1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

9000G Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SirMissalott, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Having issues with my collete sometimes causing shells not to go down all the way w/o a little coaxing. Have reloaded A LOT with it and it's probably just dirty and gummed up. What is a good way to clean & lube. Thanks in advance Jim W

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Lay a bunch of rags under the collet and hose it down with Gumout carburetor cleaner, blow dry and relube. Seems like I attempted to polish inside of the fingers on mine with some 320 grit sandpaper, but it took a while. I'm sure there are better ways.

Also make sure it is not overtightened and is opening enough on release. Just tighten the collar until the gaps disappear when the handle is down all the way. GL.

3. SirMissalott

Thanks GL

4. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I actually had one wear out -- when you have used one a zillion years or so, the fingers can get pretty weak from all that bending, and they stay bent in to where the shell will not fall down to the bottom of the collet where it belongs. I found it a little bit hard to replace the darn thing, but that is what it took. the beav

5. SirMissalott

Thanks GL

6. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I actually had one wear out -- when you have used one a zillion years or so, the fingers can get pretty weak from all that bending, and they stay bent in to where the shell will not fall down to the bottom of the collet where it belongs. I found it a little bit hard to replace the darn thing, but that is what it took. the beav

7. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

There are many ways to lube it. But the problem is not lube.

The problem is the fingers have lost the ability to spring back fully. The shell is caught mid-way by the fingers, lever is pulled and the shell base is crushed. Lube had nothing to do with it. Solution?

Buy new fingers from MEC and install them, or...

Remove from your reloader the collet that slides up and down. Retain the fingers (after spreading them to the correct distance.) You will have lost the re-size function. Did you really need it? Most of the other reloaders do not have that feature. I buy new shells and reload them 5 or 6 times. I also buy once fired hulls and have never, in 15 years, had a shell that would not load.

Your shell base was fire formed to your gun anyway. So what are you re-sizing for anyway? If the shell came out, it will go back in.

8. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

JCL, if it worked, it would merely be needless. When it causes a problem, it is still needless and a problem besides.

Your advice to MEC was correct. And I have told them the same. Also at the Grand.

9. SirMissalott

Makes scene to me thanks to all

10. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Jim,

I fixed the problem on my MEC 9000G collet. The collet was not broken, nor was it dirty with broken pieces of shot wedged in it. No new parts were required. Over time they tend to compress to the point where the hull will not drop down into thecollet freely, and that's the key. I made a simple jig to expand the collet / fingers back out, using a "C" clamp to hold it. I let them set for a period of time to help with "memory" in the metal. You do not have to heat it.

Keep the collet resizing nut setting to a bare minimum because tightening it unnecessarily only tends to compress the collet fingers which can cause the problem I was having.

There is a possibility that down the road the collet may need to be replaced. The memory in that metal can possibly return to it's smaller inside diameter. Only time will tell. Try it & good luck.

PM or e-mail me if you get stuck.

Jon Reitz

11. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

CharlesK80's advice on resizing may be fine if only one gun is involved, and the chamber(s) aren't on the tight size to start with.

I've had barrel chambers that varied significantly in size, due both to original manufacturer's tolerances and wear over time, and have had to resize once-fired hulls to make sure they'd chamber in all the barrels.

SirMissalott's problem could be due improper collet lubrication, dirt or debris (often a piece of shot) caught in the fingers, or a cracked finger which often cannot be easily seen without removing the collet.

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I feel that MTA Tom is right on with what he said. It may be true that shells shot in one gun never need resizing but I shoot several O/U's and three different auto's and can assure you that without resizing they will not work. Tried and proven by my own experience. Jackie B.

13. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

SirMissalott,

The best way to clean the collet is remove it and the closure and wash it in hot soapy water {dawn cuts the grease better} and dry with a hair dryer. If you think the collet is a little weak get 2 strips of wood and put the collet in a vice using the stripes on each side so you don't mess up the threads and get a 1/2" wood dowel and taper the end a little and tap it in spreading the peddles and let it set over night. This will give you more spring back in the collet. Reassemble with putting ANTISEIZE only on the inside of the closure nut, {not the peddles} and the flat back side that rides against the base. Adj the collet flush to the top of the base and the shell lifter also.

see if this takes care of your problem.

thanks
    lee

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Another thing you might check. Take out the hollow piece that the primer falls through and make sure that is clean.

Just pull it straight up and wipe if off. That can accumulate a lot of crap and it will also keep your shells from going into the collet right.

Hauxfan!

15. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid to wipe a shitload of anti sieze on the collet closure. The first few hulls are messy, but you have to heep it lubed. The other fixes/adjustments make sense to me.

16. SRT8

SRT8 TS Member

It takes about 30 minutes to change out the collet. Did one myself just the other day. The MEC manual provides a detailed instruction on how to change it.

The reason I changed mine was to replace the original collet with a polished collet to load Federal Paper. The original collet would leave wrinkles in the paper hull. MEC sold me a new polished collet for $27.

If you keep the collet clean and lubed regularly with anti-seize, it will last a long time. Had the original collet for 11 years with approximately 50,000 shells through it and still is like new.

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Funny thing has crossed my mind....WHY has no one developed a conversion kit to go back to the resize rings. I to have learned to hate the collet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.