1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

950 pw reloading problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by model12x, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. model12x

model12x TS Member

Hi. I have a 950pw reloader that is giving me problems.
    I have stripped the machine, cleaned all the old grease,powder, shot from the machine. Cleand the center post grove and polished out the burrs. Replace the spacer,polished the spacer holding allen screw.I have polished the center post with 600 grit paper so that the indexing collar slides smooth as silk
    My problem is that without a shell in the holders, it advacnes, as soon as i put one shell in the shell holder it drags, and does not index to the next shell holder. The shells are seated flush, the primers are flush.
    So i am looking for help in solving this matter.
    Thanks
    Greg

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Polishing-up the center shaft will not help the wear that has most likely occurred in the dog-leg groove in that shaft.

The dog-leg groove is what determines the amount of Indexing. It probably should be replaced. In its replacement, it is not a simple process. You can have the following conditions: (1) the shaft could be installed too high, causing premature indexing, (2) too low, causing late indexing which add more problems, and/or (3) not 100% square with the world which can cause an out-of-time condition.

You will notice at the top of this shaft at the top Toolhead, two Allen head set-screws 90ยบ apart, AND a roll-pin sticking partially out of the same area.

The set-screws are not a problem, but a new center shaft does NOT have that roll-pin hole drilled in the shaft. Reason is: Once the shaft is install in its correct position (not too high, not too low, and square with the world), the roll-pin hole is then manually drilled partially into the shaft, and the roll-pin is then tapped into place... NOT ALL THE WAY IN - as you'd never be able to ever remove the center shaft again without some serious work and/or dismemberment on the Toolhead.

The factory never used to sell the center shafts to an end user for the above reasons, but a mechanically inclined person *can* do the removal and install, presuming they follow my above instructions or those on my website.

BEFORE RESORTING TO A NEW CENTER SHAFT - The LAST place for you to look for improper indexing is on the turret itself. Raising the Index Collar, (1) inspect the Indexing Pin for being tightness (it should not show any wear because it is has been super hardened), (2) inspect the aluminum turret's EIGHT indexing holes. If they are elongated, and they get that way after years of usage, then the turret will need to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

Jim White

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.