1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

9000G problem Help!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leftex, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

I can load one shell completely, no problem. I can put two in a row through the machine, no problem. When I try to add a 3rd shell, the handle goes about half way down and stops solidly. I've seen this before but cannot remember the fix.
    Somebody please refresh my memory.

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Your machine is possessed by demons, be careful. HMB

3. loop02

loop02 Member

Do you know if your house was built on an old Indian burial Ground? That could be your problem also.

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had the same problem and never figured it out. Since I'd used the reloader for many years I bought a new one. The problem I had was with the depriming station-#1. I kept thinking the deprimer was not centering itself. I don't know but I started depriming empties on an old deprimer/resizer I've had for 40 years. As long as I did that I had no problems. But that is not why one buys a 9000.

5. vdt

vdt Active Member

the hull is not dropping all the way down in resizer

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Your spent primers are stacking up under the shell follower so it can't drop, drill a hole in your bench and put a bucket under it to catch the spent primers. Good luck.

7. quartering

quartering Active Member

push down a little harder! or clean/check between the resizer petals. it's an idiotic design: putting the resizer under the shell plate. stuffs gonna drop down in there. good luck with it. oh, and make sure it's well lubed. use tri flow grease. it's sticky grease. it stays where you put it. bicycle shops have it

8. leftex

leftex Active Member

Apparently the wad guide had become off center of the hull. Re centered it and all is well. Don't know if that was really the problem or not but the machine seems OK. Thanks for the tips.

Wayne

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

"push down a little harder!" is a good way to break a resizer petal.

10. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Wayne,

The hull won't drop down into the collet because the collet fingers tighten up over time. DO NOT push down harder. This will only make your problems worse. The “memory” in the steel in the collet fingers causes the problem you have, over time.

The collet assembly needs to be removed any then completely cleaned and dried. Take an extended socket or something of the right diameter and force it down into the collet fingers. Push it all the way down in so that the collet fingers are completely spread. Clamp it in place with a large C-clamp and leave it over night. Lube the OUTSIDE of the collet fingers with never-seize and reassemble the collet assembly at station #1. The collet adjusting nut, which does your resizing on a 9000G, should not be adjusted up too far in a clockwise position. While this will resize your shells O.D. smaller, it will also cause the collet fingers to close back closer together sooner over time, which is what causes your problem in the first place. So adjust it in a clockwise direction to resize your shells as needed, but no more than that.

For what it’s worth, MEC’s solution to this problem is to install a new collet, but they are $40-45 each, plus shipping. That’s why I figured out how to repair my own, unless a collet finger gets broken. I’ve done 5-6 machines this way.

Good luck, and feel free to PM or e-mail me if you wish.

Jon Reitz

11. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Jcl,

Most guys with Spolars and PWs resize their steel base shells in a collet resizer so their loaders will produce shells that work.

12. dhip

dhip Active Member

OK,thought I'd run this by you guys also,not trying to Hyjack thread.

When I pull handle down,once in a while I get a hard snap.Try looking to see what's causining it,to no avail. Afew times it was when spilled shot,a piece got into collett.However this last time,nothing in collet.It eventually stops,but I'm worried about damaging the unit when it happens.

Doug H.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is it the wad going into the hull that's making the noise? HMB

14. dhip

dhip Active Member

Nope,a very discernable sharp snap,like metal againest metal

Doug H.

15. dhip

dhip Active Member

When I discovered the shot in the collet ,it was when,believe it or not,they'd round off the borrom of gunclubs,making the shell useless.

Doug h.

16. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

I tore my resizer all apart this winter, cleaned it & reassembled it only to not have it work. After some screwing around I realized that the large nut that is just below the sizer is actually quite adjustable. After a whole bunch of trial & error, I finally got it where it should be & it actually works better now than when it was new. Prior to this, sometimes on the up stroke, it would sort of catch & snap & then the primer that was dropping would jump & not fall correctly & end up upside down or out of the hole altogether. Since I made this adjustment, I haven't had any issues to speak of & can load faster than ever. I am not sure that is what is wrong with yours, but it is worth a look. Be patient as it isn't a quick fix. I think I messed around for a couple of hours from the start of cleaning process until I got it working smooth again. The end result was well worth the time spent. And I don't use grease for all the reasons mentioned above. A quick squirt of Rem oil around the fingers every 1000 rounds or so keeps it smooth & doesn't collect as much crud as grease. You will know when it needs some as it will feel like it is starting to catch on the up stroke. Good luck & don't throw out the baby with the bath water.....it is a good machine!

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had the same situation at one time and it was the wad. I don't know what kind it was but I remember it being a, oh what the heck is it-8 petal wad but had two distinct outer rings that made double clicks.

18. gregt

gregt TS Member

Go to shotgun world and in the reloading section there is lots of info on this problem if you do a search. Otherwise there is a guy on there that goes by Curly No Hair and he can answer nearly any problem on mec reloaders. http://www.shotgunworld.com/

19. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Certain wads going through the guide will make exactly the sound you describe. I still don't understand how those materials can make that sound but they do.

20. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

The plate that carries the shells from stations maybe out of position ... the shell that is in the deprime/resize station has to be aligned with the jaws or it will stop part way drop ... jaws begin to close in and the shell cannot drop all the way down ... it is all a timing problem ... look in your manual and find the gas spring in the parts sheet should be #8791 ...there is a nut on the end off the shaft (on the bottom side) ... by turning the nut ... just a little at a time ... you change the position of the plate ... this aligns the shell to the jaws ... this should fix it for you ... Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.