1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$99 chain saw

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I just got back from "Home Depot" this afternoon. They had an 18" "Poulan" chain saw for $99, and it came with a carrying case! Wow!! How in the hell can you sell a chain saw for $99? A damn pair of tennis shoes cost that now. A replacment chain is like $20 itself. An axe, or maul will run you 25 to 30 dollars. I'm ashamed to say what I spent on a couple of splitting wedges.

I was tempted to buy, but I've got a half dozen saws already. I thought I got a deal 4 or 5 years ago when I purchased a "Craftsman"/"Poulan" for $150 then. It has been a good, decent saw, use it all the time.

I know you get what you pay for, but the last "Stihl" I purchased last winter was between 400 and 500 bucks and I didn't get a carrying case.

$99!! That won't even pay for a day of shooting a couple of hundred registered targets, when you include shells.

2. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

And POS means what?

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Piece of S___?

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Piece of s**t, you only get what you pay for.

5. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have a Poulan that I got in 1979. I have cut 2 to 5 cords of wood with it every year since and it is still going strong. Only repairs: replaced clutch, fuel line, bar and several chains.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Whenever I buy something like this I do a search on google for reviews. Poulan has very poor reviews

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I've had a Craftsman "Poulan" for over thirty years...not heavy use but regular. Plug now and then, replace the rope, keep it oiled, good chain, and it may sit a year but fires right up.

I'll keep my POS but am looking for a bigger one now that I have forty three acres of rough stuff to cut trails through.

I imagine my cost/cord is pretty low with this old saw. Used it this spring to clear the area around my cabin.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They are not bad. the early ones had a better carb, the Chinese carb is sometimes impossible to work with.

The chain is narrower than the major brands but you can live with it. You need smaller file and stone diameters, is all.

For occasional use they are fine.

If you are a logger or need it every couple days I would use an older Stihl(not the new plastic junk), a Husky, Jonsered, or Echo.

99 dollars is a good price, the 18 inch bar models from Sears go for 150 or so most of the time.

My last Poulan/Sears is a refurb I gave 105 for and other than a tendency to vapor lock when hot,(damn chinese carb again) it suits me just fine.

My first one was better but unfortunately it succumbed to a batch of straight gas my child fed it in a fit of retardation.

I would buy the 99 dollar one for a spare, maybe.

HM

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Sometimes they work way better then they should. I know guys that cut 5 cords a year with those little Poulans and have had way better luck with them then their price tag would indicate. I run bigger saws as I cut bigger wood and there is no substitute for power. It's true that you get what you pay for but some guys get more then they pay for with those little Wal-Mart Poulans. Jeff

10. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Had a Poulan. It ran fine for two or three years and then would not start. No compression. Had it looked at by a repair shop. They took it apart and told me it was not worth repairing. Took it home, tried it and it ran for another couple months and then would not start. No compression again. That time it really caused me a problem since I had a tree partially cut but not yet dropped. That damn thing just would not start.

Jonsored had a special going on which they were giving a very good trade in for any other brand chain saw. Took advantage of the sale. Never needed to do anything else to the JSR other than clean filters, sharpen chain, and such. It cut a heck of a lot better than the Poulan, ran longer on a tank of gas and was a LOT LESS TIRING to use because of the anti-vibration mountings used and better balance. After using the JSR I realized just how poor a choice I made in buying the Poulan.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Poulan, Mossberg, fine for occasional use.

You should know that before buying, it's obvious.

I just don't need a 400 dollar saw for 2 cords of fireplace wood a year.

HM

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I purchased a Paulen "Wood Shark" at Home Depot 8 years ago for $89 to use as a back up. It's been absolutely fantastic. I take it up North to my Buddies cabin and I use is regularly around the yard....it WILL NOT die. I didn't expect it to last any more than a couple of years. One of the best/luckiest purchases I've ever made.

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a Poulan and its been faithful and even has the same plug...I keep the filters clean and the blade oiled and sharp..and I use Amsoil 2 cycle mixed close to 100/1 and never had a single problem..starts on the 2nd pull every time even when its stone cold

14. krieghoff200

krieghoff200 TS Member

Having been in the outdoor power equipment business for almost 40 yrs, i have seen many brands come and go. At one time we used to sell Poulan chainsaws and their other lawn and garden equipment. But approx. 25 yrs ago we took on the Husqvarna line and never looked back. To my surprise about 1994 Electrolux(the parent company of Husqvarna) also bought Poulan and refined some of the smaller saws and elimnated most of the larger models. Poulans/Craftsman saws are sold only thru mass merchandisers. However for the average home owner that cuts very little they are not a bad bargin, but when they are brought in for service, the customer usually ends up spending almost as much to repair them as they paid for them. Thats when I sell them a true chainsaw, a Husqvarna, and usually end up with a customer for life...

krieghoff200... Steve White

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think you will get $99 of work out of it and then some. Of course a chainsaw is very much a guy thing and being guys we always want bigger and badder stuff. Call it saw envy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.