1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

90/10 60/40 etc.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by moose!!!, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

I am really new to the sport(s). I just recently found out what all the numbers ??/?? stood for.

My question is there a formula or rule of thumb. Like for the butt stock add 1/4" and it will move your thumb 1 more inch back from your nose is there a similar formula for the comb like lower the comb 1/16 and you will drop your POI 25% or something like that? Maybe this is just a dumb question? Please dont beat me up too bad. I was just thought I would ask before I started with the patterning my new gun. Thanks for your input on this subject

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Raising or lowering your comb 1/16" will raise or lower your POI 2" at 35 yards...I believe.

Bryan

3. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

You'll probably get a lot of answers here. Basically there are no exact formulas, only that the gun has to fit you & that usually involves some trial & error. Hopefully there is someone experienced at the club where you shoot that can offer assistance. Assuming you are shooting trap from the 16 yd. line, what kind scores are putting up? You may be fairly close already. John

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I suggest you try to avoid using this term (percent high), as it is ambiguous, and it means different things to different people.

Really.

A better way to describe it is, "my gun shoots center of pattern Y inches high at XX yards."

This is clear, and unambiguous.

Generally speaking, what Bryan said is accurate for the relationship between comb movement and POI. But again, this is a "rule of thumb" and you really need to pattern to see what's what.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

or, 1/16 comb height = 1" at 16 yds...

also, as was stated, just tell how many inches above point of aim it shoots at the distance your shooting at..

" My gun shoots 6 inches high at 16 yds" would tell us it probably shoots a whole pattern high at 40 yards.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The first thing to find out at the patterning board is if your gun shoots straight. So fire five or six shots and see if it centered left and right. HMB

7. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I have found it is best to (rest) your gun somehow to get the best results. I use patterning for adjustment left and right, then if you know what you want height wise do that. The KEY is knowing what height you need. I always thought I shot a hight gun 80/20 90/10 - but in fact I shoot a 60/40 and that makes a big difference! It is best to get your left and right adjustments set. Then go to a range, lock the trap on straights from station 3 and adjust height by getting smoke balls then check your pattern if it is 80/20 or what ever, that is where you need to start all of you guns. Of course things change over time so you will probably need to check everything over the years. Best of luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.