1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

99 Tahoe mainteance @ 100k whats needed ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by need to shoot more, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Hello motor heads,
    I am 2nd owner on this truck bought it with 30k on it 7years ago so you can see not a heavy driver. No towing but a dailey city driver. I just had the anti- freeze flushed, debating on a transmission flush? also a tune-up? neither were ever done.Any suggestions would be appreciated. p.s. 4wd,350 cid.
    Thank you in advance and Happy Holidays to all.
    Jim Zee

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

At 100k miles all the maintence items you mention would be a very good idea.

Eric

3. need to shoot more

Hey Sarge Does this thread BORE you? I figured it was only a matter of time before a planet named anus opened up.
    If I follow the recommendations on my pet food containers they would all be overweight and spend the day eating.
    I watch threads on food,pets,jokes, short stories,watches etc. I even put it in the correct catgorey.
    I just wanteded a professinals opinion, so that being said when I do my poo paper report yom can P.M. me direct so not too put your self out there.
    I check the thread later, and again Happy Holidays too all including Sarge.

4. need to shoot more

Thanks Eric & Pat

5. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

If you haven't changed the tranny fluid in this vehicle previously, I wouldn't change it now. I had 263,000 miles on my '93 K2500 4X4 when I got rid of it, and I never changed the tranny fluid. I never had any trans problems. I have been told by mechanics that I know, that if you don't change it regularly, don't change it at all.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Along with everthing else mentioned, don't forget about the transfer case and the differentials. These will take special additives/oils and can get quite pricey. Have your hoses checked as well. These will start cracking after a time and need to be replaced.

Check the brake fluid color. If it's dark colored and you can't see the bottom of the reservoir have it flushed. This will help prevent the calipers from sticking (because of water being in the fluid causing corrosion) and a costly brake job.

When you have the cooling system flushed, don't use permanent type antifreeze. This stuff is expensive and very harmful to the cooling system. Just use regular type antifreeze and flush every couple of years.

I have a Chevy P/U with the same driveline and it has worked flawlessly for 220,000 miles with no major break downs/repairs. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

ss

7. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Jim,

I have a duplicate vehicle to yours that just turned over 180,000 miles trouble free.With the milage you have I would change the gear oil in the front and rear differentals.Flush the transmission with a new filter.Replace fuel and air filters when needed (20,000 + or -)One thing of intrest at this time and mileage is to check all your steel and rubber brake lines on all four corners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Speaking for myself being from New England with all the salt put on the roads in the winter,ruptured brake lines can be a big issue.
    Any other questions Im around LOL. Retired Chevrolet Tech.
    Sandy,

Moosup ,Ct.

8. need to shoot more

This was the type of input I was looking for Thanks to all I am making my list.
    Jim

9. moowho

moowho Member

while your at it new plugs, wires,cap,rotor,will help ( I have a 99 Yukon denali with 125000 )Bryon

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Plugs last a long time now that the lead is gone from fuel. You can tell by their appearance, they probably could use a gap setting and that's all. Wifey's small car has 120K and plugs are fine. I would examine them carfully before replacing.

Wires, cap and rotor definitely yes.

The wires are not wire. Just a synthetic fabric thread with a little carbon. they dry out and the slightest movement can case a crack which becomes a gap the spark has to jump across.

You can tell bad wires by poor damp starting, missing till engine is completely warmed up, etc.

Use a good grade silicon replacement set of wires. Rout them exactly like original to guard against inductive cross firing.

Transmission fluid should be changed when it gets a little brown, that color is material from internal parts and can cause premature failure. (this is from my tranny shop pal)

Differentials will benefit with new gear oil. Blackness is suspended crap and needs to go away.

I'm glad you had good luck with your Chev. My 305 died at 90K and good riddance. couldn't pull a sick old granny off a pisspot. Replaced with a 350.

HM

11. Borderland

Borderland Member

The 99 Tahoe automatic 4wd option transfer case is so rare you should spend the money for synthetic atf in it. If you have changed the engine coolant you should replace with GM dexcool -not ethylene glycol and now after the flush you will need to install 2 GM sealant tabs (available from any GM dealer and they will know what you are looking for)otherwise the intake manifold is prone to leak. The spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles and the off road type air cleaner has a resetable indicator for high vacuum that will tell you when to change the filter. Run some Chevron techron injector cleaner occasionally to keep the multiport injector (housed under the intake manifold) clean.

Ken

12. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I wouldn't change the transmission fluid either. Definitely check the rear end, make sure the cover isn't leaking and you have fluid in there. That will save you 1k.

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Another thing you should change is the power steering fluid, use a turkey baster with a hose attached to it.

14. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

On my 98 Tahoe 2 wheel drive, @ 100K I changed the plugs with platinum tip plugs and changed the transmission fluid also. Was running fine then and when I sold it. I do change my oil every 3K miles.Ray

15. need to shoot more

Thanks to all, just letting you know I appreciate the time, effort and thought process.

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

That year truck had the better synthetic blend Dexron3 fluid...it will have easily held up 100K but you really should change it now because at 100K your tranny is still a youngster and not one of those abused units that you might as well drive and forget....I didn't changre the fluid in my 97 Olds until 110K and was rewarded with new feeling snappy but smoother shifts and it worked much smoother when cold.

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

According to Chevrolet through the Mitchell On Demand data base on a 99 Tahoe with 100 k you need to replace the trans fluid and filter, spark plugs and plug wires and the PCV valve for normal use applicaiton. I would check the brakes, steering and suspenions components, tire wear, and drive line joints; to be safe at this point in the vehicles life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.