1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*98 - The Perfect Score??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

If you shoot just for fun, like many of us do, the most comfortable score you can break in an event is a 98. You’ve had little pressure to contend with (you had already lost two targets) and ended up with an very respectable score. Like the man said, how many of us hurt our average when we break a 98.

BB

2. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

See, that's why fun shooters will always be fun shooters. They're comfortable with a 98 and think it's a respectable score.

~Michael

3. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I once had a 98 at singles...but it took 5 sub-events to do it !! Thank You !!

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Slick13, is there anything wrong with shooting for fun???

5. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

"I just shoot for fun" is code for "I can't handle the pressure or the competition".

I don't know about you, but I don't consider missing targets "fun". Makes me down right miserable.

~Michael

6. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

A past friend of mine, Frank Sidebotham, used to tell me that a 96 was a perfect score. The rest were luck.

Ed Yanchok

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Slick13 I feel sorry for you man, there are a lot of us out there that love to shoot just for the fun of it. As you mature I hope you find pressure something you learned to overcome and not let it interfere with your fun. Competition is friendly and can hang on a fifty cent bet, and not worry if the score is 100 or 85.
    I've been trap shooting since the fall of 04, I shot a perfect 100 the very first competition I entered and have shot that score 3 more times since, along with numerous 99's and 89's but thank God every one of those shoots were fun, being outdoors, with good friends, and nice guns. For me, pressure and competition, were not part of the mix, but enjoyment is the reason I do it.
    Don't begrudge anyone of us that enjoys the sport for the simple pleasure of shooting and is happy with their result being it 100 or an 80. Some of us don't feel we have to be perfect all the time.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Don't feel sorry for Slick. Being competitive is fun! Success is fun! Some need competition to make it fun. Nothing beats winning a big event, or improving your scores and seeing progress under pressure. It's a rush, like finally putting an arrow in a big buck you've hunted for 3 weeks. Depends on your personality.

9. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

jbmi,

Any time I hear a shooter say "I just shoot for fun", they're probably an 85 to 92 average shooter. It's a cop out, an excuse for their bad shooting. I've never heard anyone cabable of shooting an A or AA average say they shoot just for fun, and that is why they are A or AA shooters.

Competition and pressure don't ruin my fun. Not doing my best does.

~Michael

10. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Setterman is correct. Nothing feels better than shooting well under pressure.

~Michael

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

24-24-24-24=96, a North Dakota Straight

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I agree with Slick...

Registered Shoots are for those folks that think "Competition is Fun"

Fun/Game shoots are for those folks that do not and/or cannot rise to the competitive level of shooting.

Either way, it's still fun.

The most fun is shooting for money with compulsory entry fees.

Curt

13. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Slick, I hope that isn't your attitude when some of us so called fun
    shooters are shooting.(at least I hope you keep your mouth shut to them) There one heck of a lot of us that can't afford the
    shells so we can practice more. The more I practice the better I can get. But when it takes away from my family. I am lucky I can shoot 3-4 boxes a week (75-100rounds). When I see straights made I am happy for the guy. Ken Uhlbeck

14. RHAT

RHAT Member

This subject line really caught my eye,......out of the 600 registered targets I have shot this year,..... I havd shot three 98's,....... and have a 97.2 average,...... I have also shot two 98's in handicap,....... the one thing I have noticed is that when i'm at the club just shooting with the guy's,.... most times my scores are 92-96,..... but when I enter a registered event i seem to bring more focus to the line,.... so I think competition does help a shooter improve,.....

So even as a "Fun Shooter" I do enjoy the competion

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The perfect score for me is a well broken target and knowing it's a broken target when I either pull or release the trigger and well before the shot leaves the barrel. It's the little things that add up and count regardless of whether you choose to call it fun or competition. I can defeat myself much easier than other competitors can and it doesn't take a hundred shots to do it but I still have fun.

Hap

16. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

If a person shoots for fun then any score he shoots is a perfect score.

Now as far as competition (Slick13) here's my two cents.

If a person can compete and WIN on occasion then competition can be fun and rewarding. I enjoy competition. And like Slick13, I HATE missing targets. I shoot several leagues and merchandice shoots. I even come out on top once in a while. Shooting is like anything else, if you want to improve you have to do it often. Some people don't have the time or money to do this. To look down on a shooter for a low average or not shooting competition is to lose another shooter. I have a friend who doesn't shoot any competition and he enjoys shooting as much as I do.

Joe

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I shoot skeet, trap, 5-stand and sporting clays. I don't have the time or the money to shoot registered events in all of them. I wish I did. I will shoot leagues in any of them when I can find them. I enjoy shooting a round just for fun but also love competition. My favorite are probably the leagues. You get the competition but also get the camaraderie that is missing from registered shoots. Being on the same team you pull for each other and ride each other a little when someone's shooting falls off. Registered shoots are fun but very serious. I love competing but breathe a sigh of relief when the competition is over whether I am shooting good or bad. Winning high over all in a league is a great feeling because everyone there knows who is winning and in the end, who won. You get the fun of winning with a team along with the individual competition.

18. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Slick13, consider me your first A shooter to say I shoot for fun. This year my average so far is 96.6, last year I finished with 94.6 (10,400 reg. birds, 4500 16's). You see, there are some of us out there.

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'd bet most trap shooters would be pleased with a 98. I know I would. Can't remember the last time I shot a 98 in competition.

20. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I don't look down on shooters that carry a low average, or can't afford to shoot as much as they'd like. As long as they're working to improve, I respect them. But I know that more often than not "just for fun" is an excuse made up to downplay dropping targets. Who cares if you drop ten out of 100 targets if it's "just for fun" right?

~Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.