1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

9 year old breaks 100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RickN, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

This picture and caption was printed in the Illinois Southern newspaper.

___Nine-year-old Gage Thornton (left) and older brother Hunter, 11, walk off the line at the Grand American Friday. Gage broke 100 straight targets in competition Wednesday, becoming just the second nine-year-old to accomplish the feat in competition. Hunter broke 100 as a 10-year-old last year. (Les Winkeler / The Southern)___

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Darn kids. I've been trying to do that all summer. Congratulations to Gage.

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

After reading this, I'm thinking of selling my guns and taking up golf. Great shooting kids.
    Steve Balistreri

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

A lotta paper route money in those guns.

At 9 I had a Western Auto. 22......

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

BigM, at 9 I had a Springfield single shot .22 and Pop had the box of shells he doled out 5 shells at a time.

More power to those young guys tho....start'em early.

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

You guys were lucky, I think I was still carrying my Red Rider from Daisy :)

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Several weeks ago I shot regisered doubles with these youngsters. They both scored in the mid 90's : )

sissy

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Good shootin.....I don't know which I'm most jealous of, the shooting score or the full head of hair. lol

9. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

It amazes me that no one questions the quality of a game that prepubescent children can be perfect at.

Wouldn't you really prefer a game for adults? Something that children aren't so easily able to do?

just asking ................

10. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

What kind of game are you thinking of there, Semper?

Maybe something that doesn't give an advantage to quick reflexes and good(young) eyesight? Perhaps a game that can be played without a care for the costs involved? Kind of like you had no mortgage, car payments or college educations and/or retirement to fund.

Whatever type of game for adults you do have in mind, it surely does not resemble
    anything in the shooting sports.

Be happy for the young lads....they are future of the game we all enjoy.

11. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

These two boys, shot in the squad before me a couple times last week. I would like to add what GREAT people they are!! These guys, and a young lady they also shot with, are the BEST.

Let me tell ya', they are the first to shake hands at the end of every event and tell the squad-mates, "Thank you for shooting with me, good luck to you".

With Kids like this, and all the Great young people I seen this last week at the Grand, our sport will make it through thick-n'-thin.

I wish all these kids the best of everything, and would like to say Thank You to their parents too.

Matt Nicol

Perrysburg, Ohio.

12. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Another pic as they were changing posts. I wonder what he was telling his brother?

13. Tracy Boy

Tracy Boy TS Member

May have said "You turned the wrong way from post 5" Great shooting!!

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

COOL!!!! Congratulations. These boys will be the big dogs when they are in there forties.

15. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

These boys have a lot of eating to do before they get to the fence...LOL

Great shooting guys....

16. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

I think he was saying "Don't close your gun so soon, wait till it's your turn"

17. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

And pick up your empties .

18. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Can I have the other hot dog.

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Congrats Gage well done!

It takes a large degree of discipline to be perfect for 100 iterations of anything--nothing easy about that, young or old.

I met a very nice 15 year old young lady and her family from Missouri. She shot a perfect 100 in the Champion of Champions event. She also earned yardage for a 97 in a Cap event and also won during the AIM championships. This is her first full year of competing in the ATA. Look for Taylor Houx, she's another up and comer that we'll see more of in the future.

Another young adult and friend of mine I've watched grow up is John McMahon of Pennsylvania. He was one of the winners of the ATA Scholarships. He goes off to Penn. St. in a few weeks for his freshman year to study Civil Engineering. This was his first Grand, a graduation present from his parents. He is a great shooter also and has won many events in PA, MD, VA and WVA. He'll have to scale back his shooting in the coming years due to school, but that's ok with him as he has his priorities straight.

It's great to see the young, new, and old succeed in our sport--that's one of its unique qualities. Toleration of grumpy old Marines is another.....

Well done to the young Champions and congratulations!

Guy Babin

20. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Semperfi has a point. No doubt this is a talented family. Unfortunately though, it also says a lot about the challenge of ATA trap. Odds are these kids will get bored with ATA trap way before they reach their 40's. Although once they get older and lose most of their eyesight, reflexes, and other faculties, ATA trap will be a challenge again along with bingo, shuffleboard, and bridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.