1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

90T's by the numbers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale58, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

90T

Does anyone know how many 90T's were made? What years they were made, and how many low rib and how many high rib models? thanks, Dale

2. redhawk

redhawk Member

I asked Doug Braker that,if I remember right,approx. 3600+/- total,of those about 600 +/- were HPAR.

3. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Doug Braker had a nice post floating around on here. Had alot of info on the production run. Serial numbers,options, and changes along the way.I'm not good with computers.Maybe a kind soul will link it up. Long live the 90T.

4. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Ask Joe90T----SJB

5. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I believe 1982-1991

I looked on the Remington site and there was some history

I have looking to buy one for some time and finally found one in PA.

I'm goint to go and get it from MI. this weekend

Chuck

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a lot of posts and articles saved to word docs from Doug and others. PM me with an email addy

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

@3500 +/- (500 HPAR)

Roughly Mid 90s...

Jay

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Email: info@dougsgunsmithshop.com
    Date: Mon, Jul 06, 2009 - 08:52 AM ET
    Website Address: http://www.dougsgunsmithshop.com

It's been a while, but I'll try to recall some numbers during production.
    About 3800 guns were produced. I know definitely there were no serial numbers over 4000.
    The production serial numbers started with ST00100. There are a few guns less than that, but they were all special orders, and not all of them had "real" numbers. Some of the "numbers" had the owners initials as part of the serial number, some had birth dates, some had wedding dates.
    All of the guns produced were produced with the same quality, from start to finish. True, there were some changes.....
    Maybe to serial number 1200-ish, the bores were larger, around .747"-.755". This was impart because Remington furnished the blanks already hammer forged to .745". With consecutive bbl shipments, they kept tightening them up at our (Kolar Arms) request. Eventually, we were able to provide a finished bore at .742"-.745", with about .033" choke.
    The hi-rib adjustable 90-T had tighter bores from the start...738" with .040" choke.
    A mechanical change took place around serial number 2600, give or take 150. This change was to replace the 10 degree angle of the locking bolt and the lugs on the bbl to 8 degrees. The 10 degree angle definitely gave the life of the bolt maybe 40k rounds, but at 20k or so, it would no longer hold itself to the bbl lugs, and it would want to pop out of the lugs during a shot.(the top lever would move). With the 8 degree angle it would not. This may have shortened the life a bit, but still, 30k-35k is still a lot of shooting. Most all break-open guns are that anyway.
    The forend update you may hear or read about from me was never done to any gun during production. I started doing them while I was still at Kolar, but it was 2 years after the end of production. The angled little "shoe" was/is the weak link in the gun. I was replacing some as many as 2-3 times a year on the same gun. The update did away with the sharp angles, and allows the new insert to freely position itself beneath the lug on the bbl squarely.
    As for the wood, the early guns had nice figure with "kind-of" an orange(y) color. As more shipments arrived, the finish darkened up to a more uniform brown. This was to help us not to spend so much time matching butt stocks to fore ends. The wood was furnished by Reinhart Fajen.
    There were 4 options for wood dimensions....
    #1...1-1/4" MC
    #2...1-3/8" MC
    #3...1-1/2" MC
    #4...1-1/2" straight comb
    All of the hi rib guns had an adjustable stock.
    Early production guns could be had as special orders, with many options...adj combs, adj pads, porting, choke tubes(Kolar tubes), extra triggers, release triggers, extra bbls(including a few 32" bbls).
    I believe it was 1991 that 50 guns were produced for the ATA, one for each state. They had a little engraving on them, including the shape of the corresponding state on one side plate and the ATA logo on the other. I don't recall how they were serialized (maybe someone may have one and could fill this part in).
    Not all of the "state" guns were sold, and they were sent back to Remington and parted out. During the big regime change at Remington, the employees were able to piece guns back together and purchase any firearm that was still available in the warehouse. So, some of those parted out "state" guns got put back into circualation, but with mis-matched parts.
    I hope this helps fill in any holes to the 90-T lovers (I love my 90-T).
    Doug Braker
    The earlier guns did have larger bores. Remington supplied the hammer forged blanks and because we were aiming to have bores of around .742", Remington's mandrel was at .742". By the time the rib was installed, the barrel straighten, we had to bore the barrels to a larger ID to get things to clean up.
    When we ordered more barrels, we would request Remington to forge on a smaller mandrel. Each time it was only about .005" smaller. Eventually, by the time we got to around serial number 1500 or so, they finally had the mandrel down to about .730". This allowed us to get the std 90-T to about .742" and the hi-rib 90-T to .737"
    It was Remington's request that the hi-rib 90-T have a bore of .737". Apparently there were some squeaky wheels on the ranges that said that .742 was too open for a trap gun. Remington also said to leave more choke (.040")in the hi-rib guns for the same reason.

Per an earlier thread from the GunDr.

9. swine

swine Member

any idea on exactly how many 32 inch barrels were made .any idea what they would be worth Larry Swentzel

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Less than 200, most say they are not worth as much but they always sell out first. Look at all the Browning offerings, 32's sold first. There was a 32" 90T on here last year that sat forever. I have shot both but like the 32 better. Just my opinion.

11. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

cubancigar2000 has a lot of good information on the 90-T. He emailed it to me and I learned a lot about these guns. Thanks, Dale

12. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

I can fill in the question regarding the serial numbers for the Hall of Fame state guns. If the gun is for my home state, New Mexico, the serial number would be HF47NM. HF for Hall of Fame, 47 as New Mexico was the 47th state to enter the Union and NM for New Mexico.
    There's your nickle Knowledge for today.

Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.