1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

9000H ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Robb, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robb

Robb Member

In the middle of a loading session I had one shell with primer, no shot or powder and the wad seated. All shells before and after are fine.

Did the bar move? I don't know. I assume it had to if the wad was down. The sound told me of something wrong so stopped there but can find nothing wrong.

What happened?

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Your bar was stuck. Bottles tightened too much can cause that. Hap

3. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Were You drinking?...Nuc

4. Robb

Robb Member

Bar seems fine as every shell after is OK. I had just filled it and loaded about 10 before this.

5. Hap MecTweaks

It also may have been a piece of shot lodged on top of the bar, on the rubber insert, causing the problem. Before MEC added that insert, sometimes the old bars would cut a piece of shot in half. It's clear your bar didn't move enough to drop either the powder charge or the shot which means it wasn't moving for whatever reason. Hap

6. Robb

Robb Member

Thanks Hap, I agree. It just struck me as strange. I've loaded lots of shells but had not seen this. I would have thought if the bar would not move the arm or rod would be bent but not so. Anyhow thanks again, I'll be fine.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Robb, it stuck on the way back, hence no binding of the rod. Next push by the rod cleared the obstruction (piece of shot) and away you go again. I've learned to listen carefully to the workings of mine, if it sounds funny, stop! Hap

8. Robb

Robb Member

I think I got it now Hap. I was thinking backwards. Would it be time to change the rubber in the bar? It was the sound that tipped me off as well as not seeing shot in the shell.

As you said probably a shot laying just right caused it to hang. If it happens again I'll change the rubber but I bet it will be a while. Thanks again.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I load with a MEC Grabber. The MEC Grabber loads a fine shell but it has its quirks.

Years of experience have taught me to watch the bar movement and primer drop every time I pull the handle down. I also make sure that there is a hull beneath the shot drop every time I pull the handle down when the bar is to the right.

I have a baking sheet mounted beneath the press just in case I forget. This was a great tip from TS.com

Every now and then a fired primer refuses to be easily pushed out of a hull and this causes an interruption in my loading routine. I have a de-primer from an old Lee hand loader that just fits into the shell mouth so that I can tap the primer all the way out.

I also tighten and loosen the bottles just a tad every time I add powder and shot.

10. Hap MecTweaks

I've been loading on mine since the very early 90s and it's happened a couple times on it too. I do use the rubber washer on both sides and the metal washer on the powder side. I don't think you need to worry about changing the rubber insert though.

School teacher, I added Lexan on top of my bench and raised my loader 1 inch above the table top. This allows me to sweep under all parts of the loader when I'm cleaning up. Added a 1/2 inch perimeter strip of the same material all the way around to catch errors falling on the table top. At the end closest to the machine, the strip is pinned so I can raise it and sweep up any dirt/powder/shot that falls on it into a dust pan. It works the same as your muffin pan but makes cleaning it out easier for me. Hap

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

What happened to Robb has happened to me too in the 30+ years with Grabber and 9000H MECs. Hap has the explanation dead right. I DO change the rubber grommets at the first sign of it or they getting a little chewed up, especially the shot side. Sometimes just turning the shot side 180* will postpone any replacements for a while. I also have, over the years, learned to begin the stroke, watch the primer fall, see that it is transported to the next station, and also see the bar go forth and back from at least peripheral vision. If I miss the primer dropping or the bar slide properly, I stop and check the first 3 stations before proceeding.....Bob Dodd

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Even with my 650 a person has to watch the bar but as stated above you get to the point of watching the primer drop, the bar go all the way across and back and listening to any noise that deviates from the normal. You can also tell if any thing is going wrong by the feel of the handle on the down stroke.

Could the rubber in the bar be changed? Mine is good shape but was just wondering.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.