1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

92 Perazzi Mirage CaseColor Pigeon Special SPF

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by ushoot2, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ushoot2

ushoot2 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

1992 Mirage offered @ starting bid $4000 No Reserve
    See Gunbroker auction for details.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=290853025

ushoot2_2010_181167.jpg

Pm if more info needed.
  2. JACK

JACK Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

why does the receiver face have a insert?
  3. ushoot2

ushoot2 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

MIA
    This is what I was told by the former owner.
    He bought the gun from Giacomo at a pigeon shoot.Giacomo told him that the insert was done at the factory.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the above statement.
    What I do know is that a local shooter has a DB81 with the same insert,that he also spoke with Giacomo concerning whether or not it was factory or not. Giacomo confirmed his was as well. I do not know Giacomo. The people that I know that do say that he is a straight up guy.If anyone here knows him well enough to ask him I would be thrilled if he could confirm any of this.
    The top of the insert is engraved to match the factory engraving.
    A fellow bbs member here told me that Perazzi had a batch of guns that the firing pin holes were screwed up so rather than scrapping the whole batch they put the insert in.
    I can neither confirm nor deny the above statement.
    Another bbs member told me that this gun had probably had the piss shot out of it and that Giacomo rebuilt it.
    I dont believe this to be the case.
    If the above is true Giacomo spent more time and money on this gun then it was worth.
    This gun shows like basically brand new.If the insert is not factory is was done by someone who knew what they were doing.I think it is made of Titanium and would think that it is stronger.
    I would love to hear from anyone who might be able to help with additional info.
  4. ushoot2

ushoot2 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

5. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

0   0   0

Ushoot2,

From Karl Lippard's book pg. 35-36. This gun is one of 47 (pigeon) special run case color models built in 92-93.

There is also mention of at least 3 O/U's built during this same time period 8/92 (s/n 82xxx range) with a replaceable breach "slab", along with 50 or so TM's made with this feature.

Your gun is original.

The cat's outta the bag now!
  6. ushoot2

ushoot2 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

RickN several people thought the same thing concerning the insert. The only snafu in that theory was that the insert was engraved to match perfectly.
    Thank you Gapper. Major kudos to Gapper to solving this.
  7. ken1okie

ken1okie Member

0   0   0

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Active Member

0   0   0

Now you have a cool story to go with a very cool gun!
  9. MOP

MOP Member

0   0   0

This is a very nice gun. However. the chokes should be more like .032/.024 according to the 00/000 markings. Have you mic'd the bores/chokes?
  10. ushoot2

ushoot2 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Local smith mic'd bores @ .032 & .035
    An old catalog that I have (2003) shows 00 as full and 000 as improved mod.
  11. MOP

MOP Member

0   0   0

My Perazzi literature states that 0 = .036 - .044; 00 = .028 - .032; 000 = .016 -.024.
  12. semperfi909

semperfi909 Active Member

0   0   0

If the gun is a member of the 47 listed in Lippard w/ #'s in the 83---/84---/85--- then how did it manage to be in the group w/ the factory insert in the low 82---? Is the serial consistent w/ either of those groups? Lippard lists the specific #'s. A pic of the bottom of the monobloc would reveal answers.

just a thot
  13. ushoot2

ushoot2 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

semperfi909 I defer to Gapper on the answers to your questions. I dont own Lippards book. I am just a guy that bought a very gently used Mirage from a shooting buddy. Is this the pic you would like to see ? What I knew about this gun was stated in the third post of this thread. I can state with absolute certainty that it is a Case colored Mirage made in 1992.Making it 1 of 47.At the end of the day ,with what Gapper posted above and the fact that Giacomo told my buddy the insert was factory I have to believe that it is just that.
    ushoot2_2010_181168.jpg
  14. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

0   0   0

Lippard's book mentioned case color guns being part of a special run from 80,xxx to 85,xxx. At the same time they were building the firing pin slab guns "serial number range 82,000" with 3 Lippard personally observed in 8/92.

Not everything is in his book, but it is a big help to I.D. the variations.

#83,605 is booked as Mirage pigeon color case. Same "range" as slab 82,xxx. This gun is obviously consistent with these groups of guns. GAP
  15. semperfi909

semperfi909 Active Member

0   0   0

The gun does fall in the group you mention, even tho the chokes are not what one would usually expect from a factory "pigeon" gun. But then then are no criteria for inclusion in that particular group of guns other than the color case, so who knows? Perazzi was/is noteworthy for inconsistency hahaha.

One the slab thing I would only wonder about what amounts to a large # gap 82--- to 83--- between the ones Lippard saw and this one. After all, Perazzi only makes +/-2K guns /year. A thousand gun interval would be significant.

But like GAP says, not everything is in Lippard's book, and there are likely many moments in the Perazzi history that will never be known even if someone cared. Mr. Lippard is consult-able, I did so during the discussion on the early Perazzi choke types. He may well have an interest in this gun as it is somewhat contrary to his notes in the book. I previously contacted him here http://www.karllippard.com/

just a thot
  16. Timber2

Timber2 TS Member

0   0   0

interesting reading......somebody is going to get a nice gun......I did not know Perazzi made a special run of pigeon guns...... 1 of 47 is pretty "kool"
  17. Avaldes

Avaldes Active Member

0   0   0

You have to remember that Perazzi makes any gun to your specs if you buy it new. I wouldn't call that inconsistency, I would call that a custom built gun. So there are not really any "off the shelf" Perazzi's, there is just whatever the importer ordered. So chokes, barrel length, weight and rib type, stock dimensions, finish, etc are all built to order.

In the catalog the page for Pigeon guns are characterized by light fast barrels, thinner forearms and tight chokes. I think this gun meets that criteria nicely.
  18. MOP

MOP Member

0   0   0

Every fixed choke Perazzi pigeon gun that I have owned or seen (which is quite a few) including European models shot from shorter distances than U.S. box birds has had over .040 in the second barrel.
  19. ushoot2

ushoot2 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Mop
    Are you trying to be a troll ?(He wont let you send him a pm)
    I have stated how the gun IS choked. I have stated how the barrels ARE marked.
    I can speak not of any of the pigeon guns that you have owned,only this one that Gapper was nice enough to educate me about what I have.(Kudos again for Gapper) While I appreciate you helping keep this at the top of the list. I dont quite understand why you feel the need to be negative concerning this gun. Its a Perazzi Mirage that hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow will have a new proud owner
  20. MOP

MOP Member

0   0   0

I'm trying to share what I know firsthand about Perazzi pigeon guns. I don't pretend to know everything, but I've had more experience than most with them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.