the differences in the 9mm calibers? I think some of what I listed may be the same thing, just a different name? Do newer style 9mm's all shoot the calibers listed in the title?

2. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Don't forget 9mm kurz, 9mm Largo and a 9x21.

All the ones you mention above are the same.

3. grumpyduck

grumpyduck TS Member

9mm = 9mm parabellum = 9x19

9mm kurtz = .380 acp = 9x17

9mm largo = 9x21

None are interchangeable

I'm not 100% for wikipedia it seems the information listed is relatively accurate see link above: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9mm

4. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Now for the Super Comp, Makarov and Win Mag all 9mm also. So many choices.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The 9X21 is a niche round, for those countries that do not allow a private citizen to own a firearm in a military caliber. 9X19 may be fired in them.

It would almost seem they were made that way. :^)

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

They also load with the same dies..

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Yes, current "9 millimeter" pistols are pretty much all chambered to shoot the caliber that you listed. Those four versions all refer to the same cartridge, and essentially any new pistol you see today that's called a 9mm will be chambered for this. On ammo boxes, "9mm Luger" seems to be the most common name. Phil E

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a box of 9x18...is that the Macarov???...I know its written on the box which is buried too deep to bother digging just to refresh this old busted memory?

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Yes, 9X18 is for the Makarov pistol. Phil E

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

anybody ever use the 18's in a 9x19...I wouldn't think that would cuse a problem...the ammo is some of the old Norinco stuff

11. 100straight

100straight Member

I've seen .38 Super also labeled as 9X23. Do not shoot 9mm Luger in 9mm Largo guns, especially the old Astras. The chamber pressure of the Luger ammo is higher. I've seen quite a few Astras with cracked frames from having fired 9mm Luger ammo.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

12. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see European 38 Super brass marked 9X23. It isn't quite 23mm long, but is pretty close. The 9mm Largo is a true 9X23mm. I'd agree one shouldn't shoot 9X19 ammo in a 9X23 (9mm Largo) chamber. I'd be surprised if it'd ignite, though, being so much shorter than the chamber. I've used 38 Super brass for reloading for my 9mm Largo Star Super pistols with good success (using Largo loads,) but the brass that really shines in the Largo pistol is 9X23 brass (using Largo loads, obviously.) It's among the thickest, strongest brass made, and that gives me an extra margin of confidence. That thickness gives it reduced internal volume, so one can reduce loads appropriately. Phil E

13. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Be a man, step up to 10mm :)

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Some of us used to put .38 Supers into our .38 Special revolvers. The .38 Super is semi-rimmed, so it headspaced OK. The pressure exceeds that of .38 Special +P+, and while a good quality .38 Special revolver can handle it, it is quite harsh on the gun, and will cause rapid premature wear (so called frame stretching, which in reality is stretching of the crane). We never did more than test it and then only chambered them for carry. But in the old days this gave us a big increase in power over the .38 Special. This started well before the .38 Special +P was even around, probably by those carrying a 1911 in .38 Super with a small revolver for backup, so they only had to carry one kind of ammo. This is all a moot point now that there are small revolvers chambered in .357 Magnum.<br>
    <br>
    Again, this is NOT a recommended practice - it may well be quite unsafe with some less than high quality revolvers, or cause damage within a few rounds. It also can get a rim under the extractor and tie up the gun while reloading unless it is held right when doing a case dump. And as I said, there is absolutely no need to do it anymore since .357 Magnum revolvers are readily available.

15. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I don't know how old you are Brian but we used to use the Lyman 358156 gas check in 38 sp. cases over a good dose of 2400 and get more than a super ever would...crimp in the lower groove and use in at least a 19 or N frame...and this was in the early sixties, I believe.

Also, the 357446 with its two crimp grooves was used by dad and I with 13 grains of 2400 in 38 cases for a nice warm load that would surely equal or beat the "super".

All said, I have a super and love it. I just don't know why anyone would put them in a special when the wherewithall was there to make the special sing.

Apologies if I hit a sore note...not my intention, but I've been messing with this stuff since about '58 without a blowup, bulged cylinder, or split forcing cone and have whacked deer, a couple pigs and a pile of chucks with my Ks, supers and Rugers.

Best regards. Stan

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Stan, at the time I never used reloads for self-defense. Factory only, and the 38 Super beat all 38 Specials but the 38/44 Heavy Duty, which was discontinued and becoming an item for cartridge collectors. The loads you were making were probably similar to the 38/44 Heavy Duty. They were supposed to be used only in the N frames, not in K frames. But, then, we weren't supposed to be loading 38 Supers in K, I and J frames either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

9x21 vs 9x19 interchangeability

content