1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

90T HPAR or Monogun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Been kinda thinking of a dedicated single barrel trapgun. I've narrowed it between a 90T HPAR (a nice one can be found for 2.5-2.8K) or a Monogun (prices all over the place but a good one can be had for 3K). Both are American made and both are nearly bullet proof. Any suggestions?

ss

2. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have never owned or shot a 90T but I have absolutely nothing bad to say about a Ljutic as long as you do not buy one new. Resale values are very low but on the bright side, if you buy a nice used Ljutic you will have purchased a very high quality gun at a redicuosly low price. Guns are built like a tank and with reasonable care will last several lifetimes. Be aware that Ljutics were made with many different POI, depending on buyer preference. Good luck, Marc

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

There is little bad to say about either gun. Both are still supported by their manufacturers and both have good reputations.

Still, I think the Ljutic is superior. Why? It's a simpler design. Sure they are built like tanks, but there's just nothing that can go wrong with them. The trigger group is basically a spring, hammer and trigger sear. The opening mechanism has just one moving part. There just isn't all the little springs and sears and moving parts you see in other guns. It's a marvel of simplicity and will not break.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

It's JMO but I would never spend $2.5 to 3.0k for either of them used.

Wayne

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Shortshucker, I've owned both and you can't go wrong with either. I shot Ljutic # 1012 for 18 years and had one malfunction, self induced. I put STOS on the firing pin which caused a hydraulic lock. I cleaned the grease off and never had another problem or broke anything. When I sold the Ljutic I took a 90-T on trade. After having the lug angle update and removing the e-clips from the trigger group it performed flawlessly. I still have it (a low rib).

Buz

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Wayne,

Why not? Have you had some issue with one?

7. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

The biggest difference is the way that they handle. The HPAR is going to be heavier and slower swinging, the Mono is lighter and quicker handling. The Mono may have different heights of ribs. Pick the one that fits you best and handles the best according to your shooting style. A faster shooter probably would choose the Mono, while the more deliberate shooter might prefer the HPAR. Both are built like tanks, and both pattern well if the barrels have not been messed with. Both tend to show bluing wear. Doug Braker did a terrific job of restoring a worn HPAR for me by nickling the receiver. They are both great guns with quick lock times, nice trigger pulls, good reliability and ease of repair/servicing. Prices are soft right now for both guns, but they are worth every penny for what you get. Shoot both before you decide. Bob

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

The Monogun is in current production, the 90-T is not. Parts are readily available. The 90-t is heavy. You may tire of that feel..or lack of handling feel...not that the Ljutic is light! And the fellow who said he wouldn't buy a used Ljutic for $2500...I wouldn't put much crediblity into that comment. And nice used 90-t's can be had for $1800 to $2000...more for the high rib.

WNCRob

9. trapman69

trapman69 Member

I wasn't going to post anything. Until the trigger issue. The Kolar release in the 90T is fantastic. The Ljutic is also a great trigger. All in all these two guns are fairly even in my book. The only exception is as stated Ljutic's have a lot of different POI ribs. Tom R

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I had a chance to sample a 90T HPAR yesterday at the club. I must say that I'm impressed with the gun. Very well balanced and a real target smoker. The gun just seemed to go right to the taget without any fanfare. I still haven't sampled a Ljutic, but that 90T is a hard act to follow.

ss

11. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I have 3 release triggers for my 90-T One by Kolar One by Doug and one by a retired gun smith . None have ever pulled thru.

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'm a fan of the 90T... own one of each...

Jay

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

One more thing I like about Ljutic, customer service. You can call Ljutic and ask about any gun ever made and you will get to talk to Nadine Ljutic. She keeps a 3x5 card on every gun that ever left the factory. If the original owner sells the gun, the next owner can call Ljutic and update the ownership. Nadine will keep track of who owns them this way. Very few actually do this.

Maybe I'm just sentimental, but there's darn few manufacturers of anything out there where you can call them up on the phone and talk to the designer and maker all in one call. It was awesome to talk to Jimmy Ljutic and here the phrase, "Well, I made that one in..." Tell me of one other company where you can do that and still buy one for less than $5K?

14. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

Any gun can have a pull through. It depends a lot on who made your trigger mostly. I have had two 90t's and both had releases, never a pull through and my wife also had one and never a pull through. 90T's are probably one of the most trouble free guns ever made. Tool steel with specially heat treated parts. The 90T I am shooting now has never pulled through but it has a Kolar made release in it. I have seen Ludjic's pull through and Perrazi's not the brands fault. MHO

Mike Sudz

15. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I have sampled multiple Ljutics, but only one 90T in my shooting career. I found that the one 90T i shot kicked like a mule, even with light 1oz loads. On the other hand every Ljutic ive shot delivered the least amount of recoil of any trap gun i have tried. these are just my experiance with these two guns, Im thinking it was probably a fitting issue. Even so my vote goes to the ljuitc, flawless design and great customer service. BYG

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have owned and shot a low rib 90T and a Ljutic mono gun. Both had release triggers in them. The Remington trigger was great. The Ljutic factory release was pure junk. I could never get it to be consistant no matter what I tried. The set and release points would change as often as I changed my socks. While either of the two guns is a good choice, if you are a release shooter, I would opt for the 90T.... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.