1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

9000G Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leftex, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

I bought a 9000G from a guy who quit shooting ceveral years back. After replacing the gas spring it seems to work well. About every 10 shells the primer doesn't fall all the way into the primer seater. Any suggestions.
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

i would clean that loader with some oil an skuff pad its nasty then ck ur pull chain

3. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

You can tweek where the primer falls, you might Be slightly off but there's probably a better chance that because of the grime the table isn't indexing as far as it should. You should hear an audible click as the table indexes from station to station.

4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I agree clean the press and put some light oil on the moving parts and some light grease on the resize.
    In you photo with the powder spill I wouldn't be surprised that the primer pocket has powder in it. That will stop the primer from going in the hole.

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Although I like my 9000g I suffer the same problem and mine is not rusty. My primer drop issues are twofold first , the primer sometimes catches just below the tray and where it should drop thru the tube at the hinge. Secondly the same issue of dropping so that the primers fall and sits IN the hole, this also happens if the primer drops late after getting knocked loose from it perch in the Tube and hinge. I have tried all different angles of the tray to no avail??? Frank c

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I'd put that can of Kroil to work, then begin adjustin'. ;-)

7. leftex

leftex Active Member

Agreed, the press is nasty. I haven't cleaned it yet. However, the primer drops in the right location. The primer pocket is clean despite what shows in the picture and the shell plate turns smoothly. It almost seems like a 366 when you raise the handle a little faster than you should. I don't suppose there is a way to slow the rotation of the shell plate?
    Thanks,
    Wayne

8. djldb6

djldb6 Member

Hi Wayne,

If you hadn't said you replaced the gas indexing cylinder I would have thought that was the issue. If the shell plate is moving too slowly the primer tips instead of drops and gets hung up. You may also want to check the timing of your primer drop. It should drop when the carriage is all the way down, if it drops too soon, it will cant a bit in the shell carrier and then tip more over when it hit the primer station. At least that has been my experience. I used to get 1/10 tip jammers and a new cylinder and re-timing fixed the issue. Haven't had one since.

If all else fails, check with Curly-Nohair on shotgunworld.com. He is a MEC master and can usually get things sorted out.

Dan

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

10. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Assuming that you have the chain on the 100 tray. I use only a business card for tolerance between the tube and the carrier. Make sure that the tray is tilted to give the primer the fastest, smoothest path. I have my chain release the primer BEFORE the tube reaches BDC. If the primer hits to early or late, it tends to jump out of the hole and lays on the carrier. You can hear when the primer hits the carrier and the tube should be at the bottom.

The carrier adjustment timing is fixed by tweaking the bolt at the bottom of the piston and the ovulated nut that the piston snaps onto. If these two are out of adjustment, a new piston may not solve the timing issue. I have sold many pistons to customers who later brought the machine by for tweaking with the new piston. Instructions on the MEC site. Omaha

11. leftex

leftex Active Member

The primer drops flat into the hole in the shell plate as it should. The problem occurs as the plate rotates over the primer seating pad. The primer doesn't always drop straight down. I called mec and the tech told me to get the newer style primer seating pad with a tapered hole. I have that. Still a little puzzled. Wayne

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Lube your collet and see what happens. Sometimes it will snap back and hit the primer before the shell holder indexes. Also, sometimes the collet is a little high.

I have been known to take a Dremel tool and grind a notch in the collet to keep it from dislodging the primer.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Polish that primer seating pad, it looks kind of grungy. It may case drag as the primer slides into place, tilting it. Steel wool or Brillo should do it. I might even wax it.

HM

14. cabman

cabman TS Member

I have been having the same problem as frankc.

"My primer drop issues are twofold first , the primer sometimes catches just below the tray and where it should drop thru the tube at the hinge"

I am using the new style primer tray on an automate. I simply can't figure out why it gets hung up in that spot.

15. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

I have had the same problem leftex. Remove your primer seat pad polish it, also the carosel propably has grime under it remove the base of the loader and clean all the parts to where the shell plate and spacers are clean and put it back together the dirt will keep the shell plate slightly elevated causeing it to tip the primer as it goes across the primer pad. This worked for me have not had the problem for 2 years now after doing this procedure. Hope this helps.

16. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

Does it have the new primer feed ? Well worth it

17. maka

maka Member

Check in the back of the press to see if the bracket that holds a small indexing ball is still there. Also check if the ball is still in place. The bracket is located under the main coluom main spring. Good luck.

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I agree. The primer is hanging up on the scuz on the carrier. Got to be smooth as a baby's butt.

19. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

Besides all the advice above, I took a dremel tool to the top of the collet teeth the can snap back and flip the primer. Just grind them down slightly.I haven't had any "flipped" primers in two years since I dremeled the collet teeth near the primer hole.

20. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Unplugged: Do you grind ALL the teeth or just those toward the next station?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.