1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

9000H hangs on primer when turret rotates...????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Like the header says...

My Mec 9000H hangs on the primer when the turret tries to roate...

I had a major shot spill and had to remove the resizing collet to get the lead out...and needed to clean and lube it anyway.

When I got everything back together...the darn thing won't rotate unless I disable the auto rotate and do it by hand ...while rocking the first shell up and over the primer.

What gives...anyone???

Thanks Stan

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Can be one of two things. First if primer is in shell it is not all the way in and you have to adjust the seating tube. Lower it a little so the new primer will be seated flush. Second, if shell is hanging up on new primer that is in the seater because it is slightly elevated, then look in the cup to see if there is a piece of shot in the bottom which is keeping the primer from sitting all the way down. HMB

3. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I agree with hmb, But did you change you primer. I had the same thing when I went from Remington to Winchester. The Winchester did not seat in the hull.
    You need to add a little more pressure or drill out the primer hole in the hulls.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

5. StansCustoms

Thanks HMB and guys..

It's like the second thing you mentioned. The shell is hanging on the primer that is in the seater because the primer seems to be slightly elevated.

In fact I even tried another batch of primers thinking I might have some that were not to specs.

I have thoroughly inspected for flattened shot, etc., that might elevate the primer and just finished cleaning the collet and greasing it as directed in the Mec manual.

The loader is really in good shape...I've only had it a month and I bought it new.

Before I had the shot spill I had just finished loading 2 flats of shells.

Something is really screwy here... By the way if I didn't mention it, this is a .410 loader.

I did snag the wad plate when I restarted the loader and almost broke it because it wasn't in the correct position. I had top take both shot and the powder tubes out and dress the bottom uo with a file to get the burrs off...I guess I could heve bent something else on the turret?? but... I have rebuilt two progressive loaders from junk and am proficent in setting the tube depths,etc., I think ??? At this point I'm not sure what is going on...never have seen anything like it.

The primer just sticks up too far....or the shell is supposed to be slightly canted as it slips up and over the primer. There is a slight taper on the edge of the primer seater.....don't know what that is about, but likely has a purpose....perhaps to lean the shell back slightly just before it rotates over on top of the primer.

Stan...

6. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

I have a MEC 9000 and really like it except for the auto advance. I got tired of tweaking it so I disconnected it all and advance it by hand, its great, I wouldn't do it any other way. Scott

7. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Call MEC...

Doc

8. StansCustoms

Good idea Doc...

Spent an 45 minutes on hold already. I wish I could call Mec...

I had to rotate it by hand for a while too Scott...

....but when I finally got everything tweaked it really was smooth and quick. Auto rotation when it's working really puts out some shells...I'm spoiled now.

Best regards...Stan

9. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Stan:
    Your primer seating rod, thru which the powder drops, seems to be needing and adjustment DOWN. You use an allen wrench and loosen the rod at the clamp. Then pull it down just a tad or at least the amount that your primer is sitting proud. Then tighten up that clamp again. The primer seating rod, clamp etc. should NEVER have any oil or grease on them. If it does, it will slip UP (due to the downward pressure of the act of seating the primer by pressing on the hull and base wad).

Please give this a try. I feel this is the cause of your problem.

Like you, I just love progressive presses. That is why my handle is STAR 4 Ever. I have about 7 old STAR Universals that I use for my match pistol ammo reloading.

Hope this helps and happy Thanksgiving to you all.
    Art

10. willing

willing Member

Don't know what shwll you're reloading, but it sometimes rquires a little more force to put an Win primer into a Rem shell the first time.

Bill

11. StansCustoms

No guys...thats not the issue. Once the shell is on top of the primer it seats properly when the powder tube is brought down.

The problem is when the shell is sliding sideways toward the primer statiom ...it hangs on the side of the primer before it slides over on top of it.

The rotation actuator on the backside pops out of position ...and I have to wiggle the shell to get it unhung and then rotate the turret to bring the shell the rest of the way on top of the primer.

I know it's clear as mud but it's the sideways motion that is the issue. It can't move sideways because it's hung on the side of the primer.

Best regards...Stan

12. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Stan, make sure that the tip of the primer seater "stem" is in the little dimple in the loader base, and make sure that the dimple is clear of debris. Probably only makes a few thousandths of an inch difference in the primer height, but might be enough.

13. sstella

sstella TS Member

I had the same problem and found the primer seat collet had worn edges and had to buy a new one and the base of the shell carrier was slightly bent down and had to bend it uowards just a little. Since I made the adjustments it has worked perfictly. MEC help was great in helping debug the problem. They really stand by their products.

14. StansCustoms

sstella

Finally got a Mec tech...haven't tried it yet but the shell carrier may need to be bent up a little as you mentioned...

I'll know more tomorrow...I'm just too beat to fiddle with it tonight.

Thanks ...Stan

Ohiomike..

All is good in the area you mentioned...but thanks for the suggetion, it never hurts to touch base on even the simplier stuff. I've overlooked more obvious stuff before...in fact I'm gettin' better at it the more birthdays I have..lol>

Thanks...Stan

15. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Read this about drilling your Remington hulls primer socket when using Winchester primers.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=194368

16. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

Welcome to the MEC loader family-----------
    This won't be the last issue either. However, it's one of the easyier fix's. When using Winchester primers in a Remington hull for the first time with the 9000H you have to as stated above adjust the tube down to apply more seating pressure. (Considerably more pressure).
    Stand a Winchester primer up beside a Remington on the table and you will see why the Remington hull is not likeing the Winchester primer. You may also need to adjust the turret timing screw on the back a bit. I have two 9000H loaders, they both like Remington hulls. However, both have the same problem when using Winchester primers for the first time if you don't use more than normal seating pressure. Try some Federal 209A's on the first reload they seem to seat a little easyier for me.

Wl

17. StansCustoms

No guys...thats not the issue. Once the shell is on top of the primer it seats properly when the powder tube is brought down.

The problem is when the shell is sliding sideways toward the primer statiom ...it hangs on the side of the primer before it slides over on top of it.

The rotation actuator on the backside pops out of position ...and I have to wiggle the shell to get it unhung and then rotate the turret to bring the shell the rest of the way on top of the primer.

I know it's clear as mud but it's the sideways motion that is the issue. It can't move sideways because it's hung on the side of the primer.

18. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Take out the reprise tapered primer holder from the machine, NEXT take a new primer and place it in the pocket. If the new primer sticks above this pocket OR is not flush, your pocket is not drilled to spec. If the primer is flush as it should be, make sure the primer holder is fit into/ seated all the way to the shoulder.
    The only other option is to do a "google" search looking for 209 primer specs or measurements and make sure your batch of primers are in spec.
    I'll be shocked if a bent shell rotator is the issue. You loaded two flats no issues.....is there anything else you've forgot to mention?

Make sure and follow up on the issue.

Good luck! Kurt

19. creek

creek Member

I have had this problem as well (if I understand you correctly).
    The primer in station #1 is not falling all the way out and when the machine indexes, the primer gets caught up when the shell is indexing to station #2.

If that is the problem on your 9000H, that was my problem. A hydraulic MEC sometimes doesn't give all the power to completely remove (deprime) the hull, because it is struggling to place an oversize primer into the hull on station #2.and it jams on the side of the almost spent primer. Using a non Remington primer in a once fired Remington hull will sometimes stop a 9000H from fully cycling (bottoming), keeping the spent primer from fully falling out to the spent primer tray.

I fixed this problem by taking the deprimer rod off and putting a washer between the carriage and the depriming tool giving it more downward travel to clear the spent primer before the hull indexed to station two.

Since I added the washer I have not had any problems. I hope this helps.

John Radtke (CREEK)

20. StansCustoms

Kurt...
    I will update when I get this fixed ...thanks for the input. Filing a little off the post would fix this issue I'm sure...but iI don't understand what could have changed that made the post seem longer???

The primer definitely is a little out of the hole...hence the edge of the hull catches it.

...and yep it is spotless with no lead or other build up, and is properly seated in the underside of the turret platform and in the base.

Best regards...Stan

Creek...
    Not really what I'm dealing with, but thanks for the help...I have full set of these, and you never know when that tip would be very helpful.

Best regards...Stan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec loaders primers not falling into set assemble

primer does not drop into spring pad mec 9000