1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

90T opinions please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Didreckson, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have an opportunity to buy a 34" fixed full choke 90T that is in pretty fair shape. High rib, bluing I would say is 95%, wood probably about 80%. Very tight, but owner has no idea about upgrades. Seems to me that I have read on this site that there are a couple of upgrades necessary? He is asking 2500 which I thought was fair.

If anyone could clue me in on upgrades and what is needed, I would appreciate it. Also, if the price is off, need help there also. It is my understanding Kolar built these for Remington and are a pretty fair shooter. LOP is way too short for me, so I will probably do a RADII on it since it already has an adjustable comb.

Thanks much!

2. Old 870

Old 870 TS Member

From what you have described I wouldn't pay more than $2100. I bought mine on this sight last year for $1750. Even though that was cheap.

Brian

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have 2 thousand invested in mine, and I got a great deal. You have to shop 90T's for a while so you know the market.

Built like a tank, last forever, choked for smoke.

Best deal out there, next step is 3500 plus.

HM

4. BP348

BP348 Active Member

What makes the high rib model more expensive than the Low Rib model?

5. Diamond Grade

Diamond Grade TS Member

The high rib is adjustable and the low rib is not.

6. recrowl

recrowl TS Member

Absolutely great guns!! Built like a tank, but they weigh as much as one too.

7. 90T3200

90T3200 TS Member

The updates aren't really "needed" but you'll want at least one in the not too distant future and the other down the road.

The first update is to the forearm. The lug inside is held on with a small screw - the screw sheers after a while making the forearm loose, and unable to cock the gun when you open it. The update involves machining a new lug on the fore-end iron making the thing indestructable and the lock up nice and tight. I had Kolar do this, and the work was quick (1 week) and excellent. I believe it was in the $150 range.

The other update has something to do with the locking lug. I'm not quite sure about it because mine has never had any locking problems, nor is there anything that looks wrong with the lug on my gun. I believe the complain was they round after a while, but don't quote me on that. Its not something you'll need anytime soon unless the gun doesn't stay closed.

On another note...

The 90T is the best single for the money ($1300-2500). The gun is built like a bank vault, its durable, pretty much indestructable, and if you're on, the gun will smoke every bird.

90T's are often called the "poor man's Kolar" because they were built by Kolar, with their usual excellent quality and workmanship, without the huge price tag.

8. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Designed by Remington, built by Kolar under contract to Remington. A fine single barrel trap gun that will, with proper care and feeding, last a long time. Based on what I have seen on this forum, for a high rib gun in the condition you describe I might pay $2500 (with all updates done). For a low rib gun if the updates have not been done, $2500 is way more than I would pay.

Figure if the updates have not been done, and you send it to Doug Braker (the 90T guru), you will be putting $ into the gun; unless you want to be on the trap line and risk having the forend lug break in the middle of your running 100 straight. You can call Doug and ask him what the updates would cost. Then if you plan to have the gun gone over mechanically after you buy it, ask him what that would cost. Then if you plan to have it reblued and have the wood refinished, find out what that all would cost. Ask him what he'd charge to do the RADII also. Add up all those costs and then decide how much you are willing to pay for the gun.

Doug's Gunsmith Shop
    3929 8th St SW
    Backus, MN 56435
    218-947-3600

You may consider asking the seller if he'd be willing to ship the gun to Doug Braker (you pay shipping) and have Doug do a PPI (pre purchase inspection). Then have Doug call you and tell you the costs to bring the gun into proper mechanical shape. You may find that the updates have been done. If the seller would agree to deduct the cost of any needed repairs or updates from his asking price, perhaps you can work something out.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.