1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

90T serial number

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbmi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I was talking to someone at the Mich. State Shoot about 90T's. He said there were some subtle changes to the basic gun after 1000 were made. He was convinced the last thousand produced were the best guns. Not sure where he got his info. but curiosity brings me here to ask. My SN is ST02989, approx. where does this place it in the production? What changes were made?

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

A question for Dr Gun....

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

contact either Doug Braker or Kolar... I'm shooting gun #3004 gun and I believe that's near the back end, with production @1996.

regards,

Jay

4. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

ST02989 should be in the last ones made, i had 2543 and it was in the mid range. Joe

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what is the highest SN ?

6. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Mine is STO-1835 any idea where that is?

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have a very low three digit.

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

It's been a while, but I'll try to recall some numbers during production.

About 3800 guns were produced. I know definitely there were no serial numbers over 4000.

The production serial numbers started with ST00100. There are a few guns less than that, but they were all special orders, and not all of them had "real" numbers. Some of the "numbers" had the owners initials as part of the serial number, some had birthdates, some had wedding dates.

All of the guns produced were produced with the same quality, from start to finish. True, there were some changes.....

Maybe to serial number 1200-ish, the bores were larger, around .747"-.755". This was impart because Remington furnished the blanks already hammer forged to .745". With consecutive bbl shipments, they kept tightening them up at our (Kolar Arms) request. Eventually, we were able to provide a finished bore at .742"-.745", with about .033" choke.

The hi-rib adjustable 90-T had tighter bores from the start...738" with .040" choke.

A mechanical change took place around serial number 2600, give or take 150. This change was to replace the 10 degree angle of the locking bolt and the lugs on the bbl to 8 degrees. The 10 degree angle definitely gave the life of the bolt maybe 40k rounds, but at 20k or so, it would no longer hold itself to the bbl lugs, and it would want to pop out of the lugs during a shot.(the top lever would move). With the 8 degree angle it would not. This may have shortened the life a bit, but still, 30k-35k is still a lot of shooting. Most all break-open guns are that anyway.

The forend update you may hear or read about from me was never done to any gun during production. I started doing them while I was still at Kolar, but it was 2 years after the end of production. The angled little "shoe" was/is the weak link in the gun. I was replacing some as many as 2-3 times a year on the same gun. The update did away with the sharp angles, and allows the new insert to freely position itself behinf the lug on the bbl squarely.

As for the wood, the early guns had nice figure with "kind-of" an orange(y) color. As more shipments arrived, the finish darkened up to a more uniform brown. This was to help us not to spend so much time matching buttstocks to forends. The wood was furnished by Reinhart Fajen.

There were 4 options for wood dimensions....

#1...1-1/4" MC

#2...1-3/8" MC

#3...1-1/2" MC

#4...1-1/2" straight comb

All of the hi rib guns had an adjustable stock.

Early production guns could be had as special orders, with many options...adj combs, adj pads, porting, choke tubes(Kolar tubes), extra triggers, release triggers, extra bbls(including a few 32" bbls).

I belive it was 1991 that 50 guns were produced for the ATA, one for each state. They had a little engraving on them, including the shape of the corresponding state on one sideplate and the ATA logo on the other. I don't recall how they were serialized (maybe someone may have one and could fill this part in).

Not all of the "state" guns were sold, and they were sent back to Remington and parted out. During the big regime change at Remington, the employees were able to piece guns back together and purchase any firearm that was still available in the warehouse. So, some of those parted out "state" guns got put back into circualation, but with mis-matched parts.

I hope this helps fill in any holes to the 90-T lovers (I love my 90-T).

Doug Braker

9. grunt

Thanks Doug.

10. grunt

11. GK90T

GK90T TS Member

The serial number on the Hall of Fame State Guns is HF followed by the number the state was admitted to the union followed by the two letter abreviation for the state. Example HF 48 AZ I have two of these guns, Az and NY. Hope this helps.

Gary Knight

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary.

13. fishguts

fishguts Member

Great thread gentlemen. I have #860 mint in the box. Nice gun.

Wayne

14. grunt

15. JPBROWN

JPBROWN TS Member

Where is the serial number on a 90t?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

where is the serial number on a 90t