1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.95 cal rifle shoots a 2400 grain bullet.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xohy9gWz7kk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome. But ouch!

.95 caliber centerfire with 240 grains of blackpowder pushing a 2400 grain bullet. The rifle weighs 50 lbs.

2. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

That's one heck of a squirrel gun!

3. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

wow The scope looks way too small for that big gun!

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

If you watch about the 3:10 mark, the last shot, you can see some papers two benches over fly into the air from the muzzle blast coming out of the porting. Wonder why they didn't use a lead sled for that testing instead of a regular rest? Guess they really wanted to feel it.

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I don't get it. Doesn't appear to be useful for anything. Did they say who developed it and why?

rm

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yeah baby!!!!

..........…...

Yak,

It says who made the gun if you listen close but i'm hard oh hearing and couldn't make it out. The reason, heck haven't you ever heard of doing something just because you could? That's reason enough for me anyway.

I think they are gonna hunt squirrel with it. :)

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

This is the first of three made, did they say it's too light, they other two are 110 lbs? Can't hear what they said. Wonder why they wouldn't use smokeless powder?

Wayne

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Wane, I believe, Could be mistaken here, But the use of smokeless propellant in a rifle cartridge that large would be classified as a destructive device by the gestapo(ATF).

Jim

9. ctreay

ctreay Member

I have been out of the service for 50+ yrs but I believe that all the big naval guns are still fueled by black powder, got something to do with pressure curves.

ctreay

10. jhoward

jhoward Member

A big navel gun would be a .44 bulldog, a big naval gun on the other hand, is a totally different animal!

I believe Jim is right, anything over .50 cal would be considered a destructive device. That's an issue Taurus ran into with those protypes of the Judge they made in .28 gauge.

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

So all the Nitro Express cartridges and others over .500 are blackpowder?

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

No reason was given but they did say some co in Ohio made three of them. The gun in the video was a 50 lb gun and was the first. The other two are 110 lb's. One how much? Two can I get one? LOL Now I wonder what the range is.

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Yep, it would fall under destructive device with that much smokeless powder. Probably takes a lot less black powder. Shotguns are excluded. Chapter 44, Section 921, A, B, C, D, definitions.

Wayne

14. MR870

MR870 Member

WOW!A 23 mm Elephant Varmit Rifle!

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Just did some Googling. The rifle cost $8000.00 $40.00 per shell. Its under "the McBros .95 caliber Rifle".

16. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Interesting to say the least...why would be the better question?!? Where did you all hear that this was loaded with 240 gr black powder? In the video, he states a 2400 grain bullet and 240 gr of powder...doesn't specify black powder or smokeless?? As for this being classified a destructive device, even with the use of smokeless powder in a rifle over .50 diameter, a Class 3 FFL holder can still own and operate the rifle. It is common practice to load the 700 Nitro Expresses with 2 grains of Bullseye in the bottom of the case, and then a full charge of smokeless powder over that. The Bullseye, being a very fast burning powder, is used to ignite the large volume of standard burning rate powder that is used to propel the bullet. The cartridge was designed by J.D. Jones of SSK Industries in Ohio.

17. jhoward

jhoward Member

In looking at the linked firearms laws I find something interesting...

(D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.(4) The term "destructive device" means:

(B) any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter;

(5) The term "shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

If you put a rifled slug barrel on a shotgun it is no longer a smooth bore and, at least in 12ga, is over .50 inches in diameter. Does this make a shotgun with a rifled slug barrel a destructive device?

18. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Wow! Talk about out of control. Made my whole upper body hurt just watching.

John

19. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

This cartridge has been granted a "Sporting Use" exception by the BATFE.

See link above.

20. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Anywhere I can order a couple rounds? Cool paper weights :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2400 grain gun

what gun shoots a 2400 grain bullet