1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

9000G reloader question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I loaded about 5 cases of shell last night and noticed that on the upswing of the handle it seems to bind about two thirds of the way up. Any suggestions. I lubed the recommended places with no change. Jackie B.

2. gingerdutch

gingerdutch TS Member

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Does it bind after the collet releases? If before you need to grease the collet.

Work the loader when it is empty and see if it moves freely. Then run a single shell through it and see. You should be able to make some kind of observation as to where the bind is created.

HM

4. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

It does it on all the loaders. Put grease oil or what I use and anti seaz on it. That will take care of the problem for you. I have never had to unload the loader before. I just greased things up and kept going.

5. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Go to your local auto parts house and get a tube of anti-seize. Apply it to the outside of the collet fingers with a q-tip and problem will most likely disappear. If you don't fix it, it'll get a bad enough snap to flip the primers upside down.

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Jack, I've had the same problem lately. Even after applying anti-seize, it was good for only about 100 shells. I backed off the Collet (loosened it) about 1/4 to 1/2 turn and that helped. I've also noticed it is worse with Win AA's. Almost no problem with STS's. Why, I don't know. I'm curious if anyone else has problems with AA's in the MEC?

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

When I used a MEC 9000 for reloading and this problem arrised it was usually due to a piece of shot/debris stuck in between the collet fingers. I would always check to see if the collet was dry (needing lubed), if there was plenty of anti-sieze I stated picking in between the collet fingers to find the debris.

Dove Commander,

Look very closely at your collet fingers. I'd almost bet that you have a small sliver of shot in between the fingers somewhere. That is the classic symtoms of a dirty collet.

ec90t

8. Shooting Jack

Thanks fellas but it is happening after the collet is released. I have a large container of Napa antisieze which I use on all of my progressive loaders. It does not always feel so bound up but occurs the last third of the way of the handle going up. I will take the bottles off and see if that changes anything althought I don't see how it could but will try it. Jackie B.

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

Do everything you can and then think about calling MEC. I fooled around with a problem on my 9000 for about a week. Finally called MEC and their guy gave me an instant answer. They've heard of everything and if you're having a problem, chances are someone else has also in the past. The collet seems to be the seat of an awful lot of problems. I keep mine very clean and well lubricated.

Bruce

10. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Someone mentioned applying the anti seize lubricant with a Q tip. The brushes in the maintenance kit are just like the flux brushes you find in the plumbing/soldering section of your home improvement store. I have had a problem on a Grabber where once in a great while a spent primer will get caught going down into the tray and I have to clean out the lifter. I have also had rubber washers or bar inserts not wanting to let the charge bar return to home easily. Could it be something hanging on not wanting to raise the lifter which would push the shell out of the collet?

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

2 things the Qtip is best because you dont want the lube in the collet . . The anti seize is ok but tends to dry out. I found that case lube or STP works good and dont dry. Jack see if bolt/nut on bottom of return piston is loose. rick

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have found that if the unit starts to act up. Check the Collet for some shot debris or some type of dirt.
    As long as there is lube on the collet and it was working before something happen. No need to ajust anything. Start looking for the problem. You will find it.
    Ajustment shoud be made only on a good working press.
    John

13. Shooting Jack

Thanks fellas, It turned out I had two problems. The nut adjuster for the collet was not turned flat even with the base and I don't have a clue how it got turned. I also found two pieces of flattened shot in the bottom of the collet. I was using a pick to clean the collet and found them. I cleaned the collet totally and relubed it with antisieze. Problem solved. Jackie B.

14. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

At a gun show recently a vendor had some tools for sale. In these tools were some retired dental picks. They have been great for finding and removing shot from collets. YMMV Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.