1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

90T ejector problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jfesi, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfesi

jfesi Member

I just bought a beautiful, lightly used, late serial number 90T from a member of this forum. The gun is in fantastic condition. I took it out tonight and it shot great except for a small problem with the ejector. Sometimes it would not eject it would just try to lift the shell like I did not fire the gun and just tripwire it. I tried a few times to close it and pull the trigger again, but it never would eject until changing shells. My reloads were worse because they hung in the chamber a little tighter and would not even lift. When this would happen I would take the gun apart and push on the front of the ejector with a screw driver handle and with just a little effort it would eject the shell.
    The gun has not seen much use at all so I am thinking that I might just need to take the ejector system apart and make sure that it is not gummed up with old lube. I have two questions: 1. Does anyone have any other ideas about this ejector issue? 2. Can I polish the chamber with a bore mop and flitz or would you not recomend it? I have a few scratches in the chamber where the brass rides and would like to just clean it up a bit.
    I was going to send the gun to Dr Gun at then end of the season for annual service but would like to finish the season before sending it off.

Thanks, Joe

2. Automan

Automan TS Member

Ask former owner if he had this problem. What brand shells stick...steel base?

3. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Ask the Gun Dr-he'll have the right answer.

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

jfesi:

You wrote, "Sometimes it would not eject it would just try to lift the shell like I did not fire the gun...".

The problem may or may not be steel headed hulls sticking in the gun. If so, the head will stick in the chamber where you can't get hold of it. If the ejector lifts the hull where you CAN get hold of it (but doesn't pop the empty completely out) you have a different problem.

Whatever your problem might be, Doug Braker (aka GunDr) is THE go to guy for 90-T's. He can be contacted as follows:

Doug Braker

Dougsgunsmithingshop.com
    218-947-3600

One of the things Doug will tell you is NOT to use anything on the chamber that removes material. Vigorous cleaning is one thing. Emery cloth and other serious abrasives are to be avoided.

sissy

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I shoot plenty of steel headed shells - Winchester Xpert Steel... I don't get any problems in either of my 90Ts... PM the GunDR

Jay

6. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks for the input. I shoot all brass hulls(STS's and Nitros reloaded). I think that the problem is in the chamber since I could remove the fore arm and take the barrel off and the reloads would still be flush in the chamber. I took the ejector system apart and cleaned and lubed everything. It was a little gumed up. I am going to get in touch with the Gun Dr in a bit and see what he thinks.

Thanks, Joe

7. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Joe, if you are reloading on a Mec with a collet you might try adjusting the collet to resize the bases a bit smaller. Bob

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

9. NintyT

NintyT Member

It is my opinion that the 90-t has a design flaw in the ejector, and would recommend having the ejector set to lift the empty and not eject. I don't know all the technical terms, but the shaft of the ejector has an elongated "D" shaped slot. The sharp corners on the slot are a stress point when a shell is ejected, and it can crack there. This was a 175 dollar part, includin fitting, when it happened to me. Most steel based shells also stick in mine. Good luck with your problem. Steve j

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

After I adjusted the collet on my Mec 9000, sizing the brass at .806, that is 3 thousandths under the SAAMI standard for brass size, the sticking problems on my 90T went away.

This was with Gun Club steel based hulls. I had to adjust a little lower due to a "spring back" phenomenon with the steel base hulls.

Do NOT remove any metal from your chamber. To do so will merely imitate the wear of firing thousands of shells.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.