1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

900h charg bar sticking

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by anthony, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony TS Member

noticed the charge bar starting to stick every now and then..whats up ?

2. Arkie

Arkie Member

Loosen your bottles and this may help. Have a good day Rick.

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Anthony, One of the first things I do when setting up a reloader is to take the charge bar out, and go over it with a file, taking all the burrs and sharp corners off of it.

Make sure it passes through the square hole freely before re-assembling it. You'll be surprised at how much easier it will work.

Hauxfan!

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

If you are using an adjustable bar, throw that pos away.

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Listen to Arkie.

6. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

I had the same problem with my 410 grabber,get a powder baffle the red plastic one, problem solved. Don't forget to take out the rubber washer .

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When I have had my bar stick I found that the brass washer that is under the powder bottle will come out of its placement and get stuck between the frame and the bar. Just get a new one and an extra one because it will happen again in time. The way its suppose to go in is the bumps go up and the washer sits on the bar. Then the rubber washer and then the bottle.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

In order of likely: Bottles torqued down too tight; A sheared piece of shot has wedged itself into a position between bar and frame to slow and even stop the bar; The brass washer intended to reduce "leaking" of powder, under the powder side rubber washer, has worn until it moves between the bar and frame which slows or stops the bar from moving. I've run across no others over 30 years but I'm sure other suggestions may arise......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

BTW, my POS adjustable bars have never interfered with the operation of my two MECs; a 70s Grabber and a later 9000H! BD

9. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Just to add to what Bob has suggested. The rubber insert on the shot side of the bar. If it becomes wore it will then trap shot in between the frame and the bar. Replace as needed. If it shows wear get rid of it, it will cause you more headaches then what it is worth.

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have had to loosen the bottles on my 650. I got rid to the adjustable charge bar and went back to Mec's bar. Also the Hornaday powder baffle (the red plastic one) is a very good investment. You won't need the brass washer and the rubber gromment with that baffle. Like Hauxfan I took off all the burrs and used 400 grit sandpaper to smooth my Mec bars. I also found after a few years that the return spring was weak and ordered a new one from Mec. (Cheap fix also)

11. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I just love it when other members make comments like claybrdr's.....I understand you are entitled to your opinion, but at least do tell us why you believe an adjustable bar is a "POS" as you so eloquently put it.

I am with BDodd here I have never had a problem with my "POS" adjustable bar. As a matter of fact I personally like the ability to adjust it thus allowing me to fine tune my charge in both the shot and powder.

Bryan

12. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

As a matter of curiosity, are you using reclaimed shot?

13. anthony

anthony TS Member

i took it apart and now it seems fine. thank you for your help.
    ant

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The bottles are too tight.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My opinion of adjustable charge bars was formed when I was still loading 410s on a MEC 700. Using 296 powder, the bar would be almost impossible to move because of powder leaking. I even kept a rubber hammer to drive it when it locked up!

They are an ingenious solution to a non existent problem!

16. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Are the stick-on labels with the scale printed on them a problem?

Ray

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I usually lightly run a new bar over some 800 grit paper on a FLAT surface. I then use a little bit of graphite to lube it. The only thing that might cause it to start sticking would be the bottles or washers, or a build up of powder or shot somewhere. Sometimes just a little cleaning and a touch of graphite will have it back like new.

18. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I added another spring to my 650 as the bar was sticking sometimes and on at least a couple of occasions it dropped the powder late enough to place it in the next hull where I promptly dropped another charge. Now that was a surprise when I pulled the trigger on those two loads, BANG!!! I caught the third one when it happened and finally figured out what was happening and it was 32.7 grains of 700 X. The double spring fixed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chargbar