1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

90-T REMINGTON questions??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

What can you guys tell me about the Remington 90-T? I have heard they were made by Kolar...true? Are they all as heavy as the few I have picked up? Are they as durable as they seem to be? Is there one model that is more desirable than the others? What should I expect to pay for one if I decide to get one?
    Now here are the tough ones...would I be better off investing about the same money in a used Ljutic? How about a used Citori Plus? What do you think? Any and all information and opinions are appreciated!! Thanks, Jack

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

You can buy a used 90t for 1400.00 to 2500.00 depending on what you want to spend and condition. I bought one off the bulletin board board at the Brown county gun club for 1400.00 when the cheapest one one you could find was 2000.00. Been shooting it for 3 years at handi-cap. It took me to the 27 yard line. They are a very well built gun. JMHO, Bill

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

They were indeed made by Kolar and, like a lot of good solid shotguns, have their loyalist following. I prefer the higher post rib and I like their heavier weight and feel. I do not like the cold metal on my right hand when shooting in very cold temperatures.

Obviously, shoot one before buying.

-Gary

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Yes these guns were made by Kolar. I owend a 90-T standard low rib, standard fixed choke barrel with factory adjustable comb and lop adjustable butt plate. The gun had a good heft, about 10 lbs maybe more with the weight bias behind the breech. The thing was built like a tank, good quality, nicely finished and locked up like a vault.

I shot a thousand or so rounds through it, it was a flat shooter for me 50/50. Very low recoil, moved and pointed well. I bought it from a friend who needed money. I sold to a person who had seen me shooting it and asked if he could give a try. He liked so much that I sold it to him. If I hadn't been up to my ears in guns I didn't need, I would have kept it and and stayed with it.

A friend who may ring in here just bought a low ribbed heavy barrel which moves the bias forward and adds more weight.

I don't think you can buy an equivalent Ljutic in the same price range as a
    90-T

The guns range in price depending if it's a standard flat ribbed barrel, heavy barrel or high rib hi par. Upgraded factory wood and factory engraved side plates add cost. They're very good guns.

Surfer

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Have one fixed rib and one HPAR. They are all the above and more... a great value in a SBT!

Jay

6. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Ive had mine since 1997 and feel its the best value in a single barrel trap gun. A standard low rib with adjustable comb and butt. Its fixed choke at .034 and grinds up targets if I do my part.Its as simple as a sundial and I've had zero problems with it. A lot to like with the 90t.A nice mechanical trigger that drops out for service.My only complaint is that the blueing thins pretty quickly. If your in the NE Ohio area look me up and you can try mine.NOT for sale though!

7. Dr. Dirt

Dr. Dirt TS Member

I have a low rib with adjustable comb and gracoil. Fixed choke at .34.It weighs 10.25 lbs. but balances well when on your shoulder. See if forearm and locking lug updates have been done. Check out Dougs gunsmith shop website. He is a master at working on the 90t. By far the best trap gun I have owned.

8. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

I picked up a 90-T HPAR at Elysburg, from a dealer this past summer. Who ever owned it before, took real good care of it. I have only shot about 400 rounds thru it but I love it. It has a Gray-Co recoil reduction device, soft comb, ported and choke tubes. It came in an Americase with extra parts and allen wrenches and an air pump. I paid $2,500.00 for it. Doug Braker installed the main spring for me when I changed it from pull to release. You won't regret owning one.

Vern

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

The first of many guns built like a tank from the Kolar guys. Great SBT gun.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Second best gun (SBT) for the money. First BT-99 only because of cost. After that reliability of the 90-T moves well past the $2000 range. It is a very well built gun. If you can find one in the $1600 to $2000 range in very good condition you should give it a try.

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Martinpicker:

I'll touch on two questions that haven't already been adequately addressed. I'll also toss in a few additional comments you may find helpful.

Q: Is there one model (of 90-T) that is more desirable than the others?

A: There are two models. The low rib and high rib. The comb and rib were adjustable on the high rib guns as they came from the factory. Neither was adjustable on low rib guns.

A high rib 90-T will cost more than a low rib 90-T of comparable condition. Expect to pay at least $1600 for a decent* low rib. A REALLY nice one with some after market improvements could go as high as $2100 or $2,200.
    Expect to pay at least $2,200 for a decent* high rib. A REALLY nice one can run $2,700 or more.

Another factor in determining price is whether one or both updates have been done. The updates include the angle of the locking lug and a forearm modification. Drop me a PM if you need more information on the updates.

Which version is more desirable? Desirable is like beauty - all in the eye of the beholder.

Q: Would I be better off investing about the same money in a used... Citori Plus?

A: One can't really compare a single barrel trap with an over/under. They're two different creatures with different advantages and disadvantages.

It's been my experience shooters either like 90-T's a lot or don't like them at all.

FWIW, I've shot a low rib for singles and handicap since 1997 and a regular Citori (not a Plus) since I began shooting doubles in the early 90's.

sissy

* A "decent" gun means well used but mechanically sound. It'll have some bluing wear and the typical wood dings of a used gun. A really nice gun will be close to pristine mechanically and cosmetically.

12. shootnair

shootnair Member

I currently shoot a High Rib 90T and have been for years. I should tell you all the good things about it in comparison to other guns for the money but someone would just bash my thread. So here is my opinion on the guns you mentioned.
    A lujtic will compare in durability but more expensive. There is no comparison
    in durability of a newer Browning. I like Browning and have shot them because they are in my price range but apples and oranges in comparisons.
    A plus to owning a 90T is Doug Braker out of Backus, MN. Some of the best customer service available if needed.
    You will want the updates done if you try to sell it or it starts acting up otherwise just shoot it.
    I would say the weakest part of 90T is the rib on a adjustable. Watch for stripped threads.
    Well balanced, point nice, and low recoil.

13. racer

racer TS Member

I shot a high rib for a couple years- nice guns. Folks say they were made by Kolar but I think they were truely made by a machine shop for Remington that evolved into the Kolar Arms Co. I can't remember the name right now- Dan

14. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I have had my 90T since 96. I think it's a great gun. It's a low rib model with an adjustable comb. I had one problem with it over the last 15 years. I took it into Kolar and they repaired it while I waited. I have shot some K and P guns and I prefer my 90T over those. But, like others advise, shoot one and decide for yourself.

Joe

15. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

I bought a new 90-t 1996, a low rib and sold it to a friend a year latter. Biggest mistake i have ever made. Then several years ago i bought a used high rib one. it was nice but it was ported, and i don't like porting so that one was sold when a fellow trapshooter made me an offer i couldn't refuse. I wanted another one so bad i put an add on here looking for another one. Long story short, bought a nice high rib one from Joe90-T one here. ( great guy if you ever deal with him by the way. ) I compare the high rib 90-T to the perazzi TM9X and the mono block looks like it was machined just like a 90-T. even the ejector looks the same. Both high ribs, both adjustable combs, both drop out triggers, both built like a tank. to me the only difference was about $6,000.00. I love the 90-T. Dale

16. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

P.S. I like my 90-T SO Much i'm selling my new beretta 682 combo on here. Dale

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I am pretty sure it is the strongest single ever made and one of the best

It wasnt really made by Kolar

It was assembled by Kolar

The receiver and barrel were Remington

The stocks were made by Fajen

The Trigger housing and design was Remington although Kolar put it together- put a rib on it- and blued it and had Fajen make the wood for it

I actually went to Fajen to be fitted for a 90T when Fred was there

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Oh there is another variation- there is a heavy barrel 90T= balances very well when you have an adjustable comb and hardware in the stock

18. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Thanks to all who have already responded. How does the trigger compare to others? So far I get....
    A.) Yes, these are good guns.
    B.) Yes, Kolar was involved in their production.
    C.) Yes, they are all heavy!
    D.) Model is personal choice.
    E.) Pay $2000 or less for a 90T. Jack

19. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Jack, I live Over here In New Mexico And kinda handle A Lot Of 90T's I Have (4) For sale Now (Not Hinting To Buy From me)And They Have GREAT Pull or Release triggers. Very Few Parts In Trigger Group Compaired To Some Other Makes. Yes The Bluing Wears Thin Pretty Fast But, I Had Robert Burton In Leveland, Tx Reblue One And It Is STAYING Nice. Built Like A Tank And Worth More Than They sell For. All I Have Now Are Low Ribs But, I Shoot Them Better Than A High Rib. Cost From 1700.00 To 2000.00 Release Or Pull. You Can Not Go Wrong On A 90T. Joe

20. Dr. Dirt

Dr. Dirt TS Member

What do you suppose they would cost if they were being made today?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.