1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

90T problem in ejecting cheap hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by late bloomer, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

My 90T will not extract or eject cheaper hulls with a steel base. It does fine with brass base hulls. I went to the cheaper hulls becasue the time spent reloading the better hulls (Remington & Winchester) was not worth the slight advantage in expense.

I must tell you I changed the 90T to extract and when the hulls wouldn't extract I converted the gun back to eject. It ejected two stell hulls and stopped ejecting the steel base hulls. When I went back to the brass base hulls, they ejected perfectly.

Do I need to replace a spring? If so, what strength? Is it something I can do myself, or should I have a gunsmith do this? Is there something else I should do?

Thanks,

Terry Sandlin
    Topeka Kansas

2. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Terry I have a 90 T that was doing the same thing hang up with cheap shells all I did was to have the frist inch of the chamber polished and that fix the porblem and it ejects the steel shell now fine start at the ejector and go in about a inch to a inch an a half have it polished to a high gloss finish try that it work for me

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Polishing the chamber might be a fix, but great care must be used to not enlarge the chamber.

Pat Ireland

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When I got mine it would not eject any of my reloads. I had to reset the collet, sizing down to .805" instead of the usual .809". Anything above .807 sticks. So far I have resisted the temptation to grind out the chamber. It will become worn soon enough.

HM

5. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

RIO ( Green Handicap) Loads are Kown for this problem and RIO know about it and it now making a Better Base for their ahells and so naturally the cost is going up also.

6. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

My 90T has same problem. When Doug Braker does a Teflon finish on mine he will also ensure the chamber is at SAMMI specs. The following is from an e-mail that Doug sent me.

Some of the 90-t's did have tighter chambers. I can open them up, but no more than the SAAMI specs. That measurement is .815". 90-T's are not the only guns that have this kind of problem.

7. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I have a well worn 90T that I use as a back up to my other 90T. To make a long story short, it was doing the same thing. I could feel a groove just inside the chamber, this was either caused by not keeping the chamber clean or just too many shells. I sent it back to Kolar and they rechambered it. John

8. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Thats the big Problem with steel based shells. I have seen it happen with Krieghoffs, Brownings, Perazzi's and all brands of shells using steel based shells. Thats pumps and breakopens. I have not heard or seen problems from Auto's but that doesn't make it that they don't have problems.

I will tell you what Chris Maest of Krieghoff told me. "You don't use cheap shells in good guns".

Another reason I reload. Brass based STS with promo and clone components. Cheap or I should say cheaper that factory STS to reload and they fly out everytime.

9. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Terry, try waiting about a 3 count before opening the breech. Most brands of guns with spring ejectors have this problem and the delayed opening works for many.

Buz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.