1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

90/10

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by deadelk, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadelk

deadelk Member

I am considering a gun with a 90/10 point of impact. It seems to me that this configuration would lessen the vertical movement of the gun, thus reducing the time required to find the lead and make the shot. Any input?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot it before you buy it, and see if it works for you. HMB

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I like a high impact and it just makes sense to have your impact working for you. That said, No matter how much sense it makes it may not work for you. I would shoot it first and see if you like it. I have had many people shoot my guns and comment about how hard they hit them and they often wonder what magic choke I have. No magic... It's the diffrence between hitting the targets with more pellets VS less pellets. If you see the target when you pull the trigger it makes no sense to have pellets under where you are looking. This is a rising target game. Jeff

4. 100straight

100straight Member

I shoot a gun that is 100%. In other words, where I see the bead is at the very bottom of the pattern. When I first started it took me 6 months to get used to, but I grew to love it. I always have the bird well above the barrel, and I can't count the number of times I've hit birds that would have been lost with a flatter shooting gun in the wind when they were bing pushed down because I was able to see the bird drop and follow the bird. I used to shoot a gun that I came up to the bird and just touched it before firing. The big learning curve is to learn NOT to come all the way up to the bird before you shoot. You'll shoot over the bird almost every time. I shoot what appears to be 8-12" under the bird, but I shoot quick, so with the rise of the bird it ends up centered in the pattern. If you shoot slow, you probably won't shoot well with a high paterning gun, again because you'll be shooting over the birds.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

To quote HMB:

"Shoot it before you buy it, and see if it works for you. HMB"

Since I take "I am considering" as "I'm thinking of buying" it only makes sense to try it first. Many can hit with a gun like that; just as many - or more, perhaps - cannot.

Neil

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

It took me a long time to get used to the 60/40 gun I shoot now. Personally, I can't shoot a 90/10 gun. I can't get past the need to intentionally point UNDER a target to hit it. I was trained to aim at what I intend to hit...not under it! (Yes, I know "AIM" is the wrong word.)

Mike

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

deadelk, I'll third the try it before you buy it advice, but I'll add it may not tell you very much in just a couple rounds. The faster you move and the sooner you take your birds, the harder it is to get used to a high shooting gun. But once you do, you'll never go back.

8. southpark

southpark TS Member

I would toss out any theoretical approach to what "should" work better for shooters in general.

I have talked to All-American shooters who shoot well over 120% high patterns, and one that has shot 50/50 well enough to have a Perazzi named for him.

Fit the gun to your shooting don't fit your shooting to the gun.

Good luck.

9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Have you shot this gun yourself??? Just because it shoots 90-10 for someone else does NOT mean it will shoot 90-10 for you. Trapshooting is KNOWING what YOUR eye wants to look at. I cannot shoot a 90-10 gun others can. In my opinion if this is a fixed POI gun, don't buy it. It is alreaady out dated. Get a gun that is adjustable..........

GS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.